test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reply to: This doesn't feel like a War.

tarrynrextarrynrex Member Posts: 77 Arc User
Starting a new thread on this reply I made as I really think it's a go-er.

I replied earlier to someone saying that this didn't feel like a war we were in right now:

DEVs if you are listening here. We need to have one of those massive fleet action episodes - just like the ones you've put in lately (Korfez, was it? and the new Romulan episode one). Loads of ships on the horizon and just you and a few others on the fed side. We could even run these missions with a cumulative total - same as the Delta counter, which shows what side is winning or losing. As more people run the episode or team in the STF we would improve and start winning each instance and turn the tide, thus winning the war. Just a thought.
Post edited by tarrynrex on

Comments

• Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    We should be randomly attacked during our Risa leave

We should be attacked randomly while in sector space.

We should have Herald Red Alerts

We should have Herald Fleet Alert STFs

The social Hubs should suffer random attacks.

We should be slightly inconvenienced for pity's sake!

Instead we get flamewars over a TRIBBLE sideshow.
  • Options
    tarrynrextarrynrex Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited June 2015

This would be a good one actually, and provocative!! We could be denied access to bank exchange and mail "due to ongoing war interference" That would get the forums busier!
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Do something similar to Swtor's Rakhgoul (sp?) plague.

Let's say next weekend.. we're all happily grinding Epohh marks and then.. BOOM! T'ket / M'tara appears out of nowhere with her Herald and Elachi minions. Then for X time while on New Romulus... Herald and or Elachi beam down and start attacking.

Ditto for Nimbus, Defera, Drozana, K-7 / Galanda (sp?) station, Vulcan, Andoria and of course.. Risa... M'tara thinks she's "hawt" in her Iconian wear? Wait until she sees all the Gorn. :)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    When we warp to our Fleet Starbases, there should be a chance that we have to fight our way in.

Until we do, we can't dock.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think it would be sufficient if all or most the existing Red Alerts and Sector Enemy Contacts were replaced with encounters with Heralds ships.

Maybe some Foundry authors could also create Herald-related missions for several planets.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Amen

/10char1010101010
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    This doesn't work for everyone though. New players just starting out haven't reached a point in the story where the war is taking place yet.

Well, one could allow only characters of sufficicent level / story advancement. But that's an intersting point.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    When we warp to our Fleet Starbases, there should be a chance that we have to fight our way in.

Until we do, we can't dock.

Simple, don't dock until you successfully do a Tholian red alert.

Oh, it's not so much that you want to be inconvenienced as it is you want everyone else to be inconvenienced, isn't it?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I don't see new players in their Mirandas or starter ground gear being of much help against the Heralds either. How would you scale the invading NPCs in social areas since there are people of varying levels there?

I would not have social area invasions. Just Red Alert and Enemy Signal Contacts.

Making social areas combat zones is a bad idea for STO. It would be terrible for noobs. Maybe you could do something like that in EVE, where people already have to expect PvP behind every corner... (even if it's suicidal.)
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    tarrynrex wrote: »
    Starting a new thread on this reply I made as I really think it's a go-er.

I replied earlier to someone saying that this didn't feel like a war we were in right now:

DEVs if you are listening here. We need to have one of those massive fleet action episodes - just like the ones you've put in lately (Korfez, was it? and the new Romulan episode one). Loads of ships on the horizon and just you and a few others on the fed side. We could even run these missions with a cumulative total - same as the Delta counter, which shows what side is winning or losing. As more people run the episode or team in the STF we would improve and start winning each instance and turn the tide, thus winning the war. Just a thought.

some of you guys just seem to have no idea how this game is set up, we have had the fed.v.kdf war, we have had the fed&kdf.v.borg war, we have even had the occupation of DS9 by founders minions.
    none of this or anything else that has played out has never encroached on any of the other gaming areas as you suggest it should.

if you want to play war heros play the missions and pve ques provided but leave the rest of us alone to enjoy risa and other areas as they are ment to be enjoyed.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I don't see new players in their Mirandas or starter ground gear being of much help against the Heralds either. How would you scale the invading NPCs in social areas since there are people of varying levels there?

The same way other MMOs have- they just fire into the mass of mobs and are typically ignored because their agro is so low.

Or this one, remember this game automatically scales teams.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    some of you guys just seem to have no idea how this game is set up, we have had the fed.v.kdf war, we have had the fed&kdf.v.borg war, we have even had the occupation of DS9 by founders minions.
    none of this or anything else that has played out has never encroached on any of the other gaming areas as you suggest it should.

This game has historically been horrible in its treatment of special events. It should improve.

Also it did better in its younger days, when you could get sucked into combat flying through sector space (even if you could just exit it) and with the Borg Red Alerts. Not idea, but better than what we have now.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    This game has historically been horrible in its treatment of special events. It should improve.

Also it did better in its younger days, when you could get sucked into combat flying through sector space (even if you could just exit it) and with the Borg Red Alerts. Not idea, but better than what we have now.

I happen to think the special events are fine as they are, I don't want to be relaxing on risa or anywhere else for that matter only to be sucked into playing something I am not wanting at the moment, I will play that content when I want to not when the game wants me to, that has always been the beauty of STO for as long as I have been playing, a player is free to play the parts of the game he wants to and is not forced into playing content he doesn't want to.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I happen to think the special events are fine as they are

As in none? You sir are a boring person who likely yells at kids to stop playing on your lawn.

War? Danger Everywhere? Death and more death? Sacrifices? Battle?

Nah, I opt out says bobbydazlers. The story of our time.

We didn't even get a new battlezone for the war that is to resolve basically every STO storyline since launch. Just about every other threat we faced gave us a battlezone or adventure zone from Borg on.

The climax of STO's five year run? We get the equal of one of the old FE releases and nothing else.

This is the lamest war ever.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    the tool to track the wars progression was just used for the delta recruit stuff. it would be easy to apply the same system to all toon lvl 50 and above. and track how many ADVANCED herald stfs succeed vrs fail to move the progression bar. once a certain point is reached they release their new episode to advance the story line and the bar resets.

this gives us a reason to help noobs learn the damn missions, just so they don't fail all the pugs and negate the advances that private channel teams gain. basically forcing pugs to be used more by experienced players to help out the new people some.

and to the op
    tarrynrex wrote: »
    Loads of ships on the horizon and just you and a few others on the fed side.

actually its the allied side right now, that single sightedness is why i really do not like the feds. we do not all fly around in dinnerware with sterile interiors that make you feel like you visiting a isolation ward in a Hospital.

as for the large fleet actions. well with lag the way it is for many if not most people i think its a bad idea. sometimes now the larger mission like entity work fine but often its so laggy you just hope for the best.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    elric071elric071 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There have been a lot of threads about the lack of war feeling in the game of late. I tend to agree that social hubs and special events should be left alone due to the way the story arcs all lead up to the Iconians. As an Lt, you haven't gotten far enough to know they are behind it all. But I do feel that the war could be presented better than three FE's and a few queued events, though.

I was thinking more along the lines of an Iconian Red Alert and a ground/space battle zone. That way you can set the level that the players have to be to be able to participate and you would have more of a war feel at the higher levels where the war is supposed to be happening.

Maybe we could have something along the lines of a new FE. The new FE would be a Delta Flight action that Capt. Parris has requested you for. The meat of the FE could be attacking the new sphere in the Iconian system. Not to destroy it, but the gain a foothold inside the sphere where we can begin to take the war to them. Maybe using those new mega torpedos that the characters in the latest "Tales of War" blog are trying to build. Blow a hole in the outside of the sphere and take some ground and space inside. Completely asinine, I know, I'm just brainstorming some ideas....

Once you have finished the FE, it opens up a ground and a space battlezone for level 60's to join to take ground/area inside the sphere. It also opens up Iconian Red Alerts to you all across the quadrants. It could work just like the Red Alerts now, except that if you are not of an appropriate level, you would see just Borg and Tholian Red Alerts.

I realize this is a lot of work for the Devs and if they haven't started it by now, we wouldn't see it for two seasons, but at least it would feel more like a war and it would leave events and social zones alone.

Anyway, my 2 cents,

Qapla'!
    Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Co-Founder of TOS Veterans and TOS Qan Mang
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That doesn't work well given the Herald's disables, AoE etc. They wouldn't last long enough to do much. You're still relying on higher level players to complete.

It wouldn't be a big deal, anymore that it was a big deal for MMOs ranging from EverQuest to SWG to Champs Online all of which did this sort of thing and which most players loved.

Of course, the people programing for this game do seem to be less... capable. But the answer to that is for them to step up and fix their problems- not simply refuse to do anything worthwhile in this game because they suck.

Good lord, this is the first major storyline in STO to not have a adventure zone since Nukera! It should have something more interesting than stupid fat Klingon death!
  • Options
    lexxie1983lexxie1983 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited June 2015

this right here
    n8eym7c.jpg

click for bigger image
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rofl...

10/char
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lexxie1983 wrote: »
    this right here

Roll a d20 every time you change maps.

On a 1 you got ganked by an Iconian Solar Gate. Delete that captain.

There, you have your inconvenience.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    we Should Be Randomly Attacked During Our Risa Leave

We Should Be Attacked Randomly While In Sector Space.

We Should Have Herald Red Alerts

We Should Have Herald Fleet Alert Stfs

The Social Hubs Should Suffer Random Attacks.

we Should Be Slightly Inconvenienced For Pity's Sake!

Instead We Get Flamewars Over A TRIBBLE Sideshow.

/agreed

/afewmorecharstosupportlamepostingrequirements
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I didn't say it would be a big deal. All I said was these generally favor higher level characters. There were all kinds of alerts/invasions etc. in CoH. Lower level characters always got defeated rather quickly and couldn't contribute much.

I still had a blast doing them, still picked up the rewards for it.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In CoH there were also the safe areas inside a map. The auction houses, stores, and ferry stations to name some. They were guarded by drones that would vaporize any enemy that got close. Also in Rikti invasions, the enemies wouldn't spawn inside such safe zones. It was a good compromise and it worked very well. I don't see why the same couldn't apply to social zones here, but I can see some issues due to the way those zones are designed.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    edited June 2015
    As in none? You sir are a boring person who likely yells at kids to stop playing on your lawn.

War? Danger Everywhere? Death and more death? Sacrifices? Battle?

Nah, I opt out says bobbydazlers. The story of our time.

We didn't even get a new battlezone for the war that is to resolve basically every STO storyline since launch. Just about every other threat we faced gave us a battlezone or adventure zone from Borg on.

The climax of STO's five year run? We get the equal of one of the old FE releases and nothing else.

This is the lamest war ever.

so we should tell cryptic to cancel the summer and winter events plus all the others and just play all the iconian content cryptic can dream up until you say its ok to resume as usual, just because you say it should be that way, and just insult any person that happens to disagree with you.

what a nice person you are.