test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Using Dialog with Contact with reach marker

dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
I am working on my first mission, and I need to figure out a way to begin a dialog with a contact without having to fly up close to the contact.

On my space map, I have a Reach Marker with a large radius. When my ship enters the waypoint designated my the Marker, I want to start a dialog and give the player the option to cancel with an OPS button so they can start it whenever they like. Based on what I've read, you do this by using the failure result on one of your options.

When I try to put a Dialog with Contact into my story, it doesn't work because it requires a contact. So, I put a contact on my map. But now you have to fly right up next to the contact for the Dialog to appear - it doesn't get triggered off the Marker.

So, I tried using a popup dialog triggered by the marker and that works, but I don't have any failure option. :confused:

Is there a work around for this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The map dialog they're referring to isn't an objective, it's a special dialog placed directly on the map. You'll then set the map dialogs state transition to become visible when the same reach marker as your objective is reached.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The map dialog they're referring to isn't an objective, it's a special dialog placed directly on the map. You'll then set the map dialogs state transition to become visible when the same reach marker as your objective is reached.

How do I do that?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    you can add a dialog to a map as an object. You need to set a trigger otherwise the dialog will play when the map loads.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I got it. I had completely missed the fact that you can drag a dialog onto a map. Now I just have to figure out how to halt the story until the dialog ended.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dratikus wrote: »
    How do I do that?

Its the same as making an NPC appear and disappear.

First, drag the dialogue object onto the map (its on the same screen as spawn points and such). Then, set the dialogue to appear when the reach marker objective is completed.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I really really really recommend searching and watching every youtube video by Kirkfat. It answered all these questions before i ever started building anything. Thanks to those it was very easy to get what i wanted out of the editor with very little puzzlement.