test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Latest Radeon driver update causes issues in-game

goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Yesterday I updated to the latest Radeon driver, version 14.501 from 14.301. When I began to play STO, everything seemed fine at first until I started to pull up screens that had DOFF visuals on them. It seemed their faces were badly pixelated and not forming properly. In some cases, the faces were missing and replaced with either black or white pixels

This morning, I rolled back the driver and everything was fine. Beware of this driver version. It has issues with STO.

My system:

Windows 7 Home 64 bit
Radeon R7 265
klingon-bridge.jpg

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I own a Radeon 5770 and have Windows 7 Ultimate x64. What I do before I upgrade the driver is I remove the old driver manually through the Device Manager. I then install the new driver using the AMD software. Try this and see if it works for you.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    aoax10 wrote: »
    I own a Radeon 5770 and have Windows 7 Ultimate x64. What I do before I upgrade the driver is I remove the old driver manually through the Device Manager. I then install the new driver using the AMD software. Try this and see if it works for you.

Thanks! I'll give this a go. I never used to have to do this with my old PC which had an Nvidia card in it. Maybe this is something that's necessary with Radeon graphics cards.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    have the same problem in DX11/Anti Aliasing combination, just disable AA and it works...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sto options, disable it there, should work..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Known issue. I posted about this several days ago in fact. It seems to be a recurrence of the issues with the 12.x drivers. 12.1 I think? It's mentioned in the known issues thread anyway.
    They really should update that thread methinks.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    stormwaltz2stormwaltz2 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just to pile on here, I made the mistake of updating my Radeon drivers tonight, and now I'm seeing black and white pixelization everywhere.

FWIW, I normally run with every visual setting cranked to maximum. Disabling the "Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion" option makes the problem go away altogether.
  • Options
    razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    When is this going to be fixxed? Its starting to annoy me the block flickering
    "My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
  • Options
    razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Of course its STO I never have this iusse with any other game. What else could it be? I can't believe its taking STO so long to fix this mess
    "My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
  • Options
    umiharayuuumiharayuu Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Yesterday I updated to the latest Radeon driver, version 14.501 from 14.301. When I began to play STO, everything seemed fine at first until I started to pull up screens that had DOFF visuals on them. It seemed their faces were badly pixelated and not forming properly. In some cases, the faces were missing and replaced with either black or white pixels

This morning, I rolled back the driver and everything was fine. Beware of this driver version. It has issues with STO.

My system:

Windows 7 Home 64 bit
    Radeon R7 265

I'm still running drivers from 2013 with no issues on anything.
    If it's not broke, don't fix it.
    www.RIHANNSU.org
    Romulan Institute

D'Galan - Engineer
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mugat0 wrote: »
    Update: I disabled it in game and out. No changes and this games continues to crash to desktop. None of my other games crash. Which is kinda strange. I play Total Wars games a lot with AA and everything turned up to max. And not one crash. Leads me to believe, its STO.

it is sto i had the same problems you did i crashed so much i wanted to rip my hair out i rolled back my drivers and the problem was solved is a sad state of affairs going on here ...just roll back to last known version that gave no problems becasue if your waiting for them to fix it ..its prob gonna be a long time coming ...they are down 2 devs and the mac side of this game is 5000 times worse so i think they might go there next
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    penclrtistpenclrtist Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If it ain't broke dont't fix it...
    In my experience it's best to leave your graphics driver alone unless you have a problem. Updating drivers has caused me more problems and headaches than leaving them alone ever could have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm having these issues as well, but STO is the only game doing it. Even Champions online plays just fine.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i've been having both the pixellation and the constant crashes to desktop, but it wasn't the amd drivers that did it, it was the first patch for the winter event. On a different thread, one of the devs said it was an issue with the fmods, and that they were working on it. It's a month and a half, and I'm still unable to play because the gameclient dies everytime i'm in combat. The pixel issue changes a lot though. Sometimes it's per character, some times it's only in certain areas or just not in the home zones (esd/qonos/rcc) but it's still always there. Some patches are just worse than others. Drivers and settings have had no effect on these issues for me, and this is the only game doing it. Champions is still going strong, though I gave up on Neverwinter a long time ago, so i don't know how bad that one is with this.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I significantly weakened it by disabling "Screen-space ambient occlusion" and raising shadow quality to Medium.

It's still there but it's very very rare as opposed to have your ship and Boffs pixelated
  • Options
    myrnwynmyrnwyn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Whatever the problem is, it's specific to DX11. Using the DX9 renderer makes the problem go away and doesn't do anything that different visually since as far as I know the game hasn't seriously implemented any DX11-specific features. So back to DX9 for me.
  • Options
    seaquest42seaquest42 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I had to download the beta driver from the AMD website it have the older driver and it works for me.
    I am me, always will be.
  • Options
    lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am now having issues with pixelation on the faces, bottom of the noses area, and mouth on characters that rendered up close in chat windows. I have gone thru all the settings to no effect.

I am thinking that even with a roll back to 14.11 this issue will continue. Its not a system issue that much has been confirmed. Its an issue isolated, thus far, to STO only. :(

FX4100
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    Radeon R280X 14.12 driver
    AMD 8 gig 1600 Ram
    Intel Boot SSD (480)
    Win 7 Pro
    Drivers all up to date.

UPDATE - Read this option in the 1st page - missed it on first pass but THANK GOD twas seen on second read through. This worked to clear up my issue - THANK YOU.

FWIW, I normally run with every visual setting cranked to maximum. Disabling the "Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion" option makes the problem go away altogether.
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Its funny you mention this, because the latest update got me double the framerate, and let me max all the settings. Even bloom looks nice.
  • Options
    chnissenchnissen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Having issues as well:
    HD 7950 OC 3GB

Driver version: 14.501.1003-141120a-177998C

Turning SSAO or AA off ingame seems to fix most clitches.
    Forcing AA via Catalyst Control Center doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    hatchetl4dhatchetl4d Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Same Problem for me Radeon 290 with latest Omega Drivers crashing to Desktop all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]