test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dyson Rep T4 Rep Trait Tactical Advantage

freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
This trait seems to not work at all. When testing this with a fleetmate we discovered, that the debuff was never applied even when the shot-at ship was below 20% health.
Maybe the debuff is only momentarily applied with each shot, factored into its damage calculation and then erased, but at least no change in resistances was visible on the paperdoll and no debuff icon was visible on screen.
Post edited by freenos85 on

Comments

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I want to say it's on the tool top of the weapon.

It use to be applied to your target but it was bugged and everyone's TA stacked

Then it became a huff that appears on the owners buff tray...it may have been moved to tool tips
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    I want to say it's on the tool top of the weapon.

It use to be applied to your target but it was bugged and everyone's TA stacked

Then it became a huff that appears on the owners buff tray...it may have been moved to tool tips

Even so, the description states that a debuff is applied, which doesn't seem to be the case, since no change in resistances could be seen.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    It does not apply a debuff to the target any longer, as this was causing unintended benefits to nearby allies, instead of only the person that possesses the Reputation Trait.

Instead, this Trait gives the user what we call an "in-line enhancement" which causes your damage to ignore an increasing portion of your enemy's damage resistance.

While this doesn't offer a huge amount of player-facing feedback when it occurs, you should definitely be noticing your damage increase as the target's health decreases.

I'll see about updating the tooltips to match the actual functionality more closely.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    freenos85 wrote: »
    Even so, the description states that a debuff is applied, which doesn't seem to be the case, since no change in resistances could be seen.

Its not broken. But it is useless anyways (like many others). Thats the reason i never slot that trait anymore.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    It does not apply a debuff to the target any longer, as this was causing unintended benefits to nearby allies, instead of only the person that possesses the Reputation Trait.

Instead, this Trait gives the user what we call an "in-line enhancement" which causes your damage to ignore an increasing portion of your enemy's damage resistance.

While this doesn't offer a huge amount of player-facing feedback when it occurs, you should definitely be noticing your damage increase as the target's health decreases.

I'll see about updating the tooltips to match the actual functionality more closely.

Thank you for the reply.
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Bah...

Atleast virusdancer knows I kinda sorta know my stuff...
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2014

When your attack hits an enemy with zero resistances already (examples: cold, proton -- assuming the ground and space traits behave the exact same way), this trait will do nothing to increase damage. Am I guessing correctly?

Also, how would it work when resistance values are debuffed/negative?
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    edited May 2014
    tk79 wrote: »
    When your attack hits an enemy with zero resistances already (examples: cold, proton -- assuming the ground and space traits behave the exact same way), this trait will do nothing to increase damage. Am I guessing correctly?

No, afraid not. Partly my fault. It's actually reducing values, and they can go negative. But portraying it as an "ignore" seemed easier to understand.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Hey Bort, in general all of the rep/personal trait tooltips need a quality pass if time can be made for it. At least half of them are lacking useful details ("grants [ability name]" is useless information; "grants +5% [statistic]" is useful) or have outdated information (for example, off the top of my head, the trait that improves grenade expose chance still mistakenly states that it has a 100% chance to expose even though that was changed ages ago).

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No, afraid not. Partly my fault. It's actually reducing values, and they can go negative. But portraying it as an "ignore" seemed easier to understand.

Couldn't it be designed to simply increase weapon damage by said factor, once their health drops below 50%?

Or is this to difficult of an ability?
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited May 2014

This part makes almost no sense when most enemies have 0 DR to begin with, I mean how can you ignore an increasing portion of 0, when 0 never increases?

PVP wise it might actually make sense, PVE wise makes very little sense.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Couldn't it be designed to simply increase weapon damage by said factor, once their health drops below 50%?

Or is this to difficult of an ability?

The power attempts to increase the damage dealt by your abilities dynamically, based on the recipient's health. Without building this factor into every single weapon/kit ability in the game, the current architecture is the best solution.
    This part makes almost no sense when most enemies have 0 DR to begin with, I mean how can you ignore an increasing portion of 0, when 0 never increases?

Please see my further response. I was attempting to make it easier to understand, and ended up incorrectly portraying the Trait's actual functionality.

It does reduce resistances, and they can go negative. It just does so in a way that only affects the attacker that has the Rep Trait slotted.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That reminds me that I was never sure how resistances affect damage when the resistance turns negative. Was this determined/revealed in the last 2 years or so? (To avoid derailing this thread from the actual bug report and investigation, anything about resistance mechanics could go here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=16857671#post16857671)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    emperordeslokemperordeslok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The power attempts to increase the damage dealt by your abilities dynamically, based on the recipient's health. Without building this factor into every single weapon/kit ability in the game, the current architecture is the best solution.

Please see my further response. I was attempting to make it easier to understand, and ended up incorrectly portraying the Trait's actual functionality.

It does reduce resistances, and they can go negative. It just does so in a way that only affects the attacker that has the Rep Trait slotted.

So it applies like Attack pattern beta directly to the weapon's impact instead of a persistent debuff? proportional to a targets health
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    So it applies like Attack pattern beta directly to the weapon's impact instead of a persistent debuff? proportional to a targets health

Yes. That's another valid way of expressing it.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yes. That's another valid way of expressing it.

Ok well if that is how it is supposed to, and is working than I can live with that.