test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starfleet Command in STO

kieterokietero Member Posts: 17 Arc User
I ran a search for this a few times over and I couldn't find anything...

So I am going to go ahead with my question...

Are we going to be able to operate out of Starfleet Command in San Francisco at any point soon, or are we all stuck doing things out of Starfleet Academy?

Just wondering, mostly.

Thanks.
Post edited by kietero on

Comments

• Options
    suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nothing on release note say we will in season 9.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=590121
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Isnt that the point of ESD?
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kietero wrote: »
    I ran a search for this a few times over and I couldn't find anything...

So I am going to go ahead with my question...

Are we going to be able to operate out of Starfleet Command in San Francisco at any point soon, or are we all stuck doing things out of Starfleet Academy?

Just wondering, mostly.

Thanks.

the Academy is in SF as far as i know..
  • Options
    therealfluffytherealfluffy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The OP actually raises an interesting question. In the first scene after the opening credits of the DS9 episode "The Changing Face of Evil" (7x20), there are pictures of the devastation caused by the Breen attack on Earth. A screenshot can be found in this memory-alpha.org article:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Breen_attack_on_Earth
    I may be wrong but it looks very much like the place that Cryptic calls Starfleet Academy in the game. However, in the scene mentioned, general Martok refers to it as Starfleet Headquarters which is also what the article calls it. Is this a Cryptic oversight or are we someplace else in the game or is there another explanation?
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The OP actually raises an interesting question. In the first scene after the opening credits of the DS9 episode "The Changing Face of Evil" (7x20), there are pictures of the devastation caused by the Breen attack on Earth. A screenshot can be found in this memory-alpha.org article:
    I may be wrong but it looks very much like the place that Cryptic calls Starfleet Academy in the game. However, in the scene mentioned, general Martok refers to it as Starfleet Headquarters which is also what the article calls it. Is this a Cryptic oversight or are we someplace else in the game or is there another explanation?

You are right... What we see in STO is in fact the area where Starfleet command has been since the 22'nd century.

That dosen't exclude the possibility that SFC moved since the 24'th century, but it makes very little sense.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    It is ALSO the location used multiple times as Starfleet Academy.

Hurray for continuity!

You tell me where it is.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It seems to me that SFC has facilities all around San Francisco and the Marin headlands. It also seems that SFA isn't just the Academy, that it also includes sections of SFC.
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

Hurray for continuity!

You tell me where it is.

I can tell I play too many games because I see that map and think, "Huh... SFA is the Bug 'n' Chug gas station in Defiance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Hurray for continuity!

You tell me where it is.

Obviously, it's the Golden Gate Starfleet Complex. By the UFP charter, all Starfleet buildings in the West Coast must have a direct view of the Golden Gate Bridge. :P
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Hurray for continuity!

You tell me where it is.
    reximuz wrote: »
    It seems to me that SFC has facilities all around San Francisco and the Marin headlands. It also seems that SFA isn't just the Academy, that it also includes sections of SFC.

I'm basically of this opinion too. Starfleet Command's headquarters would likely be spread around the area in various halls and facilities to serve different functions as needed.

Also, think they fixed the view from inside the air tram station in the director's cut of The Motion Picture (totally worth watching) to bring it closer to where its exterior view is, so I'm of the opinion that it overwrites the older, wonkier scene for the purpose of this topic (they sure did fix a lot of the terrible matte paintings in the director's cut). This specifically in regard to the inconsistency image.

For those who want to peek, the Memory Alpha article has images of both:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Air_tram_station
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014

Hurray for continuity!

You tell me where it is.

I think the simple answer is that the entire area encompasses Starfleet Command and the Academy. It would make sense that there be a sizable area for command and ground-side diplomatic embassies centered around some sort of large landmark, like the bridge.
  • Options
    raistalionraistalion Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Hurray for continuity!

You tell me where it is.

I like the idea that Starfleet has completely taken over that entire area. The university I went to worked sort of like that on a smaller scale, but it owned a lot of land and over the time I was there buildings were shuffled, staff moved about and the definitions of some buildings migrated, all as a result of renovations and refits etc for example the main "Admin" building was almost in a new location from year to year, the only year it didnt change buildings it moved from one end of the building to the other.

Whose to say that's not whats happened here... Starfleet "Headquarters" is probably just a room where the top Starfleet people meet more than a physical location. It would also make sense from a security perspective... why give the Federations enemies a giant arrow saying "command structure found here, please target with your attacks."

- Raith
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The school I went to for my bachelor's degree had a 50 square mile area for the campus. That is on the very large side by modern standards but it would equate to about 80% of San Francisco in terms of size or could be big enough that if SFA were as large, it would encompass all of Sausalito and much of San Francisco.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There are FOUR Golden gate bridges.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    The OP has a good point though - having more missions directly involving the various buildings and labs of starfleet Command.

It's possible to consider multiple locations on Earth.

It would be an interesting mid-season expansion, ala Bajor ;)

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Hurray for continuity!

You tell me where it is.

I read the article that chart originates from. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who performed what felt like a futile exercise to pin down Starfleet Command's primary location. As well as that of Starfleet Academy. Personally, I prefer to stick with where they were shown the first time. All future interpretation being production errors. Though I realize this likely has me in a minority.

Despite knowledge of how obsessed we (generally speaking) can be with the minutia, obviously not everyone in Star Trek production cared to the same degree as others. Your response is the simplest response in light of everything.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    duaths1 wrote: »
    the Academy is in SF as far as i know..

The TMP-era movies have been keen on showing Starfleet Command as being in San Francisco. But the Academy is a separate location altogether.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Per Memory Alpha...
    Starfleet Headquarters was the administrative center of Starfleet Command located in California, on Earth. Sharing grounds with Starfleet Academy, it encompassed territory adjacent to the city of San Francisco, on either side of the Golden Gate passage into San Francisco Bay.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    Just to stir things up a bit, remember that these different depictions of SFC and SFA span several hundreds of years. It's reasonable to believe that Starfleet Command has occupied all of those locations, and simply moved around as buildings became over crowded, or unsuitable for it's use.

So, for instance, the building on the Marin Headlands might have been Command from 2286-2293, but could easily have been converted to apartments by 2377 (80+ years later).

In addition, I agree that Starfleet Command wouldn't just be a single building, but would likely be an extended network of campuses seemingly centered around the GG Bridge. However, there would/should still be a central identifiable building somewhere, and I think that is what we're really talking about here.

So, for 2409, I don't think WE (Cryptic/STO) have specified WHERE Starfleet Command is located, nor what it looks like. The Academy is pretty clearly where it's been for a while now. But Command is open for placement/construction.

We won't be building something like Starfleet Command unless/until we have some story/content/mission reason to go there. But it's certainly not out of the question.

Personally, I've always liked the Marin Headlands location, and think it would be cool/fun to build it up there, into the mountains and such. Some good views up there.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I too subscribe to the opinion that SFC consists of multiple facilities spread across San Francisco and Sausalito. However, given SFC's most recent references and appearances on screen, I believe that their main campus, along with that of SFA, is presently located on the current grounds of Fort Baker in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just to stir things up a bit, remember that these different depictions of SFC and SFA span several hundreds of years. It's reasonable to believe that Starfleet Command has occupied all of those locations, and simply moved around as buildings became over crowded, or unsuitable for it's use.

So, for instance, the building on the Marin Headlands might have been Command from 2286-2293, but could easily have been converted to apartments by 2377 (80+ years later).

In addition, I agree that Starfleet Command wouldn't just be a single building, but would likely be an extended network of campuses seemingly centered around the GG Bridge. However, there would/should still be a central identifiable building somewhere, and I think that is what we're really talking about here.

So, for 2409, I don't think WE (Cryptic/STO) have specified WHERE Starfleet Command is located, nor what it looks like. The Academy is pretty clearly where it's been for a while now. But Command is open for placement/construction.

We won't be building something like Starfleet Command unless/until we have some story/content/mission reason to go there. But it's certainly not out of the question.

Personally, I've always liked the Marin Headlands location, and think it would be cool/fun to build it up there, into the mountains and such. Some good views up there.

I think if we did see command, it would need a purpose in game and in particular at endgame. If it had a purpose at endgame, it would need to be in an area that had value to multiple factions.

So if we did see that, I would probably see it as part of a series of adventure zones that deal with Iconian Gateway based attacks, since First City and San Fran historically tend to show up as destinations for Iconian Gates. You have to start balancing the game logic of the location in.

I could see maybe a season based around an assault on earth (and it would need to be a season for the size of the update). That would probably involve making it an adventure zone and/or battlezone. Probably a bit of both with part of the city under siege and maybe a queued Golden Gate Bridge Defense. (That would need to be queued for the perspective tricks needed to make it work.)

If we're looking at multi-faction, that probably means having a Klingon and Romulan embassy in there as starting points, a Starfleet command. If you're doing a city, you want some social locations in there from the various shows but you need a purpose to them which probably involves some kind of systems revamp for what you'd think of as urban social features, like crafting, food enhancement, mini-reps. You also want to take advantage of the potential for diverse areas so I figure the beach is there. That probably would place the ideal spot for SFHQ roughly in the place geographically where it was in the Abrams movies, as a multi-story building near the Yacht club, with Klingon and Romulan embassies nearby.

But if we're looking for a San Fran zone (and I'll admit, I've never been that far north in California although I have a growing number of college friends moving to San Fran), I'd imagine a big part of THAT would have to involve the TERRAIN. Those hills are steep. I understand car brakes wear out fast there.

I think what that would almost demand would be some consideration of some basic game systems like walking. Right now when characters stand on a slope, their feet remain parallel to the horizon and dig into the hill sides. It's not too badly noticeable in most of what we have. But most of what we have doesn't involve perching on steep hills. I almost think one of the bigger complicating factors is that the terrain would call for new climbing/walking animations and maybe looking at those mechanics where going uphill takes longer than going downhill. You can cheat on that some in a game like this but I think it would show worse in San Fran. (Although maybe immunity to that could be a Grazerite trait, being goat people.) Then again, maybe the whole city is pretty much level or graded since SF is generally represented with very level studio lots and doubles on the show.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I personally would love to see a more peaceful adventure type zone that could involve Starfleet Command, the Academy, and a city area. There could be various minigames and tasks involving training courses and teaching cadets.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2014

With undine there is enough potential for a story for there being a purpose to do it. Although tbh the higher ups wouldn't invest the time unless they could figure out a way to entrap a player into using it day in day out for 6+ months to give the go ahead to do it.

The biggest part of it all is kind of like bridges not much sense in building it if it has no function.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014

You should build it/Klingon Homeworld Commad for an STF where the Undine try and blow up the respective homeworlds.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    illcadia wrote: »
    You should build it/Klingon Homeworld Commad for an STF where the Undine try and blow up the respective homeworlds.

Maybe not like that, but I could see a situation where the Undine have taken the respective locations hostage, and you have to save them. That would be cool.
  • Options
    teklionbenrashateklionbenrasha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What about something like Homefront/Paradise Lost? Obviously not a straight port from the Dominion to 8472, but something similar.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What about something like Homefront/Paradise Lost? Obviously not a straight port from the Dominion to 8472, but something similar.

I thinking more "Die Hard with Undine". :P
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I thinking more "Die Hard with Undine". :P

Thanks a lot, now I have "Ode to Joy" stuck in my head...
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    kieterokietero Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I personally would love to see a more peaceful adventure type zone that could involve Starfleet Command, the Academy, and a city area. There could be various minigames and tasks involving training courses and teaching cadets.

I was just thinking that. A region or two of San Francisco... label it a "battle zone" as one faction successfully breaks through and lands a force on Earth... something to that idea...
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    kietero wrote: »
    I was just thinking that. A region or two of San Francisco... label it a "battle zone" as one faction successfully breaks through and lands a force on Earth... something to that idea...

Centersolace was hoping for an adventure zone WITHOUT combat and I agree with him. I rather the region of San Francisco (SFA, SFC, etc) be a mini-game, DOff-centered, adventure zone where players are instructors or something for the day. The adventure zone resets when classes "end" for that period and cadets return to their rooms.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar