test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thoughts on the double skillpoint & expertise weekend event!

cymoorecymoore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Whats the point if there isnt a ( Mirror Incursion ) event or replacment?
Post edited by cymoore on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Mirror Event is not the only way to earn those points. :)

It it is not difficult to understand that Cryptic felt the Mirror Event was offering too much bang for the effort - which is why it was removed and has been retooled.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    personally I've always thought it was pretty easy to get xp in this game. mirror incursion was xp at warp speed. I'm more interested in the foundry weekend myself and I'm hoping that reputation marks is changed to included fleet marks.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you need mirror to play, you're doing it wrong.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

It it is not difficult to understand that Cryptic felt the Mirror Event was offering too much bang for the effort - which is why it was removed and has been retooled.

That's understandable.

What's not understandable is why they removed it before it's replacement was ready for release.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    That's understandable.

What's not understandable is why they removed it before it's replacement was ready for release.

Like they've never done that before :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    IMO, anyone who says they need the mirror event to get enough stuff is being lazy, REALLY lazy. It is incredibly easy to get expertise in this game, even just by doing dailies, I have way more than enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    That's understandable.

I assume it is all part of an Event release "master plan" structure. IE, the new Mirror Event will be something new for us to do in March and early April before Season 9 comes out. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Will be nice for getting my final alt up to level 50, but my main has some 20 million+ XP, so wont be needing any for a while..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, experience and skill points eh?

Bit of a meh from here I'm afraid.

Nowadays I actually don't want my lower level toons to level so quickly, so they'll be avoiding that time.

And i think I may have one newer level 50 that could use a little easy xp, tbh two or three fleet alerts would do it.

I'm sure that there'll be some players who will thoroughly enjoy the bonus, but for me it's a meh.
  • Options
    fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Mirror Event was just fine! It's been in the game for ages. It was a fixture.

Please don't start suggesting people that played and enjoyed it were "doing it wrong" or "exploiters." I'm so sick of how you... "shareholders", always jump in to defend cryptic and imply the playerbase are up to no good.

For many of us, Mirror Event was a large part of this game. It was my preferred method of leveling alts. If it returns to us with lower rewards, and/or missing dilithium, it will be just another ruined thing like crafting that has been touched by the hand of the Overlords.

Hey, if you wanna make things more challenging... Stop the damn power creep that allowed VA's to steam roll it! Why make the average player suffer for the horrible decisions regarding new ships and consoles!?
  • Options
    noctusxxxnoctusxxx Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    With 14 toons, and only 2-3 hours to run them every other night, the Mirror event allowed me to earn the expertise needed to pay for rep tree gear and advancement. Without it I do not have the time to get 25% of the expertise for those toons each day that I was able to get running 2 or 3 mirror runs with them.

IF they want me to re run the mission content that takes 30-40 mins each mission and only rewards half the skill points on the rerun that it did the first time through, then they are going to need to offer a lot more then a crappy xp weekend.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    fourxgamer wrote: »
    The Mirror Event was added with FTP. While that is a long time before they removed it, Cryptic had other things to do. They also realized the Tour the Galaxy was being exploited and removed that when they had the chance.

Longevity is not the banner of right. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The Mirror Event was added with FTP. While that is a long time before they removed it, Cryptic had other things to do. They also realized the Tour the Galaxy was being exploited and removed that when they had the chance.

Longevity is not the banner of right. :)

You sure about that? The Mirror Event was added with F2P? I really feel like I used to play that back when I paid a sub. Where can I find the exact date this was added?

edit: Nov, 2011
    according to wiki. That's 27 months of Cryptic asking me to play this event! I didn't exploit it in any way.
    In fact, on my lower level toons I was only able to do it 4-6 times an hour depending on the caliber of my peers and the need to upgrade / level up.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    noctusxxx wrote: »
    With 14 toons, and only 2-3 hours to run them every other night, the Mirror event allowed me to earn the expertise needed to pay for rep tree gear and advancement. Without it I do not have the time to get 25% of the expertise for those toons each day that I was able to get running 2 or 3 mirror runs with them.

IF they want me to re run the mission content that takes 30-40 mins each mission and only rewards half the skill points on the rerun that it did the first time through, then they are going to need to offer a lot more then a crappy xp weekend.

This.^^^^^
    Is MU needed? No. Is it super helpful? Hell yes! And honestly, I can only devote between 1-2 hours to play daily, if that. To all the people saying "you don't need MU", say that after having several characters on T4 all rep, with no expertise on any of them, and trying to advance them in rep. Oh, and only with 1-2 hours to play per day.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You sure about that? The Mirror Event was added with F2P? I really feel like I used to play that back when I paid a sub. Where can I find the exact date this was added?
    The hourly Events were added with FTP - and thus all the bonuses were added then. Prior to FTP Mirror was a standard Fleet Action - and paid out just like any other Fleet Action.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    To that, i ask WHY do you have so many toons? there are only 3 classes and 3 factions, that is 9 characters, and even if you include KDF-Rom and Fed-Rom as separate, that is still 12 and even that is stretching the limits.
  • Options
    kahless2001kahless2001 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have a character doing 3 Reputation trees at the same time. Having 12 characters are level 50 now.

I work full time and real life often takes precedence over weekends.

These changes have basically meant my reputation system projects and advancement through the reputation system has ground to a halt. It just makes me not want to log-in. :(
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited February 2014

The Foundry 3 mission wrapper (for 1330 Dil Ore) and 1-click console missions (which I used too) were in STO for a full year before they were pulled and declared as 'not working as intended'. If anything the fact they left it that way for a full year didn't sit well with upper management; so I'm sure once their metrics indicate something's out of whack, they'll pull it then and there.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Oh, and only with 1-2 hours to play per day.

i have 14 charatcers.

If I tried to progress all of them, at the same time, I'd go quietly mad.

Then noisily mad, then mad, then quiet again, then some gibbering.....well, you get the picture.

The sane thing to do is pick and choose.

for instance, atm, I'm letting my KDF toons have a rest.

Reason being, my Fed fleet is at a point where some concerted effort will get some quick holding tiers.

Out of those 7 Fed toons, I'm only playing two of them beyond doffing.

The doff commendations from the opther five quietly boost the fleet mark pool, while my main grabs fleet marks hand over fist.

Meanwhile, my new 50 sci is working her way up the rep trees.

If you have limited time, then you have to manage that time.

Trying to spin all the plates at the same time leads to gibbering.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    To that, i ask WHY do you have so many toons? there are only 3 classes and 3 factions, that is 9 characters, and even if you include KDF-Rom and Fed-Rom as separate, that is still 12 and even that is stretching the limits.

I have 14 toons.

I'll have more, by and by.

I'm pretty sure I'm way off being the record holder.

It's not how big your toon list is, but how you use it.

:eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The Foundry 3 mission wrapper (for 1330 Dil Ore) and 1-click console missions (which I used too) were in STO for a full year before they were pulled and declared as 'not working as intended'. If anything the fact they left it that way for a full year didn't sit well with upper management; so I'm sure once their metrics indicate something's out of whack, they'll pull it then and there.

Those clickies were not official crytpic content. MU was designed totally by the devs. I played it the way they wanted me to.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014

What's not to understand? It's because Cryptic. Couldn't be any more elementary, dear Watson.
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sounds like a good a time as any to make a 2nd character.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Meh...

It's pretty easy to level up in STO. In fact it is too easy. Every story line mission you play you earn enough to level up. I think that it is dis-service to the game itself because it gives you no reason to do anything but the story line missions to advance.

In my opinion Cryptic should make it 4 times harder (maybe even more) to level up, thus forcing you to explore other ways to gain experience. They should probably enforce this by requiring you to be a least a certain level before you can start the next story line mission. I stopped doing the the main story sometime after advancing to LT. Commander and just started to do random stuff to get more out of the game

I think Cryptic is simply pandering to those people who wants instant gratification.

This event does nothing for me since my primary character (Federation) is already a Vice Admiral and I have over 200k expertise points to use on Boffs. As for my KDF character who is only level 17 I suppose all this means is that I can probably advance 2 levels for every completed story line mission. Ummm.... Yay... I think....
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Meh...

It's pretty easy to level up in STO. In fact it is too easy. Every story line mission you play you earn enough to level up. I think that it is dis-service to the game itself because it gives you no reason to do anything but the story line missions to advance.

In my opinion Cryptic should make it 4 times harder (maybe even more) to level up, thus forcing you to explore other ways to gain experience. They should probably enforce this by requiring you to be a least a certain level before you can start the next story line mission. I stopped doing the the main story sometime after advancing to LT. Commander and just started to do random stuff to get more out of the game

I think Cryptic is simply pandering to those people who wants instant gratification.

This event does nothing for me since my primary character (Federation) is already a Vice Admiral and I have over 200k expertise points to use on Boffs. As for my KDF character who is only level 17 I suppose all this means is that I can probably advance 2 levels for every completed story line mission. Ummm.... Yay... I think....
    Forcing you to find other ways to level is also forcing them to come up with other ways for you to level. Creating content takes a lot of time - especially when most of that content, such as Episode Missions, are only done once by the player.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I still say bring back the Mirror Invasion with an hour long cooldown and a regular XP reward. But that's just me being grotty.

Still, I don't expect full wages when I don't put in a full days work, likewise I don't expect a weeks XP when I do the easiest group content in the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    I still say bring back the Mirror Invasion with an hour long cooldown and a regular XP reward. But that's just me being grotty.

Still, I don't expect full wages when I don't put in a full days work, likewise I don't expect a weeks XP when I do the easiest group content in the game.
    The Mirror has been retooled and is coming back. It will not be rewarding what it rewarded during the Event, though. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Forcing you to find other ways to level is also forcing them to come up with other ways for you to level. Creating content takes a lot of time - especially when most of that content, such as Episode Missions, are only done once by the player.

Well, there is a fair argument that progression is a bit too easy.

you're level 50 way before you run out of story missions.

I believe someone a while back was asking for the ability to actually reduce your xp, in order to level slower.
  • Options
    shaterbaneshaterbane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Considering I managed to level 5 toons from low to mid teens to 50 just doing the holiday dailies and academy midterm things? 5 50s in 2 months without trying...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Well, there is a fair argument that progression is a bit too easy.

you're level 50 way before you run out of story missions.

I believe someone a while back was asking for the ability to actually reduce your xp, in order to level slower.
    I do not disagree with that; but then I remember in the early days when I needed to repeatedly grind Patrols, DSEs, and Exploration Zones to get enough XP to meet the level requirements of the Missions I was about to go into.

The lack of unique content you had to repeatedly grind to reach level minimums was far more annoying then getting to 50 and knowing you still have 15 missions to play before you need to start the Rep System. :)