test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #56 Discussion Thread

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2014 in Ten Forward
Literary Challenge #56 : Academy Teachings
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #56 : Academy Teachings.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've already got a few ideas percolating... :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Interesting.

Might need to write a Nanoha entry for this one, or possibly an entry from another character, not sure - I'll see if I can come up with anything decent. :cool:
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This could be interesting... :cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Interesting.

Might need to write a Nanoha entry for this one, or possibly an entry from another character, not sure - I'll see if I can come up with anything decent. :cool:

Given the trouble Nahona-San is in with Admiral ch'Harrell, I'm not sure if Command would invite her to give a graduation speech ;):D Looking forward to what you come up with :cool:
  • Options
    ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ooooh...Bryan is going to have a field day with those cadets :cool:
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Grunt delivers a lecture on a topic most Starfleet personnel are smugly certain they already know perfectly. Spoiler: They're wrong a lot.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I got nothing for this.

I'm liking both entries so far. The Nemesis Unit is an interesting character. I'm not sure how I feel about the genre savvy-ness, but I applaud your taking teh risk with the character in these. I see those as more of a satire on the franchise more than actually being part of it, in the same way the Galaxy Quest film is.

And Grunt makes some truly excellent points.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @ worffan101: A fun piece, but my thoughts about the Nemesis unit are as before... You're clearly a good writer, but using such a character, IMHO, is like Babe Ruth tieing a hand behind his back, putting a patch over one eye, and only hitting a bunt...

@ jonsills: That was pretty much the speech I was thinking of, I should've expected nothing less of Grunt :D
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Jonsils: I LOVE your entry. Captain Grunt is awesome, and I absolutely adore the challenge he bit off by referring to discrimination in Starfleet. Well done, sir!

grylak: It's what might be called an in-universe semi-parody. Basically, Three is from a universe where Star Trek is an entertainment franchise. Said universe is, in the Star Trek universe, part of an old holonovel franchise. It's sort of a running gag.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Indeed. I remember you saying as much from the last one. An enjoyable read, and very different to the norm.

Hmmm. Ideas are starting to percolate in my mind for this one. May have to set it between the crash of Sentinel and the launch of Viper, so before the last LC. Now, I need a lesson for them...

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @ jauhn82: A fantastic and brutally honest introspective :cool: I'd be curious to know what event turned 'The Borg' from an interactive commander, into one who keeps their crew so much at arms length :)
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @ grylak: A good job indeed :cool:
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    @worffan101 - knowing what your character is like (based on the discussion in LC 55) I can say this: that was a fun read :)

@jonsills - Very observant of Grunt. A good lesson indeed.

@jauhaus82 - the effects of war is *very* multifaceted. It would be a long lecture from the podium.

@grylak - I actually thought you were erroneously responding to a different LC - you got me. Well done!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @grylak - I actually thought you were erroneously responding to a different LC - you got me. Well done!

Hehe. Thanks. None of my characters would give lectures at the academy, but I've always said the DarkFyre was used for training cadets once I retired her from my roster, and using the start of TWOK as inspiration for the setup, figured this was actually a good time to show that.

It's also a very mild commentary on Star Trek's current obsession with seemingly shooting their way out of everything.

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    @worffan101 - knowing what your character is like (based on the discussion in LC 55) I can say this: that was a fun read :)

Thank you! Yeah, it was a hell of a lot of fun to write, too.

I added Do'eth's version. Let's just say that she's a broken person.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I wanted to keep this simple, so just a short entry this time round, but please enjoy :)

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Ael t'Kazanak - Cobie Smulders
    I'sH'd - Alexander Skarsgard
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @ sirboulevard: That was a fantastic, thought provoking entry :cool: My duplication of theme is entirely coincidental :o
  • Options
    superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a few threads bouncing around in my head - one that is depressing, one where Counselor ch'Raul is a bad TRIBBLE, and a simple romance. I'm not sure which to combine into this topic...more to come.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I have a few threads bouncing around in my head - one that is depressing, one where Counselor ch'Raul is a bad TRIBBLE, and a simple romance. I'm not sure which to combine into this topic...more to come.

Looking forward to it already :cool:

PS
    If you fancy a chuckle, check out Isabella's cameo ;)
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2014

In my opinion, it would all depend on the stories themselves and what you're trying to say with it rather than which aspects you think people will like. With that said, i would think that the Simple romance would be a good B story to the ch'Raul being a bad TRIBBLE. The depressing story would probably stand better on its own, being as the other parts might be a bit distracting from the impact you want it to make.

Either which way you choose though, i look forward to reading it.
  • Options
    saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I went with a speech similar to the one Adam 'Pacman' Jones gave at the NFL rookie symposium.

From Kirk's perspective. Because he is a space fluzie:P
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Actually, Kirk gets a bum rap on that - in TOS, he didn't actually get with any of the women he romanced (and he only fell in love with two - Edith Keeler and that one chick who turned out to be a robot). Spock got more action than Kirk did (in "The Enterprise Incident"). And to the best of our knowledge, he only had one child, and that didn't end well...

BTW, it's considered poor form to use any but your own characters (or other players' characters, with their permission) in these Challenges.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have an idea for a Klingon Academy entry featuring my Klingon, K'Plai, Daughter of Rogh. But making up lectures is hard. :(
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have an idea for a Klingon Academy entry featuring my Klingon, K'Plai, Daughter of Rogh. But making up lectures is hard. :(

You don't actually have to do the lecture part, i myself am going to do the events and reflection leading up to the lecture, but not the lecture itself.
  • Options
    superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My draft is written and needs to age for a few days. In the meantime...

@ jonsills - that was awesome. I was reminded of the spot in the DS9 Mission Gamma novels where the Defiant crew is passing around a Klingon romance and everyone is secretly enjoying it.

@ jauhn82 - I think this is the first piece I have read from you. Good job! It was very sobering. One suggestion - if you copy/paste from decent text editors like MS Word, quotes and special characters end up as question marks here. (It's so annoying.) You might want to consider a global find/replace to fix that next time since there are a few of those laying around.
  • Options
    jauhn82jauhn82 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    if you copy/paste from decent text editors like MS Word, quotes and special characters end up as question marks here.

@superhombre777 - thanks, I didn't notice the replacement of the special characters. This is my first time doing the literary Challenge and I may just do more. I have gone in and fixed what question marks to the characters they are meant to be. If you or anyone else sees one I miss or something else I missed, let me know. Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Rellimtime82 - Foundry Author
  • Options
    ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Posted mine. Took me a little while for me to come up with a topic the Bryan would discuss, but I finally got it. Let me know what you all think!
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Posted mine. Took me a little while for me to come up with a topic the Bryan would discuss, but I finally got it. Let me know what you all think!

I really liked it :cool: One section might need a polish... I felt that this piece was slightly contradictory, although the sentiment was still clear :)
    but you must also trust the Admirals to know when they are pushing your crew beyond their limits. We, the Admirals have to trust you all, but you cannot trust us, simply because we don't know you. That is not to say that we cannot earn your trust. It should not, however, be easy.

Maybe modifying the phrases to 'have faith in' and 'should not blindly trust us' might flow better? I still can't think of anything for my second entry :D