test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DOFF requirements for the Starbase: Question regarding Cryptic conceptualization

ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Fleet System and Holdings
I asked this question in the latest Tribble announcement thread, but since it is Fleet holding related I think it also belongs here for discussion.

A few weeks ago, Bort suggested a change to the 1000 XP starbase projects to reduce the problems created because of the 90 security and 90 medical doffs needed to complete the 1000 xp daily project. The fleet doff system caused an imbalance of sci/med and tac/sec doffs as the system drew based on specialization, and there are vastly more sci and tac specializations than med and sec specializations. These projects would be changed to allow either type of doff to be used to complete a unified doff requirement. The boards, flame-spewing in their fractiousness, immediately developed a consensus that this was a great idea.

In today's Tribble Patch Notes, Salami confirmed that this particular change would not be made. I am confused as to why the change would not be made. It is still a significant burden to actually fill sci and tac projects with currencies (fleet marks, commodities) that would require significant resources to fill.

Are doffs considered "non-currencies" and there are story/conceptual reasons for the refusal to make the proposed/requested change? Or does Cryptic think that doffs are as good a barrier to filling up projects as any? Given how common security/medical doffs are awarded in imbalance to civilian or science, I find the choice of this particular barrier confusing. After all, Cryptic rebalanced the Starbase Bartender project to not require dosi rotgut and Romulan Ale.

-Cath
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What? That's a load of bollocks IMO. I mean, it's only going to get worse from here on out. I remember the Sensor DOFF debacle last year, and that was ridiculous. Eventually it will get to that point.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I had to look around to actually find any projects the change would affect. They were all in the Embassy. The project requiring 35 Tactical doffs will now require 35 Tactical and Security doffs. Hooray! They only ease the requirements on the projects that were easy to fill.

:(
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A fix for this would be so easy, and there are so many ways to do so such as allowing the project to take sci or med, allowing one to buy boxes that just contain med, changing the numeric requirements to be 66% sci / 33% med, and so on that at this point one is forced to conclude Cryptic wants this to be a bottleneck and for medical doffs to cost 5-10x as much as others on the exchange.

I can only speculate it drives lock box key purchases to be sold on the exchange to purchase medical doffs by some as the reason. Nothing else makes sense. Well cryptic could be massively out of touch I suppose but yeah.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bareel wrote: »
    Nothing else makes sense. Well cryptic could be massively out of touch I suppose but yeah.

Given the brewing dilithium mine catastrophe...are you really surprised that Cryptic is that incapable of actually understanding what player issues are, and competently addressing them?
  • Options
    ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bareel wrote: »
    A fix for this would be so easy, and there are so many ways to do so such as allowing the project to take sci or med, allowing one to buy boxes that just contain med, changing the numeric requirements to be 66% sci / 33% med, and so on that at this point one is forced to conclude Cryptic wants this to be a bottleneck and for medical doffs to cost 5-10x as much as others on the exchange.

I agree with you on this point (1). I just don't get *why* Cryptic wants medical or security doffs to be the particular bottleneck. I would like them to explain why this particular bottleneck was chosen.

(I would also like a sub-category doff vendor on the Starbase. It would make it MUCH easier to doff up a new toon with high quality fleet doffs in addition to making it easier to finish Starbase projects).

-Cath

(1) I note that I hope that Stirling is right, and that in the game of telephone in fixing the base costs there was a miscommunication as to what to fix.