test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some of season 7 is being downloaded to your computer?

levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
You might be having crashes randomly here and there because there is a 5 GB patch/download that is being added to your computer in little bits today.

It is most likely season 7 or components of it.

If you want to avoid the crashes and download it all at once - click the OPTIONS tab on the Launcher and click "disable on-demand patching"

This will start the whole 5 GB download

So is it season 7?
Post edited by levi3 on

Comments

• Options
    born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was having crashes every time I beamed into DS9 - so I made the changes to the Launcher and am now in the process of downloading the 5 GB patch.

Thanks for the info. Hope it is Season 7 - Cryptic delievering something earlier than expected? That will be a huge surprize - with the LTS surprize this week they are really shaking things up compared to before when you would have to wait and wait.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Interesting ....
    Thanks for the heads up Levi.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I thought series 7 was still a month or more away, it's probably just some new tech being added to the game
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I thought series 7 was still a month or more away, it's probably just some new tech being added to the game

I'd agree that it's probably not Season 7, but I would bet that it is stealth patching some of the new tech for Season 7, so that when the BIG season premiere patch occurs it doesn't take so long.
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    I'd agree that it's probably not Season 7, but I would bet that it is stealth patching some of the new tech for Season 7, so that when the BIG season premiere patch occurs it doesn't take so long.

Probably this, I expect a Dev will see this thread at some point and drop in to explain
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was having crashes every time I beamed into DS9 - so I made the changes to the Launcher and am now in the process of downloading the 5 GB patch.

Thanks for the info. Hope it is Season 7 - Cryptic delievering something earlier than expected? That will be a huge surprize - with the LTS surprize this week they are really shaking things up compared to before when you would have to wait and wait.

I was wondering why my client tanked when I beamed into DS9. Thanks for the tip, I'll change my launcher options and see how that goes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    joxertm2joxertm2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm not sure what are you all talking about - no crashes, lags or suspicious downloads on my side.

And what did you say... 5Gb sized patch?! What, they've recorded voices for every single bit of text in the game, added thousands of new areas and thousands of new unique looking ships?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    joxertm2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what are you all talking about - no crashes, lags or suspicious downloads on my side.

And what did you say... 5Gb sized patch?! What, they've recorded voices for every single bit of text in the game, added thousands of new areas and thousands of new unique looking ships?

It's all true Joxer.
    There is indeed a 5G patch in the pipes.
    You can make it happen all at once by doing what LEVI said above.
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My client crashes every time I try to log in my Klingon. He is currently in the Quo'nos shipyard.

I've made the launcher change and restarted but still crashes.
  • Options
    joxertm2joxertm2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just exited the game and tried it, there is a huge patch indeed.
    Ok, I'll let it download fully.

But as I've already said, I didn't experience any crashes, lags or anything similar.
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Pre-staging upcoming changes to STO. Set your launcher to download it just before your retire for the evening.

Most likely just artwork and maps that have been finished for S7.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

It's not meant to be delivered "soon", if you mean next week or so by "soon", it's pre-patching to avoid server overloads when season 7 is released.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Mines only a 3.4 G patch, not 5, but I imagine it's the same thing.
  • Options
    born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    joxertm2 wrote: »

it fixed my crashing. Maybe some people have a slower conncetion than you or are routed through other servers. It is a stealth patch as someone said. You have to do what the OP said to see it. If you do and it does not show you might have already downloaded it. Which would have been in the background and you did not notice - probably how they wanted it to be - un-noticed. Mine was 4.5GB - but i suspect that some had already been downloaded.
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I haven't gotten this patch at ALL.

I did have a small patch for Tribble and a somewhat hefty patch for Redshirt, but other than that, nothing.
  • Options
    andyslashandyslash Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    just got a patch for 3.11 gigs.
  • Options
    rehpicrehpic Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Season 7 is not being patched down to players yet. The first time you see it will be as a pre-patch. You can tell that a pre-patch is happening when you quit the game and the launcher pops up again and starts patching. At any rate, the pre-patch won't happen until we are closer to launch, and after Season 7 has been on Tribble for some time.

The reason you get a large patch if you disable on-demand patching is that there are a lot of game assets that are only needed if you play specific content. For example, there are several gigabytes of Star Cluster maps and related assets that will patch on demand as you play them, but you will never need otherwise. I would encourage people to NOT disable on-demand patching, since it will slow you down from getting into the game every time we do a major update, as you wait for a bunch of assets you may never need to download.
    Lead Programmer: Neverwinter
  • Options
    captzabjudahcaptzabjudah Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Hey levi

I'm not sure if I received the patch, but for the pass 2 to 3 days I been having a lot of crashes, can't stay on for no longer than 10min before its crashes. will try the option to the launcher tonite when I get home from work and let you know if it worked.

thanks

Zab Judah:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    yeah, as Rehpic said, On demand patching has nothing to do with any prepatching that might happen for S7.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    rehpic wrote: »
    Season 7 is not being patched down to players yet. The first time you see it will be as a pre-patch. You can tell that a pre-patch is happening when you quit the game and the launcher pops up again and starts patching. At any rate, the pre-patch won't happen until we are closer to launch, and after Season 7 has been on Tribble for some time.

The reason you get a large patch if you disable on-demand patching is that there are a lot of game assets that are only needed if you play specific content. For example, there are several gigabytes of Star Cluster maps and related assets that will patch on demand as you play them, but you will never need otherwise. I would encourage people to NOT disable on-demand patching, since it will slow you down from getting into the game every time we do a major update, as you wait for a bunch of assets you may never need to download.

Ok I will go with what you say. But before doing this I was getting lots of crashing and now logging in and out of 10 characters in all kinds of places i havn't had any crashes or lag. maybe I just needed something updated that was in there. I will click off the disable on demand patching.

Can you confirm that this might be the reason that some others are having crashes as well? Or are the many people experiencing crashes unrelated and this? Is the "adhoc" fix that i did just a fluke?
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I just did the 5gig patch and I'm still crashing like crazy.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I just did the 5gig patch and I'm still crashing like crazy.

I was talking in chat is DS9 and there were tons of people experiencing crashing to desktop. So Now with what the dev said I have no idea what is going on with the game.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Yes, better to just get botoed from the server or inconvenience yhour group as you enter a map/need an asset. STO's "On-Demand" patch system is one of the worst back-end options added to the game and causes more issues then it solves. Disabled it within two day's of it going Live after exoeriencing issue after issue.

If it's a large patch on patch do - do y9ourself a favor and disable on-demand patching and just start the launcher patching and go have lunch/dinner, whatever. by the time you return, you'll hbe fully patched and good to go - and not get atalled or booted because the client is tring to download and add a missing game resource it needs.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Unless you have an ultra fast connection (Europeans have a much better chance than North Americans), It really sucks when you have to patch for 5 mins during a loading screen.

What exactly is included in the "on demand" and "patch at launcher" categories?
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I would encourage people to NOT disable on-demand patching, since it will slow you down from getting into the game every time we do a major update, as you wait for a bunch of assets you may never need to download.

Uh, thanks but no thanks. The game was a damn train wreck leaving that option on. I would rather patch the whole thing all at once rather than little by little.
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really hope to Q that I don't have to Uninstall and Reinstall just to play again...

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

yah i rather have everything on my disk when i start the game instead of having to download stuff while i sit in front of it waiting for the loading screen in the middle of a zone transfer to load something.

+1 to OFF

on the other hand i have a 16 MBit line, doesn't take me too long to load the big patches anyway

also the launcher always says how many GB he is patching,
    not how much he is actually downloading.

he might be patching 5GB but only downloading 500 MB
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have on "demand patching disabled" and the game is still crashing on me. Also haven't seen any prepatch, then again I keep Tribble patched.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Crashing on DS9 after 2 steps. Attempted to patch tribble, but all I got was an error.
  • Options
    wolvenshirewolvenshire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the heads up to the "on_demand patching", disabled it. I too would rather have all patches and my client updated before I play.
    @EremiticWolf - Join Date - Oct. 2008
    [