Install Arc
Options

Keep Your Account Safe - Don't Buy Resources, Don't Share Your Account

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    "Never visit websites that offer in-game currency for real money

The primary reason for this is that that it's against the rules. We track account activity and will completely remove game access from any accounts that are found purchasing energy credits for real life currency.

The secondary reason is that many of these sites are fraud operations. The websites use several techniques to bait users into sharing confidential information. "

I am new to the game, and the first time I looked into my email, I had two of these.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I never play ingame currency, but it would make it ALOT easier on new alts if we could like send money to them, its like, i have a LT-Commander Tactical Officer and i want to make a Engineering or Science Officer to see what its like and well, i would like to be able to mail my 600k credits to the new character to buy stuff, you know?

Its not like it would destroy the economy, all other mmos do it, this one should too.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    JamieK81 wrote:
    I never play ingame currency, but it would make it ALOT easier on new alts if we could like send money to them, its like, i have a LT-Commander Tactical Officer and i want to make a Engineering or Science Officer to see what its like and well, i would like to be able to mail my 600k credits to the new character to buy stuff, you know?

Easily done via the exchange. Have your poor char put an obsure item on the exchange for an odd sum, then immediately buy it with your rich character.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mintas wrote:
    The funny thing companies larger and more experience have been fighting gold spammin since mmo's have come out. No one has found an acceptable solution. Blizzard (WOW) went as far as suing these companies, and even that had little effect. I will say every MMO should offer an account authenticator like WOW, as it has proven to be the best metheod for stopping account hacking.

Here is hoping the Cryptic will add Authenticators soon! They should take care of alot of the problem.!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    IMHO, I dont see why
    1-You would ever want to buy EC for RL $$, As it is simple to get
    2-Why power level? YOUR MISSING THE FUN OF THE GAME!
    3-This is not a good post.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    To be honest, if you fall for one of these sites (Or even answer a Nigerian scam email) you deserve to be taken for whatever you lose.

I do like that someone took the initiative to put out a warning tho. Thanks
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Other online games like Jade Dynasty and Voyage Century Online has ways to gain credits easily or
    leveling up other than doing quests. I think the reason for the forum is to help the creators in cases like
    this for input in how to better the game or good suggestions. Or if they overlooked something.
    I'm thinking in this case, being able to extract various minerals from asteroids, recycle floating wreckage debri and exchange downed enemy weapons, devices, etc. would be a good way to gain credits.
    Another is there should be various means at the Sol earthbase to earn credits in the game. I don't like cause I can't sell any available items in inventory or off my characters for credits. Some things turned
    in for credits that would be high importance (advance ancient artifact, enemy secret transmissions, unknown alien crystals, etc.) could be used as bonus points for player to be rewarded, from three
    choices. Like honor or material bonus. Another high importance is towing abandon/damaged spaceships
    back to nearest starbase or earth space station.
    USAFRet20 wrote: »
    There has to be some other way to get credits in game. For example, selling a ship along with the components of said ship, instead of just discharging the ship and it disappearing. It seems pointless to have to fly around like a maniac after a fight (or during) to get loot in order to sell it at a few hundred credits at a time. It's an incredibly long and painful process to get credits to upgrade your ship. Plus competing for said loot gets a little frustrating with the people you are fighting with.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kalarion wrote:
    No offense to Cryptic but this will work if only Cryptic takes a active part in stopping these spammers and actively not accept thier money when they buy new copies after getting thier accounts ban.

In a usual week I will get roughly 8-9 spammer mail in my mail box and used to get 10 or more spam messages before turning off TELL. Often times will see spammers parked outside SOL system and in zone chat and even with the complaints to the GM's nothing is done about it. So it leaves me and others with the impression that Cryptic Supports these spammers to make a profit.......

As for the other fools who click on those sites you deserve to have your accounts stolen and banned....

A lot of people said the same thing about Square Enix during the height of Final Fantasy XI's Gil seller problem. However, a short while later they came up with a "task force" that within a year systematically reduced the gil seller problem to non existant. RMT hurts their game and game business. Rest assured they ARE dealing with the problem. But these things take time and you may have to deal with the spam for now.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just totally ran into a guy that must have bought his account. He was a VA and didn't know where to get kits. He didn't even know what key to use for inventory. He kept asking me newbie question that i couldn't believe he could not know at VA. That was a first for me. I just said cya later man.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    After playing the demo and before buying the game I did a scan of my system and found search 7 so I wiped and rebuilt before installing the game just to make sure my account info would stay safe. I also changed my password after the reinstall just to make sure my password was not stolen during the demo phase since I was infected at the time I played the demo.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    GMDestra wrote:
    Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to make a post that talks about some ways to keep your account safe.

Keep your username and password to yourself!

This includes anyone and everyone. We do not support the sharing of accounts. Regardless of how much you trust someone, you are putting everything on your account at risk whenever you give another person access. [/LIST]

This brings up, to me anyway, a question that I know has an answer so obvious I'm not seeing it.
    If accounts are not to be shared--at all--how does a family or group of people living together play STO on the same computer? Would each person have to suscribe, or be content with just the demo? I was thinking a family might each have his/her own character on an account.

Not good?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    This brings up, to me anyway, a question that I know has an answer so obvious I'm not seeing it.
    If accounts are not to be shared--at all--how does a family or group of people living together play STO on the same computer? Would each person have to suscribe, or be content with just the demo? I was thinking a family might each have his/her own character on an account.

Not good?

One person = one account & subscription.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yes these "Gold" companies are ruining the true gaming experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's sad but they are out there. I've been playing since the first day and over the past 11 months since the game went live the amount of spam that is out there has decreased drastically. I used to see about 4 spam messages a minute - no exaggeration. Now, If I see one every 10 minutes, it's a lot. Cryptic has already started doing something about it, and so far I think they've done a great job. Now they've taken the time to just remind us of a few things. Now I've always known never to purchase something like that, but there are some people out there who always look for the fast way to level up, and they might fall for it. So I say thank you Cryptic for the reminder, and I hope that people will listen to it.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I haven't gotten a single spam since February with the exception of the occasionally spam in zone chat on ESD.

right click on the spammers name -> report as spam

places the spammer on your ignore list and if enough people does it as well it will chat ban the spammer and alert the GM's.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So how do you sell your entire ship instead of discharging it?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    simple, you can't
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I haven't gotten a single spam since February with the exception of the occasionally spam in zone chat on ESD.

right click on the spammers name -> report as spam

places the spammer on your ignore list and if enough people does it as well it will chat ban the spammer and alert the GM's.

I just turn off Zone chat. Problem solved :p
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    LiquidZoo wrote: »
    I just turn off Zone chat. Problem solved :p

I usually have it turned off as well, but I sometimes forget to switch to the correct chat tab after logging in.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    GMDestra wrote:
    Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to make a post that talks about some ways to keep your account safe.

This includes anyone and everyone. We do not support the sharing of accounts. Regardless of how much you trust someone, you are putting everything on your account at risk whenever you give another person access.

Never visit websites that offer in-game currency for real money

The primary reason for this is that that it's against the rules. We track account activity and will completely remove game access from any accounts that are found purchasing energy credits for real life currency.

The secondary reason is that many of these sites are fraud operations. The websites use several techniques to bait users into sharing confidential information.

Examples:
    • The website requires your game username and password so they can log into your account to give you the resources. DON'T DO IT.
    • The website requires you to create an account with a password. They will then hope that you will create an account with the same username and password as your game account. DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT ON THEIR WEBSITE.
    • They will offer you the ability to purchase something with a credit card. They do this so that they can steal your credit card information. DON'T EVER ENTER YOUR CREDIT CARD OR PERSONAL INFORMATION ON ANY WEBSITES THAT CLAIM TO SELL STO CURRENCY OR ITEMS.
    • Their website may contain viruses or trojans that will eventually end up stealing your game account or credit card information for fraudulent use. A reason to completely avoid these sites altogether.

Maybe an Authenticator would be a good idea. Having just a username and password for logging in to the game seems a little worrying these days.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    JaeOnasi wrote:
    Also, keep your password in a file somewhere, and when you log in, just copy and paste the password instead of typing it in. This will help avoid a keylogger from getting your password (provided you don't have a keylogger when you type the password the first time), if you want to be ultra careful. Don't use the same user name and password you use for other games, either, and don't use the same name as any names you use on forums.

Oh, this isn't the Solution to trick actual Keyloggers.
    Why?

1) If i where about to write a keylogger, i would implement an low yield thread scanning your harddisk for your cleartype password files. Solution: encrypt them.

2) Monitoring the clipboard for changes isn't a big deal. If you just copy and paste from the file to your password field the data are stored in the clipboard until replaced by anything other or a systemrestart.

The buildin windows onscreen keyboard eventually isn't a solution for the clipboard problem. Depends on how the keystroke delivery is implemented.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    booker9172 wrote: »
    It's sad but they are out there. I've been playing since the first day and over the past 11 months since the game went live the amount of spam that is out there has decreased drastically. I used to see about 4 spam messages a minute - no exaggeration. Now, If I see one every 10 minutes, it's a lot. Cryptic has already started doing something about it, and so far I think they've done a great job. Now they've taken the time to just remind us of a few things. Now I've always known never to purchase something like that, but there are some people out there who always look for the fast way to level up, and they might fall for it. So I say thank you Cryptic for the reminder, and I hope that people will listen to it.

yup much better with the spam in ESD chat now.. if they only could get rid of the 24/7 anomaly farmers in kling exploration clusters now.
    But noone seems to care about those ships scanning anomaly after anomaly with a running macro day after day for month.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Obi wrote:
    yup much better with the spam in ESD chat now.. if they only could get rid of the 24/7 anomaly farmers in kling exploration clusters now.
    But noone seems to care about those ships scanning anomaly after anomaly with a running macro day after day for month.... :rolleyes:

who just happen to start scanning the anomaly before it even appears but if you /tell them they say 'not botting'.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I traced the IP's of the top ten google hit for these sites and they all went to China or domain anonomizer registrants. Nothing trustworthy there.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    GMDestra wrote:
    Hey Everyone!

This includes anyone and everyone. We do not support the sharing of accounts. Regardless of how much you trust someone, you are putting everything on your account at risk whenever you give another person access.

Never visit websites that offer in-game currency for real money

The secondary reason is that many of these sites are fraud operations. The websites use several techniques to bait users into sharing confidential information.

Examples:
    • The website requires your game username and password so they can log into your account to give you the resources. DON'T DO IT.
    • The website requires you to create an account with a password. They will then hope that you will create an account with the same username and password as your game account. DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT ON THEIR WEBSITE.
    • They will offer you the ability to purchase something with a credit card. They do this so that they can steal your credit card information. DON'T EVER ENTER YOUR CREDIT CARD OR PERSONAL INFORMATION ON ANY WEBSITES THAT CLAIM TO SELL STO CURRENCY OR ITEMS.
    • Their website may contain viruses or trojans that will eventually end up stealing your game account or credit card information for fraudulent use. A reason to completely avoid these sites altogether.

SO....Why dont you sell energy creds yourself???????????? then we wont be tempted....afterall you sell everything else even an assimilated tribble...plz...you guys are doing great job but i am so tired of threats about buying ingame creds in every game...plz dont act like sony....food for thought ....
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lordboo wrote: »
    SO....Why dont you sell energy creds yourself???????????? then we wont be tempted....afterall you sell everything else even an assimilated tribble...plz...you guys are doing great job but i am so tired of threats about buying ingame creds in every game...plz dont act like sony....food for thought ....

Trust me if everyone starts to buy EC, the marked will get destroyed.

I have been playing a game called Lineage 2 where NCSoft didn't do anything against the botters or the ones that sold/bought in game currency for 5 years. The result was that people started to sell items for as high as 20 billion credits (20.000.000.000). To get 20 billion you need to play legit for several years or hope to get a lucky drop and someone that buys it. The NPC's can drop upto 20.000-50.000 credits each if you are lucky, but to kill the NPC you would have spent 15.000-45.000 credits on consumables.

Anyways after 5 years they finally removed many of the farmers and now the items that you needed 20 billion to buy, now sells at a more "realistic" price of 800 million-2 billion...and then they ruined it again by un-banning the botters....NCSoft, they only care about the money they get in the pocket and not about their customers.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm sorry that happened to you
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Give Cryptic a break come on. The spam is not as bad as you guys are making out. On a daily basis there are players posting worse in zone chat than gold sellers spam.

People are asking for them to stop gold sellers buying another copy of the game. That is almost impossible. The effort it would require would cost a lot. Actually technically it is impossible if the gold sellers always use different IP address and can create as many PayPal accounts as they want. Which is easy.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think there has to be a reason why no MMO so far introduced a user configurable client-side chat filter, based on pattern matching (keyword, glob, regex, configurable - to each according to his skill level)? As far as I've seen it would have taken JUST ONE entry in the filter list to block ALL the spam posts I've received so far, regardless how many accounts said spammer(s) would have created and dumped so far.

One could go even futher with publicly available filter lists. Why not? The concept of AdBlock Plus works surprisingly well with Firefox, it would be time for MMOs to translate that to ingame spam.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Also avoid adding TRIBBLE to your sig like this fool

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=4148779#post4148779

(1st post).
This discussion has been closed.