test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Keep Your Account Safe - Don't Buy Resources, Don't Share Your Account

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2013 in The Academy
Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to make a post that talks about some ways to keep your account safe.

Keep your username and password to yourself!

This includes anyone and everyone. We do not support the sharing of accounts. Regardless of how much you trust someone, you are putting everything on your account at risk whenever you give another person access.

Never visit websites that offer in-game currency for real money

The primary reason for this is that that it's against the rules. We track account activity and will completely remove game access from any accounts that are found purchasing energy credits for real life currency.

The secondary reason is that many of these sites are fraud operations. The websites use several techniques to bait users into sharing confidential information.

Examples:
  • The website requires your game username and password so they can log into your account to give you the resources. DON'T DO IT.
  • The website requires you to create an account with a password. They will then hope that you will create an account with the same username and password as your game account. DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT ON THEIR WEBSITE.
  • They will offer you the ability to purchase something with a credit card. They do this so that they can steal your credit card information. DON'T EVER ENTER YOUR CREDIT CARD OR PERSONAL INFORMATION ON ANY WEBSITES THAT CLAIM TO SELL STO CURRENCY OR ITEMS.
  • Their website may contain viruses or trojans that will eventually end up stealing your game account or credit card information for fraudulent use. A reason to completely avoid these sites altogether.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Ok you got it! While I see your post about ingmae money for real money. Please tell me you are working on a better way to stop game spammers. Plus we all know. Bind on Pickup should be way better gear than Bind on equipt.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't think the op is being clear enough. Could I have a puppet show?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    All That Glitters

Who would have thought that people who are in the business of systematically violating game rules and numerous international trade laws can't be trusted with personal identity, game account and credit card information? :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to make a post that talks about some ways to keep your account safe.

Sage advice; of course, it would've been nice to know that your username can show up in-game (by clicking the "Show account names" checkbox under Chat Configuration -> Options) before we were able to create our accounts... but, if you never learn from your mistakes...

And yes, I'm aware they've got a fix in testing.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wrote:
    Sage advice; of course, it would've been nice to know that your username can show up in-game (by clicking the "Show account names" checkbox under Chat Configuration -> Options) before we were able to create our accounts... but, if you never learn from your mistakes...

And yes, I'm aware they've got a fix in testing.
    username and account name are two different things.
    my name that shows up in STO and on the forum (Eleriel) is completely different from the one I used to log in (no, I aint telling you what it is).
    but... if, when you created your account you put the same thing in both fields, then yes.. your accountname and username is the same, and as you say, you'll soon(tm) be able to fix that.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    These STO goldfarmer sites are already too big - that one little google ad @ the top of my gmail inbox has managed to advertise for one!

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I made the mistake of let my friend play my account few weeks ago and we fell out last week on monday he stole my account

thank god I got a life time back at release helped me prove I was the owner and I got my account back

so my advice learn from me dont let any friends know your password even if you been friends so long your like brothers!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey Everyone!

This includes anyone and everyone. We do not support the sharing of accounts. Regardless of how much you trust someone, you are putting everything on your account at risk whenever you give another person access.

The primary reason for this is that that it's against the rules. We track account activity and will completely remove game access from any accounts that are found purchasing energy credits for real life currency.

The secondary reason is that many of these sites are fraud operations. The websites use several techniques to bait users into sharing confidential information.

Examples:
    • The website requires your game username and password so they can log into your account to give you the resources. DON'T DO IT.
    • The website requires you to create an account with a password. They will then hope that you will create an account with the same username and password as your game account. DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT ON THEIR WEBSITE.
    • They will offer you the ability to purchase something with a credit card. They do this so that they can steal your credit card information. DON'T EVER ENTER YOUR CREDIT CARD OR PERSONAL INFORMATION ON ANY WEBSITES THAT CLAIM TO SELL STO CURRENCY OR ITEMS.
    • Their website may contain viruses or trojans that will eventually end up stealing your game account or credit card information for fraudulent use. A reason to completely avoid these sites altogether.

No offense to Cryptic but this will work if only Cryptic takes a active part in stopping these spammers and actively not accept thier money when they buy new copies after getting thier accounts ban.

In a usual week I will get roughly 8-9 spammer mail in my mail box and used to get 10 or more spam messages before turning off TELL. Often times will see spammers parked outside SOL system and in zone chat and even with the complaints to the GM's nothing is done about it. So it leaves me and others with the impression that Cryptic Supports these spammers to make a profit.......

As for the other fools who click on those sites you deserve to have your accounts stolen and banned....
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Honestly some of you guys make me feel so bad.

I like to think of myself as a normal bloke that happens to play mmo's.

When something as easy as a post like this 1 is you still find time to find a fault.

This is a simple warning and already the vulture's are around,they did not mention gold farmers only how to protect your account!

Honestly guys get a grip!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kalarion wrote:
    No offense to Cryptic but this will work if only Cryptic takes a active part in stopping these spammers and actively not accept thier money when they buy new copies after getting thier accounts ban.

In a usual week I will get roughly 8-9 spammer mail in my mail box and used to get 10 or more spam messages before turning off TELL. Often times will see spammers parked outside SOL system and in zone chat and even with the complaints to the GM's nothing is done about it. So it leaves me and others with the impression that Cryptic Supports these spammers to make a profit.......

As for the other fools who click on those sites you deserve to have your accounts stolen and banned....

*sighs* and why do people think spammers actually stand out when buying games? :confused:

As for some that have their account name as their handle... ok so? Use a secure password. It's not that difficult.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Also, keep your password in a file somewhere, and when you log in, just copy and paste the password instead of typing it in. This will help avoid a keylogger from getting your password (provided you don't have a keylogger when you type the password the first time), if you want to be ultra careful. Don't use the same user name and password you use for other games, either, and don't use the same name as any names you use on forums.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kalarion wrote:

I have to say I agree with whats been said here a great deal. Cryptic unless your willing to deal with the problem of these people spamming us to the point where using chat in game has become a pointless exorcise, then taking the "just say no to drugs" sort of policy doesn't wash.

You want this to end? Track the spammers IP's and ban the subnet from logging into the game, when their ISP complains give them the logs of which IP's it was and have them deal with the users under most countries anti spamming laws. You have options but if you refuse to use them then you are just as guilty as the spammers.

As for the gold sellers here's an idea, sell credits in the c-store in amounts that undercut these sites if they don't have a product they will move on to other games.

I want to be social in game but until cryptic gets their spam problem under control why bother?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't agree with bind on pick-up for equipment, as it keeps me from being able to sell unwanted/unused reward equipment in the exchange.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You want this to end? Track the spammers IP's and ban the subnet from logging into the game, when their ISP complains give them the logs of which IP's it was and have them deal with the users under most countries anti spamming laws.

Why not send that information to the ISP's immediately? Just make it part of the banning process.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There has to be some other way to get credits in game. For example, selling a ship along with the components of said ship, instead of just discharging the ship and it disappearing. It seems pointless to have to fly around like a maniac after a fight (or during) to get loot in order to sell it at a few hundred credits at a time. It's an incredibly long and painful process to get credits to upgrade your ship. Plus competing for said loot gets a little frustrating with the people you are fighting with.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    Hey Everyone!

Examples:

Ty..not mention buying credit's destroy's the economy of the game
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coraon wrote:
    You want this to end? Track the spammers IP's and ban the subnet from logging into the game, when their ISP complains give them the logs of which IP's it was and have them deal with the users under most countries anti spamming laws. You have options but if you refuse to use them then you are just as guilty as the spammers.

Agree. Or go 1 step farther and don't allow new account to be created from IP subnets where the spamers have been reported. Post an error message. Something like, "We are sorry, there was a problem creating your account, please call Customer Support...". I doubt the gold-energy-sellers-spammers would call.

EDIT: Back on topic... get good Anit-Malware anit-Keylogger software and run them often.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Roach wrote: »
    I don't agree with bind on pick-up for equipment, as it keeps me from being able to sell unwanted/unused reward equipment in the exchange.
    Or give it to other fleet members...

So basically I can't go Exploration Mark Farming to buy Weapons or other fancy stuff (besides consoles) for other fleet members...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    USAFRet20 wrote: »
    There has to be some other way to get credits in game. . . It seems pointless to have to fly around like a maniac after a fight (or during) to get loot in order to sell it at a few hundred credits at a time. It's an incredibly long and painful process to get credits to upgrade your ship. Plus competing for said loot gets a little frustrating with the people you are fighting with.

In game ways to make credits
    (1) play the exploration missions. Besides badges there are "Drops" to gather
    (2) play the exchange market game.. i.e. Buy and Sell
    (3) Become a "Crafter" at Memory Alpha
    (4) Become a "Tribble Breeder" and sell rare tribbles

all these are open, and I have done all of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You forgot the whole if you buy STO Credits your welcoming the spammers (:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    what about the advertisements i get thru the STO forums and thru the ingame mail?

I assume that it is ok to buy from these since they are apparently allowed to run rampant in your game.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coraon wrote:

HAHA.

Companies with more resources than Cryptic have already tried.

These are not kids in bedrooms. Modern day RMT companies operate more like organised crime than anything else. They actively study ways to exploit, hack, and bypass measures to stop them. These are people who have no problem with using stolen credit card info to buy game accounts, rest assured they've already thought of ways around most common methods to stop them.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    HAHA.

Companies with more resources than Cryptic have already tried.

These are not kids in bedrooms. Modern day RMT companies operate more like organised crime than anything else. They actively study ways to exploit, hack, and bypass measures to stop them. These are people who have no problem with using stolen credit card info to buy game accounts, rest assured they've already thought of ways around most common methods to stop them.

They definitely are organized crime. Someone is responsible for stealing those credit cards, but that someone is not the same as the guys entering the game to farm gold. Spamming alone is an organized crime, with someone "higher up" developing the tools to enable spamming (breaking filters, hacking computers to create their bot nets) and someone else sending/writing those spam mails. It is kinda impressive and frightening what's going on in the world of spam, gold farming and credit card fraud and theft.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    They definitely are organized crime. Someone is responsible for stealing those credit cards, but that someone is not the same as the guys entering the game to farm gold. Spamming alone is an organized crime, with someone "higher up" developing the tools to enable spamming (breaking filters, hacking computers to create their bot nets) and someone else sending/writing those spam mails. It is kinda impressive and frightening what's going on in the world of spam, gold farming and credit card fraud and theft.

And like with everything else, the only way that this is actually worthwhile is because people buy gold/credits/accounts/powerleveling and so forth.

I'm not sure, even with restrictions, that Cryptic could stop the gold farmers/spammers... without hindering their customers...

Blizzard have tried for years to reduce the spam, stop the farmers and so on, and yet, they still have spamming bots all over the main cities...

How to fix it? Come up with a great idea, to stop them, and you'll have revelutionised the market!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i find cryptic saying to do one thang is funny it ok if we use rl cash for there items in there store but to buy from 3 party is wronge.

1 yes spam sucks
    2 to fix this all you need to do is expand your store for ship items not just ship skins
    3 i have not buy from 3 party but it hard when item's worth 19k sell in game for 375k or more
    4 i part time gamer i dont have time farm game 20 hours a day
    5 to banace thhis out give death penlty so market be fine
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The funny thing companies larger and more experience have been fighting gold spammin since mmo's have come out. No one has found an acceptable solution. Blizzard (WOW) went as far as suing these companies, and even that had little effect. I will say every MMO should offer an account authenticator like WOW, as it has proven to be the best metheod for stopping account hacking.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This is very important information. But I really could use without the in game spamming. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    :D
    Kalarion wrote:

good thing i looked here
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Staran wrote: »
    I don't think the op is being clear enough. Could I have a puppet show?

You'd be surprised. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Shadewarp wrote: »
    How to fix it? Come up with a great idea, to stop them, and you'll have revelutionised the market!

I just report/delete the mailbox spam. Mostly just delete now. Reporting though adds to the "Ignore" list. Which I tend to do anytime I'm being annoyed by it anyway.

Kill a spammer by not using their stuff. If no one clicked on the links, no links would be sent out. Unfortunately, even just regular email spam is a billion dollar industry, so until internet users wise up and realize there is no free iPod, iPad, Laptop, etc., it won't go away.

And filtering is a "reaction", so at best a band-aid solution.

Welcome to the interwebs! :D
This discussion has been closed.