test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

torpedo Damage against Shields

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
really not sure if this is a "bug" so much, as in an unexpected problem, or if its been tweaked to be this way.

since the last closed beta build, the one we had for the last weekend of it, torpedoes seem to be more effective at lowering shields than energy weapons, especially at close range.

its got a little better since that weekend, or it might be that the lower level enemies dont tend to spam torps as much, but with things like the 4 torpedo salvo used by battleships, or the rain of torps and cannon fire that three BoP's can let off, its almost impossible to keep shields up, even in defensive power settings.

was wondering if anyone else has seen this, or reported it at all? and if a dev would be able to comment on if its an actual glitch, or a design change.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    no-one else seen this? or am i missing something?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I saw it and reported it especially in the case of certain groups of BOP.

I can just get into range and when three attack me I am dead within seconds because of the torpedoes. They take my sheilds down when the first ones hit and the rest of the incoming torpedoes destroy my hull.

That does not happen with all BOP just some from time to time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It has been noticed by many with numerous threads, though admittedly they fall most often into combat difficulty. There seem to be two camps, "To Easy" and "To Hard", both are extremely loud in their points of view. Cryptic is aware of the issue and are continuing to tweak combat.

All we can do is offer as much detail about combat as we can. The general idea being, "its to hard/easy' is useless. Elaboration into what in particular the issue is, is most welcome by the Devs.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yes they do very well against shields but... idc haha
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ALL the time. I thought torpedos were supposed to do minimal damage to shields but man they blow through shields BETTER than energy weapons. The way I deal with it is once I see the volley of death incoming is I hit "rotate shield frequency" and brace for impact. At least that way my shields and hull aren't completely blown to bits and I can usually recover from the nasty alpha strike.

"Rotate shield frequency" gives your shields resistance so they're not eaten up by the alpha strike. And "Brace for Impact" gives your hull resistance so the bleed thru damage doesn't put you in a hole in terms of hull hp. If it's still nasty you can stack emergency power to shields on top of the above 2. That will give you even more shield resist. If you REALLY want to take the alpha strike like a champ then hit "Evasive Maneuvers" on top of all that once you see the volley incoming.

I can usually head into a whole sqaudron of Battleships and take everything they got and then some. But really I see your point. Torps are definitely doing too much damage to shields right now.

Edit: Normally All that is required to take the alpha strike is be in defensive setting and hit "Rotate Shield frequency". The alpha strike will usually only take your shield down to anywhere between 25%-75%. Reinforce it after the strike. IF your shields got too low from the strike then hit "Emergency power to shields" to get shields back up. If that's not enough then hit "Reverse shield polarity"(that will heal your shields with every energy volley you take on the shield facing). If your hull caught significant damage from the hit then use "Hull repair" to heal your hull while you get those shields up.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    thanks folks.

it does seem worrying to me that torps are the most lethal thing to shields at the moment.. and that players are using it to get into "easy mode" and others are struggling to make it past enemy contacts because of this.

hopefully the devs are aware of it and it'll be fixed soon :)