test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PC crashes after few minutes of play

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
This has happened about five times to me now. It varies between about 3 and 15 minutes after starting the game. My screen will go black stating 'No Input Detected' and there is a subtle but noticeable increase in the fan speed of the GPU, so it seems to be graphic driver related. I have a GeForce 9800 GX2, and I have the latest drivers (195.62 as of 14/01/10).

Still in beta, so I know there's probably no fix for this as yet, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    There are known issues with the newer graphics drivers for nVidia. Until nVidia gives us updated drivers or at least a hotfix, you'll want to use older drivers (190.xx according to others on the forum) -- can't remember the xx part. Not sure which I'm using, but I haven't updated them recently, so could very well be that driver version.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ive had this happen as well and im useing a HD radeon 4870...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Riamus wrote: »
    There are known issues with the newer graphics drivers for nVidia. Until nVidia gives us updated drivers or at least a hotfix, you'll want to use older drivers (190.xx according to others on the forum) -- can't remember the xx part. Not sure which I'm using, but I haven't updated them recently, so could very well be that driver version.

Thanks I'll give that a go. Happened for the sixth time while I was trying to make an official bug report in game lol. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Same, posted this 2 days ago and several followups and others reportinig same issue but no fix. I'll try what's been suggested in this thread. I posted this in the 'showstoppers' thread too but there's so much TRIBBLE in there that's not a showstopper or critical that they'll probably never see it.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1428705
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alas, Driver roll back failed. :( Tried the 190.62 but same problem occurs. I'm now going to try the 195.81 which is a beta driver. I'll report back
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm having the same problem. I have 9600 GSO. I hope they can fix this soon. I know it's just a beta but it would make it easier to play the game.

Also I my graphics are pretty bad on my computer and I have 4gb of ram and amd 3800+ 64x2
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Beta drivers failed too. Considering trying some of my older GeForce cards, but I believe they all use the same drivers... :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well that blows. :( I wish somebody from STO would comment on this. It's in several threads here now, but no aknowledgement whatsoever. :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I fixed mine ... Here is how...

1) Enable Vsync.
    2) Disable the PhysX on the Nvidia
    3) Download Riva-Tuner

Make sure your card is NOT running hot, and if it is, move the %40 fan speed to 60-80% to keep it under 80f
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    true, check your temps guys (EVGA precision OSD is great for monitoring temps while ingame).
    Even in the menu during character creation my GPU was getting up to ~75C with fan at 95%. Don't ask me why, this game isn't stressing the GPU 100% (other games that do only seem to raise it to about 78C max) and my GPU memory @ 1440x900 with 4xAA is only going up to maybe 400MB used.

I'm using 195.62 drivers in win7, no crashes so far at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Forgot I had EVGA... started it up and mt GPU was going past 105 degrees! Looks like I found the culprit - good ol' fashioned overheating. Feel quite the fool :o

Don't know what's causing this unusual heat spike, may need a clean. Switched to my old 8800 GTS in the mean time and games is now running fine. Yay! :D