test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CCA Graphics Choppy Only After First CCA Run Following Each Game Restart Regardless of Time

zizuphzizuph Member Posts: 9 Arc User
Background
I've played the game off and on without a graphics problem for six years. Over that time, I've upgraded my GPU four times, most recently about one year ago. When Win 10 came out, I upgraded my 7 product key and performed a clean install of 10. I upgraded my router about three years ago.

Problem Description
Following a major Win 10 update several weeks ago, CCA became virtually unplayable. I would begin attacking, hit a few cool downs, then everything would freeze until the end of the fight about ten or fifteen seconds later.

Reproducible Results & Temporary Fix Description
Every time I exit the game, the very first CCA I run, no matter if it's right away or an hour later, I get no choppiness whatsoever. The next run I start to get it a little bit. The third run it's so bad I can hardly do anything a few seconds in. If I exit the game before each CCA run, I never have a problem. Strange, right?

What Has Been Tried So Far
* I adjusted every single graphics option in the game all the way down to nothing. They had zero effect on this issue.

* I tried the frame rate stabilizer setting under the Advanced tab. /fpsgraph 1 does show large numbers of purple spikes while the issue is happening, but the setting has no effect.

* I stopped every background application and disabled every unnecessary startup service I could. No change.

* I tried switching from windowed maxed to full screen. No change.

* I monitored Task Manager's performance tab while the issue was happening. The CPU, GPU, and RAM indicators were not maxing or even coming close. The Ethernet indicator showed consistent activity.

* I ran a GPU stress test for an hour. The heat level remained within the recommended range, and the resulting benchmark score was perfect. Also, other graphics intensive games with newer engines run just fine at full settings.

* I ran a 3 pass Memtest86 RAM check.

* I disabled the setting in Windows that allows it to download what it feels is the latest NVidia driver.

* I've updated to the latest NVidia driver three times since the issue began.

* I confirmed the CPU cores are not being parked.

* I tried forcing 32-bit. No change.

* I performed malware scans with multiple tools. Nothing was found.

* I tried inserting a string in the launcher to disable DX11. No change.

* Windows 7 compatibility mode and running as root had no effect.

* I performed a forced file verification check several times.

* I deleted the game folder and reinstalled completely to a different path.

* I went through the motherboard, router, even the SSD, confirming all have the latest firmware.

* One person I spoke to felt it could be a connectivity issue, and wanted me to try looking at that. I power cycled the modem and router, and verified low latency and no dropped packets. I also tried giving priority to the gaming PC in the DD-WRT firmware, and even shutting off every other connected device in the house. Keep in mind, other internet games continue to run fine. In fact, I can be talking on Skype and watching a steady continuous ping on the second monitor while experiencing the issue, and the conversation is clear.

* A couple of people suggested using the Arc client without Steam running. I tried that too. No effect.

Here are my specs...
PC with ASUS MB
i7 with 6 physical cores
64G RAM
SSD with plenty of free space
GTX 1080
Win 10 64 Pro

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have another guess as to what else I can try?
Post edited by zizuph on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    zizuphzizuph Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Resolution...
    After trying everything anyone could think of for several weeks, I decided to just wait and see if a future OS or game patch fixed it. A couple of nights ago I noticed the issue was finally gone. I haven't run any OS or graphics driver updates or even rebooted in a couple of weeks. So, I guess it was the most recent game patch that did the trick. I can once again queue for CCA repeatedly, never experiencing any graphics performance issues.

So if you come across this issue in the future and find this post, and if you're relatively sure it's not your gear, do yourself a favor and conserve energy. It may very well just resolve itself.