test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

One Cannon Confirmed for Star Trek Discovery

ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
I was just watching Court Martial Episode of the Original Series and I notice Crew members from the Intrepid have the Delta Insinga as well So Discovery is following Cannon while still being its own Chapter in the Final Frontier
May the Shwartz Be With You
CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    There's several such instances of the delta over TOS, TAS, ENT, and the KT. Sometimes fanbois don't have any legitimate criticism so they just make things up to complain about.

Also a cannon is a big gun. Canon is the system of determining what can be said to 'have happened'.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Canon is that in the TOS era, each ship can decide their own insignia. If it looks similar to the Enterprise's insignia, then it is the captain's prerogative. Only after TOS was it established as the official Starfleet insignia.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Canon is that in the TOS era, each ship can decide their own insignia. If it looks similar to the Enterprise's insignia, then it is the captain's prerogative. Only after TOS was it established as the official Starfleet insignia.

Yeah, that's not canon. It was certainly never mentioned on any TV show including TOS, the background for TOS from the costume designer indicated the different badges were for different branches, and again, contradicted when Starfleet personnel other than the Enterprise crew wore the delta.

The idea each ship had its own is simple fanon.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > Canon is that in the TOS era, each ship can decide their own insignia. If it looks similar to the Enterprise's insignia, then it is the captain's prerogative. Only after TOS was it established as the official Starfleet insignia.

No, canon is that the delta is the branch insignia for starship-based personnel; there were separate badges for station and merchant marine personnel as well. That was producer intent and it was reasonably consistent. However, William Theissman, the costumer for TOS, made a few errors such as giving USS Exeter its own unit patch.

http://www.startrek.com/article/starfleet-insignia-explained
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    The "different insignia for different ships" was a later Word-of-God rather than canon as such; and given that this particular God was well-known for retconning things from discussion to discussion, or even sentence to sentence, I'd give the canon greater weight.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    No, canon is that the delta is the branch insignia for starship-based personnel; there were separate badges for station and merchant marine personnel as well. That was producer intent and it was reasonably consistent. However, William Theissman, the costumer for TOS, made a few errors such as giving USS Exeter its own unit patch.

That's also not canon even though it was the original intention. You could wangle things a little where both the delta and the chevron were generic Starfleet symbols (the chevron appears in ESD, on some of the Defiants crew and on the nacelles of most ships) and that the Anteres insignia was an older version of the cargo fleet, later phased out and replaced with the Huron version. However the Exeter and Decker really need some stretches to fit in.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The end result is that canon examples are inconsistent. This happens. It seems that with Discovery (and I think also the Kelvin Timeline) they are settling for it being a Starfleet-wide logo.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    The end result is that canon examples are inconsistent. This happens. It seems that with Discovery (and I think also the Kelvin Timeline) they are settling for it being a Starfleet-wide logo.

Predates the KT. The Kelvin itself used the delta.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    starswordc wrote: »

That's also not canon even though it was the original intention. You could wangle things a little where both the delta and the chevron were generic Starfleet symbols (the chevron appears in ESD, on some of the Defiants crew and on the nacelles of most ships) and that the Anteres insignia was an older version of the cargo fleet, later phased out and replaced with the Huron version. However the Exeter and Decker really need some stretches to fit in.​​

Since canon is unwilling to explain such inconsistencies, then it is up to fanon. It is easy to say that it is a mistake, but the fact that Exeter has its own unique insignia is canon. If a new remastered TOS version comes out with all alternate Starfleet insignias converted to the Delta insiginia, then it would be the new canon.

Star Trek fans are known for creating fanon to explain inconsistencies in the show. A better fanon explanation is that in the TOS era, every ship that has a Delta insignia is under the command of a particular Admiral or Commodore while the Exeter is under the command of a different Admiral or Commodore. After all, it explains why certain ships have the Delta insignia and others don't.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    That's also not canon even though it was the original intention. You could wangle things a little where both the delta and the chevron were generic Starfleet symbols (the chevron appears in ESD, on some of the Defiants crew and on the nacelles of most ships) and that the Anteres insignia was an older version of the cargo fleet, later phased out and replaced with the Huron version. However the Exeter and Decker really need some stretches to fit in.

True, but I consider it good enough. It is impossible to address a costume error in actual canon as the mistake itself is not part of that universe (as in: "Oh, Chief O'Brien, that was a blast getting demoted yesterday, eh?" - that's nonsense pig-2.gif ). The creator/license holders have no other way to acknowledge an error other than official channels, which is this. Hence, no unique badges for the Exeter and Decker - this is at least way easier than to create fanon theories that have just as little meaning.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    Decker was wearing his own custom badge to knitted himself and Kirk didn't have the heart to tell him off.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Decker was wearing his own custom badge to knitted himself and Kirk didn't have the heart to tell him off.

But he was so proud, despite all the loose threads sticking out pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    The way I figure it works is that the insignia in the TOS era is a bit like the different uniforms in late TNG, early DS9, and all of VGR.

Starfleet
    The standard Starfleet symbol is the delta going back to the UESPA however there's also what I'm calling a chevron apearing on the Starbase wall in 'Court Martial', as the pendents on nacelles and Some of the crew of the Defiant . To me these are analogous to the uniform of TNG where a different insignia would be worn on the uniform on DS9 to the one worn on TNG, hence why some members of the Defiant's crew have either the delta or the chevron.

Cargofleet
    Why do the crew of the Huron have a different insignia to those of the Antares? Simple, they're wearing different uniforms. The Antares crew are still stuck in the Cage era uniforms (oh look, another reason why it's perfectly fine the DSC crews aren't in Cage uniforms) with that eras version of the Cargofleet insignia, whereas the Huron's crew are wearing a TOS style version.

Outpost crew
    As well has having a mustard coloured uniform the different badges here, I assume are analogous to the coexisting TNG and DS9 style uniforms or these guys are the TOS versions of the guy on the right (not left), Thrust Barcode and his league of G-Men, or everybodies favourite Space NINJAS!!.

Starfleet Command
    Starfleet command seems to have it's own insignia worn by cadets or anybody working for Command. This isn't entierly analogous to any uniform changes in TNG but considering there's about 6 different admirals uniforms and about 4 or 5 different cadet uniforms (more if we include Wesley's jumpers) between TNG and NEM there's not too much stretching here.

Decker
    Considering what I said about the vast array of admiralty uniforms available in TNG it could be possible Decker is wearing a insignia used by admirals on active duty, not working at Starfleet Command. It does look kinda like the sunburst cut into quarters so it looks kinda like a delta.

USS Exeter
    I got nuffink. I can't really think of a way this can fit. I'm happy personally to just draw it up to the same errors that make O'Brian a lieutenant one episode, and ensign the next, then some unspecified 'chief' (he's both transporter chief and chief of operations, I don't think it was supposed to be a rank), then finally some really specific form of Petty officer that only exists in the American military all whilst never having been an officer.

USS Bonaventure
    Oh dear gods, don't even ask. First starship with warp drive (if we're generous with the interpretation here, this places it after ENT but pre-KEL and DSC so probably contemporaneous with the Daedalus)
    resembling a TOS style ship with chevron markings with this member of the Delta Triangle's council presumably a member of the crew wearing a TOS style uniform in white next to a Tellarite and a Gorn also wearing their TOS costumes.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    @artan42 I'd largely agree. Most of this is confirmed in the "about Starfleet insignia" bit of Startrek.com - I wouldn't put the Outpost uniform in any special field of task, it was simply phased out. The special "tactical" gear is always worn by regular officers for a job, it's not a special branch or anything.

The only thing that's not really fitting is the Defiant's chevron, but I guess it's also a costume error. If not closest I'd think is it's some kind of marker for a major branch of Starfleet, like the Exploratory Division or Corpse of Engineers or something.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    @artan42 I'd largely agree. Most of this is confirmed in the "about Starfleet insignia" bit of Startrek.com - I wouldn't put the Outpost uniform in any special field of task, it was simply phased out. The special "tactical" gear is always worn by regular officers for a job, it's not a special branch or anything.

Maybe this is only worn by normal officers in certain environments?
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The only thing that's not really fitting is the Defiant's chevron, but I guess it's also a costume error. If not closest I'd think is it's some kind of marker for a major branch of Starfleet, like the Exploratory Division or Corpse of Engineers or something.

It's simply a more angular version of the 'boomerang', I don't have a problem with it being used alongside the delta as a bog standard symbol because both the chevron and delta are derived from the UESPA logo. Again, I see it as analogous to the TNG (delta on a circle) vs. DS9/VGR (delta on an open rectangle) combadges existing side by side. Homefront and Generations show the DS9 style badge used on the TNG uniforms and I'm sure background characters will show he reverse as well due to costuming availability and reuse.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    it's corps, you swine! not corpse - BAD TARG!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    it's corps, you swine! not corpse - BAD TARG!

No it's not, they wear red or yellow shirts. It's corpse pig-2.gif.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Naw, that's the mirror universe branch, because they don't live that long. XD

Heh, no idea how that happens. Sometimes I just exchange phonetically similiar words without noticing it.
    lFC4bt2.gif