test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bonus rewards for doing things species way

I am wondering, since the accolade system does provide a way to do this, if we could deepen the storyline impact based on your species and even your faction.

It could be fairly simple as when in specific situations, your species could change the outcome a little, such as reduced dialogue, more indepth dialogue, or stop a fight before it could happen. Ferengi could bribe their way out,some Federation species could halt a dialogue from turning into a firefight. Klingons could get into it faster, even skipping most of the dialogue and start shooting.

The benefit? Talking your way out of a fight awards the xp you'd had earned anyways. Klingons get more xp starting a fight. along with maybe some raw dil, or in the Ferengi's case, more lathium.

Romulans get more xp for getting more information out, or getting in further on stealth, before being detected.

Bajorans and Cardassians would get at each other's throats faster, or have insulting dialogue. Terralites would argue with everyone. It can be similar to the discussion we have with Selemk in Coliseum in which we have to do specific dialgoues to get info out of him, and failure means we just try again.

Orions could seduce, telepathic species could manipulate the situation like "These are not the droids you're looking for".

Captains who have maxed out all the doff trees as well as the admirality trees would be able to access all those options possible and thus redo the mission to get all rewards possible (except the telepathic ones, still need to be a mind-reader for that, or get the traits off the exchange)

Rewards for these would vary, ranging from some ec, dil, lathium, RD items and even ship cards. Ship cards would be only achievable when the entire admiralty tree is completed. Something low level though. Those rewards would not be repeatable.

This would encourage more mission replays.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Sounds interesting but would probably be a codeing nightmare.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'm all in, doing it the Targ way. That's when you only realize halfway through that you love it XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Hey I'd love the opportunity to seduce/charm my way out of trouble as an Orion lol.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    As much as I'd like having more options during missions, I don't like the idea of extra rewards for playing the stereotype. Depicting all aliens as one-dimensional stereotypes is one of the worst cliches in science fiction and shouldn't be propagated any more than necessary.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    More options would be good(not enough dialogue options utilizing marauding, recruiting, or colonization themes), but...it's already laid out that we're all being railroaded into playing one way with the dialogue. The Federation way.

There was someone who made a series of foundry missions that offered more dialogue choices, as more fitting those of some of the red-side races(Orions and Ferasans, for example). But no additional rewards, however.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    While no accolades exist. There are variants based on species.
    Diplomatic orders recognizes if you are a Vulcan and you get different dialogue
    While in Surface Tension you do get to cut the cardassian argument with the bajoran representative shorter if you are playing a bajoran.
    Sadly those are the only two I know as I usually run alien gen or humans.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    The Octanti treat you differently, if you play as a LibBorg during the Delta Quadrant story arc.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    oh no, not calling for mission tracks to be changed. No. Just some subtle differences that encourages different species and different approaches. The outcome is still the same. The rewards would be low and one timed. It encourages the character to try to get some end game content finished to see what can be done differently. Firefights avoided, or started. Treasure station has that option. Pay the bribe or start a fight.
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I'd absolutely love more opportunities to flex my diplomatic muscle. I don't need to shoot everyone and everything in front of me, that's now how the Federation works. Working out a system that enables the player to choose to fire to disable as opposed to shoot to maim may be a bit too difficult to program in, unfortunately, but alternative dialogues can't be that difficult to put in, even if it ends up with the enemy npc being a hardbutt and shooting you anyway. I'd at least like to pretend my character is unique, instead of just like every single person in existence.

I don't really subscribe to a single part of Klingon culture, and it's not like a contracted bodygaurd Nausicaan or hired assassin Letheean would be busy yammering about honour or other blech. They'd still fight, but the flavour would be slightly different.

I'd fully enjoy having alternative pathways through the story, even if those alternatives are as minor as a few words of difference.
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2017
    There's a spot in Everything Old is New where you can discreetly knock out Ensign Svoboda if you're a Vulcan with Nerve Pinch. That wasn't originally part of the mission; Cryptic went back and added that. :)

I'm all for opportunities to RP my character by giving me more options where it's appropriate. For instance, I imagine my Vulcan captain carrying out the interrogation of the assassin in The Temporal Front by using a mind meld. Or when questioning Belan in Spin the Wheel, "tell me what I want to know or I will snap your spine!" should be a "right" choice for my Klingon characters.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    the option to knock out that ensign is for all characters, not just vulcans​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    the option to knock out that ensign is for all characters, not just vulcans​​

vulcan have a different approach.