test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Borg Origins: A discussion.

Comments

• Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    They started of as disgruntled Microsoft employees.

Ever has Windows 98? Yeah, getting it to work was futile.

I think you are thinking of Windows ME. It was one of those versions (like 8) that MS quickly skipped over to get to a fixed version, XP.

Windows 98 wasn't spectacular, but it was a solid upgrade over 95.

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    Incorrect.Once the Borg were made, or came into existence, they were programmed to seek perfection through assimilation.
    THIS is incorrect, as nothing has ever stated the Borg are "programmed" for anything.

If they were programmed they would be robots, unable to think at all.

And the Borg are not just pre-programmed robots.

The very nature of having assimilation as your core business, inevitably leads to the search for perfection. Self-programmed, if you will.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    kiksken wrote: »
    Incorrect.Once the Borg were made, or came into existence, they were programmed to seek perfection through assimilation.
    THIS is incorrect, as nothing has ever stated the Borg are "programmed" for anything.

If they were programmed they would be robots, unable to think at all.

And the Borg are not just pre-programmed robots.

True, Borg are humanoid biological beings. There is no programming, they act through a hive. In the collective, every single drone is still themselves but their thoughts are basically quelled by billions others. They are not machines. Not controlled by an AI or are a AI, they are a natural lifeforme that enhanced themselves cybernetically to the point of interdependence.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    wonder what explains there advanced technology.

if I recall a episode of voyager. a person said. back in my time they weren't much of a threat..
  • Options
    wonder what explains there advanced technology.

if I recall a episode of voyager. a person said. back in my time they weren't much of a threat..

Technology is their only purpose of existance. By assimilating new technology into their society the concept was that they fused every piece of advanced technology they found with their own. When I headcanon I ignore everything in VOY though as it doesn't make sense. Literally everything we see beginning with FC is a completely different species concept not in-line with what TNG tried to establish which is a shame. In FC and VOY, the Borg do the exact opposite of what they are always told to do - they don't adapt or incorporate new technology, they stagnate which is completely wrong for their established concept.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    ah my memory is fragmented as well it seems lol
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Stagnation is the ultimate logical conclusion for the Borg.

After assimilating the technology of over 10,000 species, the Borg have reached a technological apex which no other canon Trek species can match,m except for the Undine's biotechnology.

The Borg are arguably more advanced then The Dominion, who are shown as the largest power in the WHOLE GALAXY besides the Borg themselves. Even the Voth, who have existed for 65+ million years, aren't as technologically advanced as the Borg.

Then you have to consider the fact that most species in Trek lore are less advanced then the Federation, outside some gimmick technology like the Krenim's time tech, and its not really hard to see why the Borg wouldn't have advanced much in probably hundreds of years time, since all the tech they have assimilated since then would just another race's weaker version of something they have already assimilated.

The Borg only assimilated Federation stuff when they first met to gain a sample of it to do comparisons on, and once they determined it was inferior to everything they already had, they had no reason to assimilate it beyond to get more stock for drones.

But they are whipped again and again and again, displaying obvious weaknesses that are never adressed and some that they generated later on (effectively downgraded). The line of thought that low tech can be used to beat a high tech organism like this is a bit ridiculous methinks.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    V'ger was an oddity, maybe it was capable of time traveling, or any other form of time-continuum manipulation?
    Borg can communicate, not only over VAST distances, but even over vast time lines.
    This again is an oddity by itself, as it can relay new tech into the past, thus upgrading itself with future technologies.
    Whomever got the idea, this was a cool thing, was truly a whacko.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    That's not really an argument.

We already know black holes(like the one V'ger fell into) can transport things across both space AND time.

And there is no way for V'ger to has obtained all the knowledge it did in the time since it left.

But the time travel isn't a real argument either. It's a aforementioned macguffin with no basis whatsoever. By the same logic you can say Janeway was Spocks grandfather, because black holes, timetravel and alternate realities. If we simply go by the facts then there was never any connection between V'Ger and Borg, they didn't even operate similiar and by everything established V'Ger was already much more advanced than the Borg. I at least cannot see any reason the two should be linked at all. It is to me one of those cases people lump things together beause there are slight similiarities in miniscule details and thus assume it has to be the same thing.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Addendum:

There are several theories out there, like the old one - my favourite: the rogue Enhanced AI that took control over it's creators because it was tired of being 'abused' for their fun and ease, and which had developed a hunger to become more.
    This one i prefer, because it just feels right, it would fit an AI to do this, it could fit an AI to improve itself outside it's borders and thus use the most logical tool for this: the creators which already had brain implants to improve themselves intellectual wise but making them prone to become invaded by said EAI
    Then there's the questionable V'ger theory.
    The... cellar dweller?... beings from what was the source again.

But, problem is, I do not believe Star Trek has come to an end, it will endure time for a long while from now, and what will bring tomorrows new theory?
    Q having a moment of insanity and created them for whatever reason?
    Data not being destroyed in Nemesis, thanks to his incredible understanding in the Force, but being thrown into time and space, corrupted by the Dark Side, and creating the Borg?
    Or, were it the Flintstones that took a wrong step, altering reality, and so be the origin of the Borg somewhere else in the Galaxy (The Chaos Theory: Can a Butterfly in Brazil Really Cause a Tornado in Texas?, RED)?

As time evolves in Star Trek, new discrepancies might turn up, altering YET again our entire understanding of X (where X is some knowledge within the Star Trek "canon" (canon with quote marks, since canon in ST seems not true canon, due to all the discrepancies)).

Maybe, we learn in the future that Q is in fact Sidious (or some other Sith dude), or that the original Borg, which is the subject of this post, were in fact spider mice with tentacles.

Still, I am glad, you people took part in this discussion, I learned quite a bit of things happening outside TNG/Voy (the latter I did not really follow, for reasons like total idiocy (think how a future Jane from an alternative reality no less, hopped in in a modified futuristic ship from an alternative reality, no less, to 'save the day' by blowing up one Borg Hub, thinking that eradicated ALL Borg??? Oh COME ON!!!)...

And if Earth was that important to the Borg, would they actually send ONE! Cube in TNG?
    I would think, they'd send in a whole fleet of Cubes.
    Heck, why not hop into time in their hub space, move to Earth in the year 1400, as there would be absolutely no resistance in space, to take the whole quadrant?

Ah well, as i see it, it is a bloody miracle the Borg made it so far...
    God TRULY must be on their side....
  • Options
    There is no AI. Borg are not artificial, they have augmented themselves to the degree of becoming dependant on machines but they didn't become machines. They are "the ultimate user". Most of the origin theories can be disputed by simply watching the show and taking what was established and then go from there.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Angrytarg, I said explicitly: the old one (theory), this dating from about halfway the TNG series. (somewhere early begin of 1990's)
    Back then, VERY little was known of them, and back then the theory was, that an EAI DID take over command, leadership, of an already highly tech enhanced species.
    And this, up until today, is my favourite version, for reasons explained above.
    I did not say, anywhere, that this is a still global accepted version of the origin theory...

Edit: I seem to remember even, someone saying this EAI had advanced into a TRUE intelligence...
    Whatever the difference may be.
  • Options
    ADDENDUM:
    @angrytarg you said, you ignore the entire Queen thing due to her not being in line with the Borg whole, well, that makes 2 of us.

Let me take a step further: both the 'cellar dweller' (the Destiny thingy) theory as well as the V'ger theory are not "THE correct canon" (as seems, we all have our own preferred version), but mine is the old one in which the EAI -for given reasons- did what it did in this old theory.

There is another reason why i prefer this version: I am Autistic (Asperger), and I have extreme issues when things change for no reason.
    Some pointed out the V'ger theory is not entirely all explaining, even probably not possible, and the Destiny one is not liked/accepted either, for whatever reason.

This leaves an open end towards the "actual origins", I figure... or don't you agree, based on what everyone wrote here?
    Now, if that is the case, that there is no true VALID/global accepted canon, then maybe this very old theory might still have some truth in it, no?
    Hell, as i said, it feels like the most complete, the most logical one, mostly due to it's simplicity.
    There's no elaborate story, it all makes a lot of sense, and this one just... feels right... to me at least.

I'm not telling you what you want to make of all this, I leave that up to you, and I respect your choice therein as well.

But we do 'need' a truly global accepted canon, which will not be changed anymore.
    Since, I got lost in all these changes...
    Especially since some, like this Queen thing, make ABSOLUTELY no sense, in whatever direction you approach it...
  • Options
    The very first sentence said by Q about the Borg in the very first episode renders the "AI" theory implausible in my book. "The ultimate user" implies no AI being at work here since a AI would not be the user in an IT sense. Of course we have our theories and all, but none of the theories seem plausible - or even required int he first place - to me pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @angrytarg Well, what can I say: I 'need' strict information, it is part of my Asperger.
    I cannot help it, just as with things changing.

As for user: that is not correct, see, we see user as an individual using tool X, however, if tool X becomes superior, and starts to turn things around, then the tool becomes the user, and the 'user' the tool.
    It's a simple matter of perspective, right?
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    And is any of this hand-wringing philosophical angst really necessary if you just go with the novels?

I mean, given the time to sit down and script-then-execute a whole origin story and conclusion to the Borg menace, did they miss anything? Is there any point at which it clashes with on-screen references or writing?

I know there's a desperate desire to treat Screen-as-God when it comes to Trek - no matter how blatantly self-contradictory it is - but the screenwriters have admitted time and again they have X number of story ideas and then X+N episodes they have to fill in a season. N becomes all the weird, last minute thrown together junk required to pad the season format. On the other hand the novels tend to be arc-idea first, mull over how it fits together with broader continuity, THEN send it off to be written. Sure, you actually have to sit down and READ to enjoy that content, but it's so very, very often just plain better composed than the TV or Movie plots.
  • Options
    Well, these do not even seem to be the ultimate canon, apparently?
    I never read them, for one due to no time...
    Otherwise due to much of it not originated from official sides.
    This fan fiction, I do not know what to make of it, some refuse to see it as canon, others then regard them as the bible of ST.
    And just this uncertainty makes me very annoyed, as I need certainty?
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Clinging to Screen-as-God canon -- A position even CBS has thrown over the side of the boat -- is basically willfully swallowing the pork-byproduct sausage filler that goes into every season over something that was written by an author who typically has both more time and more love for the setting and its nuances than the screenwriters could afford in their mad dash to churn out another episode before the shooting schedule swallows them whole.

The last 20 years of novels have shown more dedication to a coherent Federation Universe, with more nods to other sources tying the setting together, than any TV season on it best day ever.

Find. The. Time. Reading them will enhance your love of Trek exponentially.
  • Options
    Screen is canon in Trek. Nobody threw that anywhere, it has been and still is CBS position. That doesn't make the novels bad or anything, there is just canon and non-canon. And all canon means is that new works should respect it as given and expand from there, nothing else.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Borg orgins? Easy. Likely Rick Berman or Brannon Braga. But my money is really on Ronald D. Moore.
    He's one of the writers who came up with the best ideas of TNG.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    All those interesting but ultimately false theories... Thankfully, Chekov always knows the truth:
    "Ze Borg vas inwented in Russia by a little hacker lady!"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    Find. The. Time. Reading them will enhance your love of Trek exponentially.
    I did not say I actively avoid it, I just don't know what to see as good, and what to see as TRIBBLE.
    It's like the fan movies on YouTube, some are canon correct, some... well, not so.

Like valoreah said: There are good things out there, but these are therefor not always correct or accepted as.
    How to make the right choice?
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    It's best the Borg's origins are kept mysterious, more sinister that way.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
      Star Trek Legacy for Xbox360 went into some pretty extensive detail on the origins of Borg.

Was also a game featuring all of the series captains (I think it's the only game ever created for ST that can boast that claim - Was also a really great gaming experience for me at the time). So I take its storyline pretty seriously.

It's explanations are good enough for me.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      reyan01 wrote: »
      angrytarg wrote: »
      azrael605 wrote: »
      According to Gene V'ger was Borg...

That's not true. V'Ger is Borg as much as the alien twins in 09 are Caitians. Someone (doesn't matter if it's Roddenberry himself) not associated with the design or conception of something is asked by an interviewer. The interviewee is obviously oblivious to the topic but just goes with an off line and everyone goes crazy. If you compare the actual shown concepts (you don't even have to incorporate that out-of-universe the Borg weren't conceived until "Q, Who") V'Ger and the Borg have nothing in common. All forced retcons to somehow lump these concepts together don't work out.​​

This.

As you say, none of that supposed association actually works.

Firstly, Gene's comment was a throwaway remark from an interview conducted shortly after the episode 'Q Who' aired. The Borg had featured in literally ONE episode at that point.
      Furthermore, his exact words were "the planet Spock saw 'MIGHT' have been the Borg home world". Also, quite a few sources include this sentence "Gene Roddenberry speculated – perhaps jokingly – that the machine planet was the Borg homeworld"
      Furthermore, the planet Spock viewed was described as a 'machine planet'. The Borg are not 'machines'. And Voyager 6 wasn't assimilated, it was reprogrammed.

Secondly, the already mentioned episode "Dragon's Teeth" confirmed that the Borg were active as far back as 1400 AD.

Thirdly - though closely associated with the second point, Dragon's Teeth also established that the Borg were native to the Delta Quadrant. The machine planet was stated to have been on the "far side of the Galaxy" - not quadrant, Galaxy. V'ger was clearly stated to have recorded information on "whole galaxies" therefore, the if the machine planet was the starting point of V'ger's journey, the machine planet pretty much has to be outside the Milky Way.
      The biggest thing(pun intended) that is problematic with associating V'Ger with the Borg is that V'ger exists on a level the Borg merely aspire to. V'ger collected things by digitizing them... and had apparently done this with entire galaxies. While the Borg are not confined to the Milky Way, there is nothing to suggest that they have the level of power to erase entire galaxies from existence.
      angrytarg wrote: »
      Screen is canon in Trek. Nobody threw that anywhere, it has been and still is CBS position. That doesn't make the novels bad or anything, there is just canon and non-canon. And all canon means is that new works should respect it as given and expand from there, nothing else.​​
      Soo... is there a source to confirm that this is still the case?
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg