test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Romulan Dreadnought (idea)

chispin55chispin55 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
I know there already are Romulan Dreadnoughts ingame, but I find that even the T6s seem Reman, as they are adaptations of the T5 Scimitar. It's unlikely to happen, but what if we were to have a more definitive Romulan design, say like the Dreadnought from Tactical Assault?
eakrQwJ.jpg
vpXjjcX.jpg
z10tQ2H.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the images, but I couldn't find many of it online.
I'm curious to see if others share this perspective.

Comments

• Options
    Fair point. That's an interesting design too.
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    What about the "Condor" from old SFB? (Sorry, no image), if you remember it. :)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Or we could use the Kara. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    Or we could use the Kara. :p

Yeah, I was going to say.
    Even though it's classified as an "Advanced Warbird", the Kara (the T6 Ha'apax) is pretty much a dreadnought, as it has an integrated lance weapon, a 4/4 weapons arrangement, and a single hangar bay, as well as being very slow and having high HP.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    FASA designs ftw pl0x
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    chispin55 wrote: »
    I know there already are Romulan Dreadnoughts ingame, but I find that even the T6s seem Reman, as they are adaptations of the T5 Scimitar.

I actually think they did a pretty good job with the T6 skins of making them look more Romulan then Reman.

Honestly though, I really don't see much difference between Reman and Romulan design outside of hull materials. Romulan ship design is rather varied, there aren't a whole lot of canon designs to base opinions off. I think the Mogai, despite being Romulan, looks more like the Reman Scimitar then it does something like the Double D or other Romulan design.

I think the T6 skins for the Scimitars do a good job of making them look more 'Romulan,' but of course it's all just personal opinion. Overall though, I am always in favor of more options.. options are good. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    If it belongs to another game developer they can't use it.

People say that, but it's not automatically true. It depends on the relationship of those rights to CBS, who I believe have been steadily improving at consolidating the rights so that when people make stuff for Star Trek on their behalf, the rights also belong to CBS (who already have an incredibly strong claim on the basis of derivative property, which has been gaining a lot of ground in the courts). But even if this predates that trend, those owning them aren't exactly making a fortune off them any more and might be approachable for a very modest fee.

Beyond that, the basic concept of a "4-nacelle Romulan ship" could likely seed some creativity on the part of Cryptic's in-house designers.
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    Beyond that, the basic concept of a "4-nacelle Romulan ship" could likely seed some creativity on the part of Cryptic's in-house designers.
    *points at Kara*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    heres an idea a romulan sci or intel dreadnaught based on 3 designs

1: D'Deridex

2: Ha'pax

3: Scimitar

• Options
    *points at Kara*

True... Though I've simply never liked that ship. Somehow it manages to be simultaneously obese and have boring nacelles.

The T6 carrier eventually grew on me (once I got over the disappointment of it not being a mini-Narada). The Kara, I still just flinch every time someone flies by in one. Its a perfectly valid Star Trek ship, but it doesn't say "Advanced Romulan Design" to my eye.

The more I look at it, the more I'm coming to like the Kerchan class presented in the first post.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I personally think the Kerchan is hideous. It tries too hard to be similar to a much smaller ship. Then there's the awkward way it's top and bottom don't match. The wings are exactly the same except they're attached at different angles for no obvious reason.

It doesn't really look like a bird either. Kara looks like a really big owl.
    The+Great+Horned+Owl5.jpg
    They're some of the stealthiest creatures ever made. One could fly up to you and land on your head without you hearing it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Fair point. I happen to really like the original dreadnought from Tactical Assault, as it's a clear evolution of the Bird of Prey components (see the third picture from the original post). A 25th Century update wouldn't go amiss :)
  • Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    Yeah, the two suggestions posted here, at least visually speaking, are already in-game under different names. As others have pointed out, Tactical Assault Dreadnaught = Kara/Haakona Advanced Warbird (carrier); Kerchan-class Battleship = Ar'kif Tactical Carrier.
    newstosiggy.png
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    *points at Kara*

True... Though I've simply never liked that ship. Somehow it manages to be simultaneously obese and have boring nacelles.

The T6 carrier eventually grew on me (once I got over the disappointment of it not being a mini-Narada). The Kara, I still just flinch every time someone flies by in one. Its a perfectly valid Star Trek ship, but it doesn't say "Advanced Romulan Design" to my eye.

The more I look at it, the more I'm coming to like the Kerchan class presented in the first post.

I do sort of like the Ha'apax/Haakona/Kara ship line (and its derivatives) is a bit developmentally distinct from the D'deridex/D'ridthau/D'khellra, (and their derivatives) like there was a different set of contractors or architects involved. Gives some more scope to the Republic fleet and stays to their usual 'rules', and gave some immediate distictiveness since the Republic fleet is usually more Ha'apax focused.

The designs up top actually fit fairly well the usual Romulan design practices:

1: Nacelles extending away from the hull and the main body, usually on a wing-like double-structure that gives a more indistinct secondary hull.

2: A clear primary hull or forward lobe, hooked or vertically 'below' the nacelle line for the T'liss-derived vessels.

1 and 2 combined help give the 'bird' shape to the Romulan fleet, but musn't forget:

3: Intimidiatingly large surface area for given mass to make sure to be imposing and huge.

4: (copper) Blood-colored by default.

The alternate universe carrier breaks rule 2, but all the KT ships look a little different than prime universe counterparts. The Scimitars, oddly, are about the only thing to break rule 1, with the warp nacelles attached to the main body and the pylons reserved for weapon mounts.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    The Scimitars, oddly, are about the only thing to break rule 1, with the warp nacelles attached to the main body and the pylons reserved for weapon mounts.
    Remember, the original Scimitar was a REMAN designed, not a Romulan one.
    newstosiggy.png
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,291 Arc User
    if the correct licensing could be gained, the Starfleet Command Firehawk is a great design

commandcruiser_v50.jpg

u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    yeah that might be pretty badass if cleaned up to modern levels :)
  • Options
    PRAYERS ANSWERED!!!
    0fb117e4508ef35a8ceb5e5c5cddf9441488840727.png
  • Options
    I like the new Romulan temporal heavy dread, but the fighters weren't quite the thing to my eye.

I'd still fly it though :).
  • Options
    It does have a touch of this:
    rBVaG1ZAKLWAQKrwAADv5YsVzY0161.jpg

But I still absolutely love the design. Even the frigates :smiley:
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    chispin55 wrote: »
    It does have a touch of this:
    rBVaG1ZAKLWAQKrwAADv5YsVzY0161.jpg

But I still absolutely love the design. Even the frigates :smiley:

hey, i have one of those! but mine only has a TRIBBLE little red peg stand, not a pyramid​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    friends dont let friends practice necromancy
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    it wasn't necro...oh wait, it was - well, it was technically relevant info

the guy wanted a romulan dreadnought and he got one, so naturally he'd want to mention it

i figure jo or another mod might just go 'meh' and leave this one be since it isn't hurting anything​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    I flag, report, let them decide. But I also sometimes comment cause I really hate necro
  • Options
    Seriously? I didn't expect this announcement, and was not only pleased about the dreadnought, but also the design. I also sometimes comment because I really like it when certain things I hoped for materialise ;)
This discussion has been closed.