• Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User

Oops, my bad.

I wanna do a James May right now

Oh Co.......
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    The stories are very click-baity. There was nothing earth was doing worthy of note in 1825 to start thinking about shooting high powered radio at it in 1920. My money is on observatory equipment issues versus something random that can put off those kinds of Janskys at that distance.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    If they are aliens, we can probably still rule out intelligent life. Why become a Kardashev II civilization just long enough to shout once into the void, then stop doing anything notable?

Most likely a microlensing phenomenon, however.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    228061-I-Wonder-Why-People-Are-So-Obsessed-With-Finding-Life-On-Other-Planets-When-We-Cant-Even-Find-Intelligent-Life-Here.jpg

:whistle:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    228061-I-Wonder-Why-People-Are-So-Obsessed-With-Finding-Life-On-Other-Planets-When-We-Cant-Even-Find-Intelligent-Life-Here.jpg

:whistle:

If I could choose to Favourite a post on these forums, it would be this one
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I do the CE5 (close encounters of the 5th kind, where humans initiate contact, invite ET's) protocols, and seeing UFO's in the sky on a near nightly basis. Pretty awesome stuffs. Anyone wants to learn it, PM me :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    There's also the trifling tiny detail that we now know some of SETI's basic assumptions were wrong, that our Sun's heliosheath boundary acts as a very effective scrambler and no signal we've ever generated for local use has actually left the solar system as intelligible data. Which sort of implies it's also a lot harder for other people to send a signal that we originally thought.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    It's a bit silly to start the article by saying that the signals are from "a 6.3-billion-year-old star"; it makes it look as if that's supposed to have some relevance to this, maybe that this is a civilisation billions of years old or something like that, whereas in fact, our own sun is 4.6 billion years old so it's not THAT old in star terms.
    Basically, if the signal was beamed out into the galaxy without aim or direction, that would require an enormous amount of power to actually be detected. But what if the signal was beamed specifically at our solar system? Well, that would require less energy and could indicate the presence of a Kardashev Type I civilization—meaning that it could be a highly technological, contemporary society that harnesses the solar energy emitted by its local star, much like our planet does with solar panels. This particular civilization’s social structure is theorized to be completely globalized and interconnected.
    Where did that last sentence come from? Based on one single signal that they don't even feel sure is genuine yet, let alone what it means? "Is theorized", indeed. Using the passive voice won't conceal the fact that "is theorized" just means "a starry-eyed SETI underling speculated in my hearing"!

jonsills wrote: »
    If they are aliens, we can probably still rule out intelligent life. Why become a Kardashev II civilization just long enough to shout once into the void, then stop doing anything notable?

It might not be just once. That's why the SETI people are aiming their telescopes at it in hopes that it'll do it again. (Or do you mean, why haven't they seen it before? I don't know, fair point. How long have they been monitoring that section of sky and with equipment good enough to have picked up that signal?) But it did also say that the other possibility is that they're only sending out signals in a single direction at a time, as we have from time to time, and we just happened to get lucky this time and be facing the right way at the right time when they sent a bleep in our direction. According to the writer of that article, that wouldn't require a Kardashev II civilisation, it was only if they were broadcasting such signals in all directions at once that it would imply that level of power.
    nikeix wrote: »
    There's also the trifling tiny detail that we now know some of SETI's basic assumptions were wrong, that our Sun's heliosheath boundary acts as a very effective scrambler and no signal we've ever generated for local use has actually left the solar system as intelligible data. Which sort of implies it's also a lot harder for other people to send a signal that we originally thought.

Is that true? That does make it hard to see how they knew where to aim it to, if they did aim it. But it could have been that, as suggested, they were broadcasting in all directions with some hugely powerful technology, or else maybe they've just been sweeping likely-looking exoplanets and got lucky. Or, bearing in mind Smokebailey's comment, maybe they're psychic, in which case they could have picked up the presence of a civilisation here on a completely different "band". (Though if they can do that you'd think they'd send their signals that way, too, rather than by radio. But then, they might do that as a back-up in case we weren't as psychic as they were; that would make sense.)

As for it being "harder for other people to send a signal than we thought", though, now we know about that, I assume we COULD now send a signal into space. So it's fair enough to assume that it wouldn't have permanently foxed every other civilisation in the galaxy either. And the fact that SETI's "basic assumptions were wrong" in terms of why they originally thought they should be searching for signals doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not this thing is genuine, now they've found something. That depends on how impressive the signal really is and whether they do get another one.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    They aimed scopes at it. The performance was not repeated.

And now the Russian observatory says the signal was from a "terrestrial" source - that is, one on or near Earth. No further details yet, but the last time this happened at a Russian observatory, it turned out to be a Soviet-era military satellite that hadn't been entered into the standard registry (for fairly obvious reasons, if you're old enough to remember the Cold War). And another such observatory - I seem to remember Jodrell Bank, although I could be misremembering - had a remarkable signal that turned out to be a faulty microwave in the break room...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, then there was the famous "WOW!" signal, that was almost certainly a satellite, but never officially explained.

But yeah, the sun generates massive amounts of EM interference. Earth is protected from a lot of it by the various magnetic fields and particle belts that surround the planet. But outside earth's field, simple stuff like cell phones would get levels of interference that made them hard to use if they even worked. Now imagine that over great distances...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    wombat140 wrote: »
    Basically, if the signal was beamed out into the galaxy without aim or direction, that would require an enormous amount of power to actually be detected. But what if the signal was beamed specifically at our solar system? Well, that would require less energy and could indicate the presence of a Kardashev Type I civilization—meaning that it could be a highly technological, contemporary society that harnesses the solar energy emitted by its local star, much like our planet does with solar panels. This particular civilization’s social structure is theorized to be completely globalized and interconnected.
    Where did that last sentence come from? Based on one single signal that they don't even feel sure is genuine yet, let alone what it means? "Is theorized", indeed. Using the passive voice won't conceal the fact that "is theorized" just means "a starry-eyed SETI underling speculated in my hearing"!

Basically, you can't channel a planet's entire energy output to a single endeavour (implied if a Type I civilization were sending the signal) if you have your planet divided up between rival societies who do not all agree to combine their outputs on the project.
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    This article sounds like the signal Tesla was investigating.
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    And YES there ARE aliens!

Everyone from another place is ALIEN to the place you're at.

And Extra-terrestrial just means "one too many people" - they're extra!

don't you love fun facts? :D
  • Options
    wombat140 wrote: »
    Basically, you can't channel a planet's entire energy output to a single endeavour (implied if a Type I civilization were sending the signal) if you have your planet divided up between rival societies who do not all agree to combine their outputs on the project.
    Still hypothetical. Do we know that ALL of them were required?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User

If they are not combining all of their planet-based energy output, then the only way that they could achieve the measured signal strength would be an enormous kilometers-wide space-based antenna powered by at least a thousand terawatts of non-planetary-based energy (i.e. solar or fusion)
  • Options
    If they are not combining all of their planet-based energy output, then the only way that they could achieve the measured signal strength would be an enormous kilometers-wide space-based antenna powered by at least a thousand terawatts of non-planetary-based energy (i.e. solar or fusion)
    Point was that X amount of power is required and can be achieved through multiple methods. Thus extrapolations of the social status of the responsible party are pretty futile.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    @lilchibiclari , how are you working out those estimates of how much power would be required? I don't recall them, or other facts and figures that they could be calculated from (e.g. the distance to the star), being mentioned in the article. Have you found another one that gives more data?
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    This article sounds like the signal Tesla was investigating.

The Black Knight fDgPwI5.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg