test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guide: Terran Empire Uniforms

dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
pvzlyzt.png

As a personal project, I started documenting the colors used on the Terran Empire NPCs in order to make my own Mirror Universe-themed captain and crew better match the updated characters in-game. Eventually, I realized that, if I didn't document these uniforms for players, it was likely that no one else ever would, so I hopped into the Foundry, color matched the uniforms that I personally wasn't interested in using, took some screenshots, and put together a guide on the STO wiki:

Guide: Uniform Colors - Terran Empire Uniforms

As noted there, they're not perfect recreations, unlike the official Odyssey uniform guides. The Terran NPCs use colors not available to players--Science officers are disappointing faded looking compared to the vivid blues that the NPCs use. But this is probably the closest you can get them without updates to the Federation uniform palette.

Feedback is welcome, particularly if anyone has come up with better color matches :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    Also, just as a point of discussion, I find it interesting that they gave each rank of NPC a different uniform jacket. I guess this was to add some distinctiveness, to let you tell different ranks apart at a glance, but I can't say I ever picked up on it until I was making this guide.

For my own characters, I don't completely conform to the NPCs. I put all Terrans in Sierra 2 jackets, regardless of rank, and other species in Antares 4. Lowers, belts, boots, and kit pieces go on a character-by-character basis
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I never really liked the weird skimpy style they chose. I always thought the Jupiter uniforms gave off the 'right' vibe for the Terrans.

22406396706_1128bfef4b_o.png

I do like the knives though, one can never have too many knives.

26186535263_e5a5400f71_o.png​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Your uniforms are nice! I wish they had enabled the Terran ranks for the standard jackets (and maybe vice-versa?), to allow some variety. The skimpiness is canon, but it doesn't fit every character. I noticed Cmdr Matthias wears a standard Odyssey jacket on the bridge of the ISS Enterprise.

I really like the new Terran uniforms, and think they're a lot better than the pre-s11 uniforms they were using, but I feel like, on a whole, they're less "serious" looking. I think that's mostly due to bringing back the bright primary colors, that even the Federation has subdued now, along with the short shorts for high ranking officers. Which perfectly fits with how hammy Admiral Leeta is, but isn't necessarily the direction I would've taken the Terrans in. I do have to say, the guys look tougher with the sleeveless, open uniforms. A fully open/vest variant would've been nice.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I never really liked the weird skimpy style they chose. I always thought the Jupiter uniforms gave off the 'right' vibe for the Terrans.

22406396706_1128bfef4b_o.png

I do like the knives though, one can never have too many knives.

26186535263_e5a5400f71_o.png​​
    With you on the not liking the skimpy for females - the male Terran jackets they gave us look nice. With that'd be available for females, actually. Your mockup imho looks much better. <.<
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    I'll share my old Mockups too. Please not that this was done BEFORE the newer Mirror Uniforms became unlocks.
    Mirror%20Uniforms.png
    When it came to the STO variants, I wanted to keep some of the asthetics we've seen in the Mirror Universe (IE a bit smexy for females) while updating it with what I had available at the time. So skirts were a must. And with the Odyssey, I felt that the Odyssey Dress top gave it a more Military feel than the Sierra 1, which was actually an older mockup. I went with the Enterprise Terran patch because the TOS badge is mirrored since its not on the right like on the TOS Terran uniforms.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    To be honest my uniforms take inspiration more from 'Yesterday's Enterprise' and 'Living Witness' more than the TOS and ENT Mirror episodes. I enjoy the concept of the Mirror Universe, but I kinda prefer the approach DS9 took with it, our characters in a hellish situation over our characters twirling their mustaches.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!