test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How would you do a temporal themed adventure/battlezone?

WIth major releases we tend to get a large battlezone off the current theme. We're currently all about time travel, so how would that be executed? A front in the past (set in season 5 Enteprise or TOS maybe considering it's the 50th) based around either espionage or a 'hot war' conflict considering what Vosk was up to in the 1940s. Or perhaps a zone where time is collapsing and lots of eras are getting chaotically combined (I may be stealing this from a certain Dr Who episode), you have to try to restore spacetime and send people back to their own time period. Certainly a great deal of possibilities, I'm curious what Cryptic are up to, they have promised something "big" after all.

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    remember the movie westworld where each zone at the resort was a different time period, there's your answer.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Oh it's easy. Turn old Iconia into an adventure zone. Put a bank/ah/mail, skill trainer there so we can finally move in. I would never leave that map again. It's srsly the best map in the game. It's really a missed chance if they don't turn it into a social map.
    I would help the iconians to shape up this miserable galaxy into a wonderful place. Me as a king ofc lol...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited March 2016
    "Battle of Procyon V"

Taking place within a transdimensional disturbance, the Federation of the 26th century recruits ships from all over space and time to help in the final all out battle against the Sphere Builders to save the galaxy.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Add it and remove it the next day? :D
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    There's 2 possibilities in my mind. Both are ridiculous.

1. World War 2 alternate timeline battle zone with wehrmacht grunts as Ensign ranks. The next level up could be wehrmacht officers for lieutenants and any higher level enemies could all be Na'kuhl dressed as wehrmacht officers. No Hindu luck symbols of course. Censors in Germany won't allow that. I'd probably do it in the same area that Starfleet Academy is located but obviously there'd be farms, maybe a small town or whatever. But you could still see the Golden Gate Bridge and older SF in the distance.

2. Not sure of the place but a battle zone in which every couple of minutes results in a time shift. For example if Qo'nos were the battle zone and all the enemy NPCs were Klingons and friendlies were Feds. Every couple of minutes a visual effect similar to the purple flashign light of the Devidians appeared and in that moment, all of the NPCs outfits changed from one time period to another. Klingons uniforms would change, their foreheads become smooth etc. Federation npcs uniforms switch from Odyssey to TNG or whatever. There could be 3 different visual switches on rotation. Again, I admit that this is ridiculous and probably couldn't be done but it would be cool to see IF it could be done.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    HOW WOULD YOU DO A TEMPORAL THEMED ADVENTURE/BATTLEZONE?
    1)Go back in time and erase the idjit that thought up the idea
    2)See Star Trek Timelines
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    "Battle of Procyon V"

Taking place within a transdimensional disturbance, the Federation of the 26th century recruits ships from all over space and time to help in the final all out battle against the Sphere Builders to save the galaxy.

Oh my god I hadn't thought of that but it would be awesome to take that event and make it a PvE event! Even if it is just future ships, but considering they used a lot of old CGI models it makes sense if it was a temporal battle with ships from across the timeline led by the Enterprise J (oh, and if anyone brings up the size issue: well the size wasn't mentioned on screen, that is just secondary cannon so it could be revised - or we just take the precedent of other large ships featured in STO that just aren't playable due to size).
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    these people did it.

http://www.achrongame.com/site/

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I could see it being a sort of war/conflict between the Na'kuhl, as well as Noye/sphere-builders as they each try to change events in a certain area of time to benefit their cause. With it maybe being a three/four way fight around the the Na'kuhl and/or Lukari homeworlds as they try and fix/change the event that happened to that specific world, thru controlling several temporal nodes/anchors that Allow them to make changes to the time period without being fully put in place till they find the one they want. Than you might have each of these anchors/bases/nodes transfer power/data to an sphere-builder upgraded Annorax empowering it with different buffs from the different nodes/bases/anchors, and which you need to defeat before it fires it's now main temporal weapon, which you could go about either thru first taking out the bases to de-buff the Annorax or head -on taking it out taking out the bases (each giving different amounts of rewards, or kinds of rewards.).

I could see this done in kind of a phase type method somewhat like the Undine/badlands battle-zone, yet with a slight difference that might be nice to see. Such as you have 3-5 bases/nodes/anchors that are protected by 5-6 defense systems that you need to take down to get access to the base/node/anchor. In the battle-zone you would have the Na'kuhl an Noe/sphere-builders working towards changing a certain event to fit their desire thru analysing different temporal abnormalities that appear in the zone bringing back the data to the main base/nod/anchor to fill a progress bar, while you as the faction work towards taking out the defense-systems to get access to the base/node/anchor to be able to input your own temporal data gained from scanning these abnormalities. After each base/anchor/node has had it's progress bar filled it would give the sphere-builder enhanced Annorax a buff or de-buff based on which faction filled the progress bar the most, and this would cause the Annorax to phase into this area's time an become targetable. In this final phase you could have the option to fight the fully-buffed or de-buffed Annorax for one set of rewards, or disable the bases/anchors/nodes that are buffing/de-buffing the Annorax first an gain different rewards.
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Well, do something outside the box.
    Create a ground level map in the 1940s Europe during WW2 with missions of killing TRIBBLE and Na'kuhl.
    WW2 was a bigger thing in Star trek during the end and I think it is a cool idea to implant in STO for a few reason:

1. Real time travel with assets from that period
    2. Gives us a chance to use a Thompson and M1A
    3. There is never a bad time for shooting TRIBBLE in games.

Suspect the cost would crush the roof, but still think it would be cool :)
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »

That is awesome.
    apulse wrote: »
    Well, do something outside the box.
    Create a ground level map in the 1940s Europe during WW2 with missions of killing TRIBBLE and Na'kuhl.
    WW2 was a bigger thing in Star trek during the end and I think it is a cool idea to implant in STO for a few reason:

1. Real time travel with assets from that period
    2. Gives us a chance to use a Thompson and M1A
    3. There is never a bad time for shooting TRIBBLE in games.

Suspect the cost would crush the roof, but still think it would be cool :)

A lot of new assets as a very different era, but if Cryptic were ever planning on making a WW2 MMO, they would have done a large chunk of the work already! Not that WW2 is PWE's style. Though I'd say if we do WW2 then it should mesh in all those old TOS episodes - I'm thinking "what if the Roman Empire never fell but were TRIBBLE's and all went round with Tommy guns". Or something. Not sure how you'd cram in Miri and and the Native American episode though... but it would make one hell of an adventure zone.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Hang the battle zones, I'm tired of them.
    I'd like to see some new Adventure Zones again like we have with Nimbus and New Romulus.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    It's a shame they already did Shattered on Voyager. It would have made a good featured episode. I like the idea of a similarly themed battle zone though.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    I don't think Cryptic is particulary limited in this area.

If 'Q' could have those weird 'pig nosed' southern troopers from a fake/alternative reality who shoot Phasers from muskets; I don't think they are going to be particularly restricted in temporal themes.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Roman Empire with Tommyguns sounds almost as badass as Romulans with Shotguns, and NEVER underestimate a Romulan with a Shotgun.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    remember the movie westworld where each zone at the resort was a different time period, there's your answer.
    Maybe have battlefield events that cause parts of the terrain to appear and disappear? So instead of simply beaming in reinforcements, there'd be a temporal shift and things would change. then, three's stuff, and enemies there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Not sure battle/adventure zones could have any kind of temporal flavor that didn't involve a clearly defined alternate reality.

That said, a PVE queue where the objective is to PREVENT someone from changing the past like, say, going back in time and stopping another time traveler from destroying the Borg Cube at Wolf 359, would definitely work.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png