test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you buy expansions?

dlmc85dlmc85 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
Hi guys, want to ask you about how would you feel about a more direct form of buisness for STO. At the current state ship sales (via zen or lockboxes) is what drives the game but while the stuff is amazing (i loved A LOT of the latest designs and even when i didn't i foud amazing the work on the models). So, if STO team started to expand/solve gameplay via payed expansions (one-time ones, not subscriptions and not necessarely dumping on the ship driven incomes) would you support it? Personally i would be ok with purchasing an expansion/season/upgrade addressing issues and expanding mechanics like a revamp of ship interiors with introduction of customization and stuff to do on ship; a revamp for BOFFs; a total rework of skills and abilities like abolishing the tac/eng/sci for captains; an exploration system in the range of 30/40€ (obviously i'm just listing stuff i'd like, not putting a price on what i've written), i know that in some way they attempted that with LoR and DR with their pack but they were WAY too expansive (i bought DR one with dil) and not directly linked with the improvements/change to the game.

Would you buy expansions? 95 votes

I would and will because it would give resources to devolping more areas of the game than new ships. (i'm not talkng about buying blindly even a Holo-emitter based exp)
20%
hyefatherbeameddowndlmc85kodachikunoretibeertluitenantkolonelhozz01neogabi1evilmark444theillusivenmankekvingrayfoxjamesspearhawk2013asuran14oktoberfest2dispryghanjacklewis404storulesbubblegirl2015 19 votes
Depends on the content of the pack/expansion (to be clear, i'm talking about tastes supposing a good content/price ratio)
17%
duncanidaho11nynikdaveynyspielman1pottsey5gricardo58nikeixsparhawkretepeladsylveriareldenfrocinsalparadise21semalda226grazyc2#7847zellkarrathnikephorustailfluff12 17 votes
I support the current model, it gives me the feeling of not being bound to buy stuff to access areas/mechanics of the game.
62%
lan451comrademocoikonn#1068flumfrangerryussbn655alexraptorrdaboholichippiejonlatiasracermustrumridcully0dracounguiscidjackmeimeitookitsunesnoutangrybobhvegeta50024lordsteve1eldarion79rmy1081 59 votes

Comments

• Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    This has been asked before, multiple times....

They won't change from the current business model, so it makes no difference what we want/ask for and the majority, last this was asked, said no anyway.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Yes, I would (assuming I thought the content was worth the price)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Depends on the content of the pack/expansion (to be clear, i'm talking about tastes supposing a good content/price ratio)
    Yes I would but not if the content separates the game. The problem with some expansions is you end up splitting the user base up. Which means less people forming groups and teaming up. The last MMO I stopped playing was because I kept joining groups only to find x amount couldn't play the content, other times I couldn't find enough players who had paid for the content to play it. (none of the expansion content was solo play in that game and there was a lot of expansions so it became a massive struggle to team up with guild/fleet mates).
  • Options
    dlmc85dlmc85 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I would and will because it would give resources to devolping more areas of the game than new ships. (i'm not talkng about buying blindly even a Holo-emitter based exp)
    I know it has been asked multiple times but still i wanted to ask all of you because, at least to me, the state of the framework of the game is being crashed by aging and lack of "fun" while the resources are on new ships so "has it changed lately?" is what i was thinking and at the very least i'd like the issue to be around.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    For the record, virtually everything has been asked before, so saying that is pretty meaningless. What matters is whether the question is still worth discussing...which is obviously subjective.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Yes, imho F2P is a vile abomination that sould have never existed in any game, no MMO should be free
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    Definitely depends on the content versus pricing. If it's anything like the current pricing for C-Store ships (actual value for money paid), then hell no.

If others want to toss $20's out the window while driving down the street, more power to them.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    I support the current model, it gives me the feeling of not being bound to buy stuff to access areas/mechanics of the game.
    Buying ships I like in expansions I like is how I pay for the game.

Delta Rising was very kind to my wallet.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    not even going to dignify this thread with a vote..

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Bad news for you: if you aren't voting or discussing the topic of the thread, your post is off topic.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    dlmc85 wrote: »
    Would you buy expansions?

A pack of 9 ships costs $120. An expansion would offer significantly more content than 9 ships. So that expansion would cost... what, a hundred bajillion dollars!? Wow... where do I sign up?

You know what this poll needs? An option where we can point out how we aren't happy with what Cryptic is doing with the current model, and we know full well they'd just abuse the new model as well and layer it onto of the old model making things simultaneously worse and more expensive, while dividing the player base. All while still offering a subscription that offers little of worth and nothing near worth the price tag, ON TOP of ship sales, lockbox sales, dilithium price tags on pretty much all in-game gear and upgrades (and that dilithium can be bought off of people with real money) thus essentially attaching a real money price tag to pretty much every item in the game... oh, and then expansion sales to boot if you get your wish.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Now you should recommend that they charge people hourly for using their bandwidth too. Imagine how awesome that'll make the game...

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Sure if the price of T6 ships is lowered to 500 zen.

SWTOR charged even subscribers $20 for expansions, STO charges for ships instead. I prefer the ships model since I only buy the ships I want and never miss out on story content.
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    Now you should recommend that they charge people hourly for using their bandwidth too. Imagine how awesome that'll make the game...

Or charge per login, which wouldn't surprise me, either.

Because... you know, it makes the game "better"...

...and stuff.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    No.

The F2P model works fine for me as I can choose to buy a ship or grind it out with hard work. I can decide how I want to spend my money without being limited to certain areas and kept out of others.

I probably spend more money per year than a subscription would cost, but I can decide when to pay and how much, it puts me in control.

And there's always whales out there who will spend thousands of $'s buying every ship plus hundreds of keys to get lockbox & lobi items, they pour more money into the game than a whole heap of subscriptions would ever supply.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would pay for a expansion and/or an subscription if it was promised that the devs would improve areas of the game that are lacking in improvements, and developement, like the factions, exploration, less commonly produced ship types such as science ships. While I would also want to see more balance in the power, usefulness, and viability of the abilities of the careers. Though i would hope that there would be more ways of paying for such expansions.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    So, here is something I'd like to throw into the mix...

While I do actually like STO's F2P model on the whole, it doesn't actually promote rapid mission content development. Why? Quite simply, whatever a game is selling, that is what it makes most often. To explain:

By selling ships, that only guarantees they make more ships. Since the ships are what they are actually selling, they will keep making them as often as possible. Yes, they will put out new content every now and then, but only often enough to keep players around...to buy more ships.

By selling expansions, that guarantees they make more expansions. Since the expansions are actually what they are selling, they will keep making them as often as possible, because...money.

So, while the current F2P model does "work for me", I would actually prefer getting more expansions, more often, even if it meant I bought them. All the new ships in the world don't mean that much, to me, if I don't have new things to do with them on a regular basis. That said, STO puts out new content just often enough to keep me around. But just keeping me around isn't as often as I would prefer.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    One issue I have with the current system is that it enforces and promotes a narrow focus on development, such as that since tactical heavy ships are quite popular non-tactical ships are largely abandoned in favor of catering to the power creep that pushes ship sales. Having a expansion might do two thigns one bring the cos of ships down as they are not the only viable manner of supporting the game anymore, as well diversifying the verity of ships available to make more play-styles develop as well. If you added in to this that you could buy the expansion either in installations/packs based on what you like, or in an all in one purchase that might give those willing to pay out such a fee bonuses it would make it easier to keep players invested. I mean if you had the expansion being about 90 dollars (9,000 zen) lets say with having 9-11 packages of content added, and yet if you made it possible for the player-base to buy these packages of content that make up the expansion piece by piece based on the content they want access to(story missions, side missions, ships, additional features, maps, vanity content.) at say 10-15 dollars (1000-1500 zen) per content package, than you give everyone the option an ability to stay current without relying on the whales or power creep to fund the game's development an in a reasonable manner that is profitable an sustainable.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    By selling expansions, that guarantees they make more expansions. Since the expansions are actually what they are selling, they will keep making them as often as possible, because...money.

They still aren't going to prioritize content.

It's more work to make content than it is to pump out a ship, and the ships alone cost an arm and a leg. In order to make content for money seem attractive they'd need it to have a comparable or better ROI. That means they'd have to charge... well, an ungodly sum for it. Hundreds of dollars. More than any sane person would pay. If they don't they end up in the situation where we are now... where making ships is still what's getting them the best ROI, it's still their money maker, and thus it is still prioritized and where the bulk of the work goes.
  • Options

So, here is just a tiny little bit of evidence to the contrary:

https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/shop/episodes?locale=en_US

Note that while those are called "episodes", they are actually mission packs, kind of like our featured episode series, and also come with powers and gear. But I'm sure you will find some way to say that doesn't apply, since it kind of contradicts your position :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    There needs to be a no option. Frankly, I would have, but given the current state of the game and just the sheer amount of issues happening, I wouldn't buy anything from Cryptic. Everything they offer is way to over priced, they're not fixing things, they're not really adding to the game as a whole but rather adding small things independent and entirely without purpose aside from the grind, way too much grind not enough fun or quality. They've entirely moved away from customization and playing how you want, for pew pew pew spend money. The game seems too unstable as it is, too many things are broken, not working properly, just plain not working, or constantly breaking. There are things that still remain a fraction of what they should have been from the get go.

Hell, I've been LTS since beta, and I'm STILL waiting for my Borg Characters to get full body skins. To be honest, this game and the company seem to be the exact opposite of what Star Trek stood for, so no, no I wouldn't pay for an expansion. There really is not faith left in the company, let alone enough for me to take any steps like that.

The current business model also seems to be pretty TRIBBLE, though it is nice that they do the giveaways and let you buy store currency from an ingame resource, again, I find that aside from the LTS, there really isn't anything in the store at a quality level that would be deserving of the prices being asked. And that includes bundles.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Note that while those are called "episodes", they are actually mission packs, kind of like our featured episode series, and also come with powers and gear. But I'm sure you will find some way to say that doesn't apply, since it kind of contradicts your position :D

Except it doesn't contradict my position. That doesn't even really address my position.

My position is that:

1) Content takes more investment than simply developing a ship.

(You'd concur, no?)

2) That Cryptic charges a large amount for simple ships. $30 at the highest (now standard) tier... which is pretty much all they develop now to boot.

(You'd say this correct, yes?)

3) Companies thrive on... making money. That means ROI, as little money in and as much out as possible. That's how you make a profit.

(Pretty obvious, right?)

Thus, in conclusion, in order to make developing content for money to seem attractive, considering point #1, and considering how much they charge for ships (point #2) they'd have to charge an epic buttload of money to match the ROI of ships (point #3) and thus have them prioritize this over ship making since, again, ROI is how you make a profit (point #3 again).

A link to DCUO selling content doesn't refute point 1, 2 nor 3. It also doesn't logically address alternatives to them, nor finding another logical conclusion than my own. It... actually doesn't do a single thing.

Someone else doing something (and that someone just consolidated all of their platforms due to waning numbers) doesn't mean it's ROI is better than ship/lockbox sales. I could point out that the Museum of Modern Art is a non-profit organization... that doesn't mean it would be an awesome business model for STO and that Cryptic would be more successful if they went in that direction...

To be clear Nagus, ALL of those episodes combined add up to about $120. A nine pack of ships in STO adds up to about the same. Which do you think is likely to see a better return on the investment made?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Bad news for you: if you aren't voting or discussing the topic of the thread, your post is off topic, which is against the forum rules.

not off topic at all, in any democracy you are allowed to withhold your vote for whatever reason.
    like the fact that this thread is asking for a vote on a free to play game where the representatives of sto have stated categorically they will never charge money for access to an expansion.
    therefore doesn't even deserve a vote.

its not my problem if the OP failed to put a abstain vote option.

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    No.

The content provided by the numbered seasons (S7, S11, etc) and expansions (Legacy of Romulus, Delta Rising) are free. You can take your existing ships, gear, characters, BOFFs, etc, and play them. There is no need to "Buy In" to play the content.

The game makes its money off ships and lockboxes. There are players already that feed into that big time. I do not want to see playable content to now have cost added onto it just to play it.

The ONLY way I would support Paid For Expansion is if it's like an Old School MMO Style: You buy the Expansion, you have immediate, unlimited access to what it offers. With no Lockbox style RNG involved anywhere. You pay and get exactly what you pay for.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options

Bad news for you: if you aren't voting or discussing the topic of the thread, your post is off topic, which is against the forum rules.

not off topic at all, in any democracy you are allowed to withhold your vote for whatever reason.

No, you missed the point. I said if you aren't voting *OR* discussing the topic of the thread, then your comment is off topic.
    like the fact that this thread is asking for a vote on a free to play game where the representatives of sto have stated categorically they will never charge money for access to an expansion.

See, now you are at least *barely* discussing the topic of the thread. That is more than your earlier post was doing.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

Except it doesn't contradict my position. That doesn't even really address my position.

You said that charging for expansions wouldn't cause them to prioritize content. I gave you an example of a game that is charging for expansions and is clearly prioritizing content. But like I said, I knew you would find some way to say that didn't apply :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

No, you missed the point. I said if you aren't voting *OR* discussing the topic of the thread, then your comment is off topic.

See, now you are at least *barely* discussing the topic of the thread. That is more than your earlier post was doing.

I am not discussing anything, a vote for something that cant be changed is no vote at all so whats the point in voting.

• Options
    edited February 2016

I am not discussing anything, a vote for something that cant be changed is no vote at all so whats the point in voting.

Everything is subject to change. Not that this thread will *cause* any change, but it is at least intended to discuss the topic. So if you aren't interested in discussing the topic, then your options are to not click on it, or to post off topic comments.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    You said that charging for expansions wouldn't cause them to prioritize content. I gave you an example of a game that is charging for expansions and is clearly prioritizing content. But like I said, I knew you would find some way to say that didn't apply :D

Of course I would say that, because it doesn't. And the fact that you'd snip out that part and dodge trying to actually, you know, make a valid point that actually addresses the issue is kind of telling. And I actually didn't know you'd do that, mainly because I thought better of you. Guess I shouldn't have.

:):D:p:|>:)o:):D:D:D
  • Options

Of course I would say that, because it doesn't.

I think we are talking about 2 different things:

1) I am comparing 2 different types of business models. The model that charges for content *does* produce more content, more often.

2) You are saying STO would never adopt that model at this point, because they are already making too much money from selling ships.

I don't disagree with your point. But simply comparing the 2 models, the model that sells expansions *does* produce more expansions, more often.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg