test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alliance Starbase

hygtkilo98hygtkilo98 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
See this in another startrek game would be nice to see it in this one

latest?cb=20090119145750

unity_station___star_trek_armada_3_by_knightvision3d-d7z28bv.png

Unity One Starbase was a massive Federation Alliance space station in the Gateway system, dubbed by Jean-Luc Picard as "The Most Advanced Starbase In The Galaxy". Following initial completion of the station in 2379, it was destroyed in a rogue Romulan attack. Rebuilt over the next five years, it soon became the center of Federation and allied trade and commerce in the Triangle and was critically involved in the Rakelli, Iccobar and Borg incidents of the late 2380s under the legendary joint-command of Captain TRIBBLE and Captain Lewis. (Star Trek: Unity (fan film series))

The Unity Project began in the late 2370s when Federation and Klingon engineers made plans to construct a large base of operations in the Federation/Klingon/Romulan Triangle. During the construction of the starbase, Adeptus IV served as a major checkpoint of construction supplies. The first structure of the station was completed in 2378, however it was destroyed soon after by Romulan renegades led by Admiral Arai. (TNG video game: Starfleet Command III)

The main spaceframe was able to be salvaged from debris and engineers began to rebuild the starbase and improving it. The station was completed in mid-2384. The young Captain TRIBBLE and Captain Lewis were assigned command.

Similar in size to a Spacedock-style starbase, Unity's function was to serve as a trading outpost, defence platform and base of Federation Alliance operations in the Beta Quadrant. Developed by Klingon engineers, Unity is equipped with a long range sensor array that can detect cloaked ships within several sectors, a feature that led to the initial Romulan attacks. Advanced races, such as the Iccobar have managed to not be detected by the sensor array.

Comments

• big68earlbig68earl Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    cool they should do it.

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,368 Community Moderator
    They can't use it. It was used in a licensed product from another company, and you have already identified that game (SFC3). Unity 1 is in the same boat as ships like the K'vortcha, Achilles, and Fek'lhr classes. They belong to other companies, therefore are off limits.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • hygtkilo98hygtkilo98 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    Yeah i like to har that from the devs before i believe that
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,368 Community Moderator
    They have already said things about it in the past. Because an original design was used in a game by another company, that makes that design the property of that company. In order to use that property, Cryptic would have to negotiate with that other company for the rights to use that design.
    For example, the Fek'lhr class.
    latest?cb=20070124204635
    This ship, while well designed, is the property of Activision. While mods exist to add it to games like Star Trek Legacy, a Bethesda game, that was done as a fan project. For it to officially appear in STO, Cryptic would have to negotiate with Activision for the rights to use the Fek'lhr class, and probably pay lots of money as well. Money that could be used in developing original designs or other elements in the game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    westmetals wrote: »
    It's a basic tenet of copyright law. If it was created by someone else, they cannot use it without permission. Cryptic has a license from CBS to use anything that was used in all five television series and in all of the films up to and including Nemesis, but not the 2009 "reboot" and its sequel, other games, or the novels. Anything that was introduced in another source, they must get special permission for. (I believe this has been done at least twice, since at least one of the characters from the New Frontier novels is present in-game, and the Red Matter Capacitor is based on the device from the 2009 film.)

Other than that - for example, for additional ship classes - they have to design their own.

Actually, I think there are a couple more instances. Luna and Vesta classes, which only appeared in books. Although the Luna class was in game since launch I think.
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    Thanks, no.
    Ok. That leaves the Vesta class. I remember when the Vesta was one of the most requested ships to be added into the game Took them a long time to secure the rights to use her from the ship's creator.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Ok. That leaves the Vesta class. I remember when the Vesta was one of the most requested ships to be added into the game Took them a long time to secure the rights to use her from the ship's creator.

And that was when everyone was interested in the deal...​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    (I believe this has been done at least twice, since at least one of the characters from the New Frontier novels is present in-game, and the Red Matter Capacitor is based on the device from the 2009 film.)

Other than that - for example, for additional ship classes - they have to design their own.
    Well, IIRC, the Jellyfish (and all the Red Matter gear onboard) first showed up in the comics that lead into the JJ Trek movies, and CBS holds the rights to that property, so there were no hoops to jump through for that one.

I have no idea which character from New Frontier you are referring to, but I suspect it was someone the book borrowed from a show or movie, thus making it easy to use. That, or the character was officially generic, but had enough details similar that readers of the books drew the connections. Lt Joe Smith, for example, of the USS Enterprise, who was in Engineering and liked to spend time on Risa.

That would leave us with the Vesta, which IIRC was a bit of a pain to do at the time.

Basically, unless it really advances the story line, or they can monetize it, I wouldn't hold out hope for anything not belonging to CBS or Cryptic to show up ingame.

"Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    There are ship classes that appear in mutiple games like the appolo class. It was in st legacy and sfc 2 and shattered universe. So i wonder if cbs owns this ship and maybe more
    bergins wrote: »
    I have no idea which character from New Frontier you are referring to, but I suspect it was someone the book borrowed from a show or movie, thus making it easy to use.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Captain_Mackenzie_Calhoun
    Actually he ONLY showed up in the New Frontier books.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Well people already explained why Unity Station isn't happening. But there is another alternative for an "Alliance Starbase" - The Original STO ESD.
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    What the game needs is Romulan Starbase assets, or at least, ones that can be used as a Fleet Starbase skin and interior.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    hygtkilo98 wrote: »

If Cryptic had to reply to every ill-conceived idea from newcomers, to bring something from other games into the games, they'd never get any work done.

Want evidence? Go look for it... It's all over the forums... if you don't want to, please just don't bother making threads such as these.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • hygtkilo98hygtkilo98 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    hygtkilo98 wrote: »

If Cryptic had to reply to every ill-conceived idea from newcomers, to bring something from other games into the games, they'd never get any work done.

Want evidence? Go look for it... It's all over the forums... if you don't want to, please just don't bother making threads such as these.

well anazonda i'll make the thread if i please that what the forums are for ;)