test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should bare hull resist Energy Weapons the same way Shields resist Torpedoes?

124»

Comments

• Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think no matter what canon says on various occasions (which seems to contradict like most of the time), gameplay wise it would make more sense if:

Energy weapons -> strong against energy shielding -> weak against armor/hull
    Torpedo/kinetic Weapons -> strong against armor/hull -> weak against energy shielding

Then it would make sense to equip BOTH types of weapons in order to be succesful.
    As it is now, pure energy builds are favorized by the game mechanics. Which is a pity since combinations of Torpedo/Energy weapons would make the game feel much more like Trek imo.
    (and it would be much more fun to outmaneuver the enemy to place a devestating blow, instead of just brainless fireing at it until it blows up)

btw: Why aren't there more 180° or even 360° (self guided) torpedo weapons?
    Isn't it a bit unfair to make the only 180° torpedo weapon accessible for FED players?
    Why not make it a crafting mod like [over] or [rapid]?
    I bet much more players would love to use Torpedoes if they wouldn't reduce their general DPS output.

Regarding canon, Cryptic has respected/ignored canon as they like. In THIS case i think hard canon (whatever it says) should be taken easy in favour of a more Trek feel for the game.

Just my 2 cents.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The older torps definitely need a buff to be brought in line with current NPC HP, to that end I would double the base damage for all torp types and then reduce the boosts on the newer ones that do more than intended.

I also think that in innate energy resist for hull is a reasonable idea but only upto 25%.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit unfair to make the only 180° torpedo weapon accessible for FED players?

Afaik we already have 2, one for both factions. That aside, this argument could be held for every shiptrait and universal console. Just saying ;)
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I did read it before you did even and, you obviously didn't read the changes before spouting off the mouth!

Revise your post, as it now contradicts what is posted by myself.

But, I see where you didn't even read into my post, you know the part where it says!

*double facepalm*, I guess you don't actually read the full descriptions? The warhead reaction is encased in a magnetic field preventing it from effecting the launching system and, destroying itself in the process, this why they can be manually detonated and/or upon impact if need be.

Also shown in your own post!

Now, go back and actually read up on this stuff, before contradicting yourself some more.

Since you didn't read your linked page or my reply to your foolishness, I'll space it out and use pretty colours to highlight the fundamental flaw in your comprehension.

The matter and anti matter would need to be kept APART by containment fields, since when they meet... BANG!

As a safety measure the matter and antimatter are kept initially completely separated in the warhead.

Only after the launch they are mixed during flight in the combiner tank, while still separated from each other in magnetic packets.

There is no Matter/Anti-Matter reaction until the magnetic packets are allowed to pop, the containment fields dropped, THEN and ONLY then do the matter and anti-matter actually come into contact and detonate.

So, no, and no facepalms doubled or otherwise, the page and the actual science behind the page are both very very clear... no reaction until the torpedo is detonated.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Since you didn't read your linked page or my reply to your foolishness, I'll space it out and use pretty colours to highlight the fundamental flaw in your comprehension.

The matter and anti matter would need to be kept APART by containment fields, since when they meet... BANG!

As a safety measure the matter and antimatter are kept initially completely separated in the warhead.

Only after the launch they are mixed during flight in the combiner tank, while still separated from each other in magnetic packets.

There is no Matter/Anti-Matter reaction until the magnetic packets are allowed to pop, the containment fields dropped, THEN and ONLY then do the matter and anti-matter actually come into contact and detonate.

So, no, and no facepalms doubled or otherwise, the page and the actual science behind the page are both very very clear... no reaction until the torpedo is detonated.

What part of a magnetic containment field [aka packets as they call it], do you not understand, because I believe my post, you know the one you commented on, was pretty clear and, is obvious you don't read into enough?

So, now you are getting myself, my cat and, my pet tribble, all doing a *double facepalm*!!!

Would some more links help you out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_confinement_fusion

http://www.fusion-eur.org/fusion_cd/magnetic.htm

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Magnetic_containment_field

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antimatter_containment
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    What part of a magnetic containment field [aka packets as they call it], do you not understand, because I believe my post, you know the one you commented on, was pretty clear and, is obvious you don't read into enough?

So, now you are getting myself, my cat and, my pet tribble, all doing a *double facepalm*!!!

Would some links help you out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_confinement_fusion

http://www.fusion-eur.org/fusion_cd/magnetic.htm

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Magnetic_containment_field

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antimatter_containment

What part of the word SEPARATED do you your cat and your tribble fail to understand...

The photon torpedo page you linked clearly states the 2 pasrts of the M/AM explosive are SEPARATED by the fields until detonation, go read your own linked page slowly, if you have trouble with this, ask your cat or tribble to read it out to you aloud...

Once again I will prove you wrong with a quote from your own linked page...
    Antimatter containment was the process whereby antimatter and matter were kept separated by the use of magnetic fields to prevent the oppositely charged particles from colliding, which would result in the mutual destruction of the matter and antimatter, along with a violent and explosive release of pure energy according to Einstein's formula E=mc2.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    What part of the word SEPARATED do you your cat and your tribble fail to understand...

The photon torpedo page you linked clearly states the 2 pasrts of the M/AM explosive are SEPARATED by the fields until detonation, go read your own linked page slowly, if you have trouble with this, ask your cat or tribble to read it out to you aloud...

What in dear god, do you not comprehend what exactly a magnetic containment field does?

It separates the nuclear material, in this case the matter and, antimatter, and yes magnetic packets would fall into this category.

I provided plenty of reading material via links and, yet you still cannot fathom what I posted as being correct!

Again, please re-read them, as you are again contradicting yourself some more.

Next your going to be telling me, that a fusion and, fission bomb, don't require an atomic chamber!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    What in dear god, do you not comprehend what exactly a magnetic containment field does?

It separates the nuclear material, in this case the matter and, antimatter.

I provided plenty of reading material via links and, yet you still cannot fathom what I posted as being correct!

Again, please re-read them, as you are again contradicting yourself some more.

Next your going to be telling me, that a fusion and, fission bomb, don't require an atomic chamber!

Your fundamental flaw was in an earlier post, where you incorrectly claimed that there is an ACTIVE matter/anti-matter reaction occuring as soon as the torpedo leaves the launcher, every page on the subject you have linked, and the actual science behind those pages states otherwise, no actual contact until the warhead is detonated.

If you cant understand that, or even bother to read the FIRST paragraph on the page you linked, then this conversation is over.

Fission reactors do not use magnetic containment. nor do fission weapons.

Oh and the Sun manages to have fusion without a containment chamber, just an FYI.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Your fundamental flaw was in an earlier post, where you incorrectly claimed that there is an ACTIVE matter/anti-matter reaction occuring as soon as the torpedo leaves the launcher, every page on the subject you have linked, and the actual science behind those pages states otherwise, no actual contact until the warhead is detonated.

If you cant understand that, or even bother to read the FIRST paragraph on the page you linked, then this conversation is over.

Fission reactors do not use magnetic containment. nor do fission weapons.

Oh and the Sun manages to have fusion without a containment chamber, just an FYI.

Ok, let me find it for you, since you obviously cannot read!

◾ As a safety measure the matter and antimatter are kept initially completely separated in the warhead. Only after the launch they are mixed during flight in the combiner tank, while still separated from each other in magnetic packets. This mixing takes a minimum of 1.02 seconds. (pg. 128, 129) This would explain why photon torpedoes are usually launched at very slow velocities when their targets are in relatively close range. As the travel time must always be over one second for the warhead to be ready to detonate

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Photon_torpedo

Oh lookie, a reaction is imminent [meaning it will happen, no matter what], only held back by a magnetic containment field process until either.

1: it is manually detonated

2: it is detonated upon impact

3: it reaches its maximum range, in which case the magnetic containment field will collapse, allowing the torpedo to detonate anyways.

Now, look it up for yourself, before again contradicting yourself, yet again!

Because you are now getting, a *double facepalm* from my dog as well and, I don't even have a dog!

And, the sun, isn't a nuclear bomb, again not reading are you?

Nor, did I state, that a nuclear bomb, requires a magnetic containment field, only you are getting the idea they do, from nowhere!

Although, the technology could be used for one, instead of relying on rudimentary particle collision solely.

They would still need to collide but, you can use magnetic fields to cause it.

• Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    I think no matter what canon says on various occasions (which seems to contradict like most of the time), gameplay wise it would make more sense if:

Energy weapons -> strong against energy shielding -> weak against armor/hull
    Torpedo/kinetic Weapons -> strong against armor/hull -> weak against energy shielding

Then it would make sense to equip BOTH types of weapons in order to be succesful.
    As it is now, pure energy builds are favorized by the game mechanics. Which is a pity since combinations of Torpedo/Energy weapons would make the game feel much more like Trek imo.
    (and it would be much more fun to outmaneuver the enemy to place a devestating blow, instead of just brainless fireing at it until it blows up)

Indeed that would be great and a nice change to the gameplay.
    Bridger.png