test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Alien" food

steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
Okay, not that kind of "alien". :P Normal for me, but "alien" to the West Coast apparently, several of my native state's popular foods are tried for the first time by Californians. It has been a while since I laughed so hard. Oh, and if you've never consumed one, red-capped "Blenheim's" is practically Southern speak for "liquid fire". Pain that pleases. Despite it being a soft drink, I suspect Klingons would consume large tankards of it.

Also, they should have included Frogmore Stew (no frogs), a.k.a. Low Country Boil, my state's answer to a clam bake.

Got any vids of taste testing of food common to your part of the globe but alien to us?
Post edited by steamwright on

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Okay, not that kind of "alien". :P Normal for me, but "alien" to the West Coast apparently, several of my native state's popular foods are tried for the first time by Californians. It has been a while since I laughed so hard. Oh, and if you've never consumed one, red-capped "Blenheim's" is practically Southern speak for "liquid fire". Pain that pleases. Despite it being a soft drink, I suspect Klingons would consume large tankards of it.

On the other hand, that one guy had zero restraint with the sweet tea. That was cute.
    Also, they should have included Frogmore Stew (no frogs), a.k.a. Low Country Boil, my state's answer to a clam bake.

Got any vids of taste testing of food common to your part of the globe but alien to us?

I have heard there are some funny reactions to Vegemite. Not my part of the world but definitely an example of some very...polarizing reactions!

There's also the Kids React to Food series on YouTube, which once in a while shows foreign food like escargot, caviar, etc. The kids' reactions are pretty funny.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I live in Maryland, and we eat blue crabs like its our job. Back in the burger flipping days I had a co-worker that had just moved here from the mid-west. We had a crab feast one summer as a big company get together, and said co-worker looked at his first crab, poked it with a fork, then tried to saw it in half with his butter knife before someone else showed him how to pull it apart. It was hilarious, lol.

Off topic, when I saw the thread title the image of a xenomorph biting someones head off was the first thing I thought of, lol
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I have heard there are some funny reactions to Vegemite. Not my part of the world but definitely an example of some very...polarizing reactions!

I grew up with the stuff thanks to my dad's tour as an exchange officer with the Royal Australian Navy. I show it to my college roommates and they go, WTF?

'Course, these are the same guys for whom I made Indian curry and they thought it was really spicy after I had considerably reduced from my customary amount. :D Seriously, I couldn't even notice the capsaicin anymore.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I lived in 3 countries on two continents. I don't think much can surprise me if it comes to food. ;) I'm more often surprised that this or that nation doesn't eat something, and considers it inedible.