test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Random Star Trek calcs

guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
For no particular reason, have some calculations from Star Trek.

-Star Trek, episode 3x17, "That Which Survives"
The Enterprise is able to travel 1000 light years in about 12 hours at "warp 8.4," which is apparently slightly above her maximum rated speed, making her maximum safe cruising velocity roughly 730,000c.

-Star Trek, episode 3x09, "The Tholian Web"
A Tholian vessel begins at "range, 200 thousand kilometers, velocity 0.51c." Roughly 22 seconds later with no scene changes, "they've stopped dead [...] range 90 thousand kilometers and holding," implying a minimum acceleration of roughly

450,000m/s^2 if calculating by displacement and time, with an actual relative starting velocity of 0.033c, not 0.51c
6,950,000m/s^2 if calculating by change in velocity over time, with an actual distance traveled of 1.7 million kilometers, not 110 thousand.

If one is to take the scene at face value, rather than taking the obvious interpretation that the scriptwriters were just directed to "use big numbers, Star Trek ships are hella fast!" and didn't bother doing any math, the only realistic explanation is that Sulu doesn't mean the speed of light when he refers to c in this scene.

MY SCIENTIFIC CONCLUSIONS

On the basis of this rigorous mathematical analysis, I deduce that Star Trek ships are hella fast, and use big numbers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this the point where someone points out that line in a TOS episode that basically wrecks the whole premise of VOY?
    yjIzVE9.png
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All Star Trek ships travel at Speed of Plot.

And yes, if some of the speeds out there were used, Voyager could have made it back in about a week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    in that time i am surprised they didn't use "lightyear" as a measurement of time...
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "TOS", "facts", and "continuity" don't go together at all.
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "The Definitive Voyager torpedo inventory log"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

Enjoy. :D
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the Voyager supply issues are why Ron Moore stopped working with Berman & Braga - he kept track of all the torps and shuttles they went through, then wrote an episode about dealing with the shortages, and was told, "We don't worry about that - this is Star Trek."

That's one reason why so many eps of BSG dealt with shortages in the fleet...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    That's one reason why so many eps of BSG dealt with shortages in the fleet...

To be fair, Moore didn't write himself into a corner in BSG like with Voyager. Each shortage, while important to the plot, was always left fairly vague. If memory serves, only the water and tilium shortages where ever truly quantified with "we have X days of Y left".

Furthermore, when said shortage was resolved, it was still left pretty vague as to how much of whatever was attained.
  • Options
    guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "TOS", "facts", and "continuity" don't go together at all.

I think you mean "Star Trek," not "TOS," there ;)
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My favorite part of Voyager....we are low on energy, and we must conserve every bit .....now to the Holodeck.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    on Voyager as long as they has energy the Replicators can replace shuttles and Torps.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    on Voyager as long as they has energy the Replicators can replace shuttles and Torps.

You can't replicate antimatter. In addition, it's strongly implied that multiple starship components are either too complex to be replicated, or constructed from materials that cannot be replicated.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Voyager had the resources of the Entire Federation, since they kept breaking ground in new technologies the Federation could not get working.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this the point where someone points out that line in a TOS episode that basically wrecks the whole premise of VOY?

Kind of, however I don't think TOS had a consistently held speed limit for the Enterprise. In one episode, they were taken over by the Kelvans who wanted to take the Enterprise to the Andromeda galaxy. According to Kirk, a trip of such magnitude would take them thousands of years. If warp 8.4 allowed FTL travel at about 1000ly in 12 hours, or double that per day, then it wouldn't take that long. Which means the episode 'That Which Survives' is inconsistent with TOS as it is with the rest of the ST shows.

When TNG came out they decided to do a couple things: make the speeds more consistent, and also rework the warp scale to prevent what had happened in TOS, which had increasing escalation of warp speeds for cheesy dramatic effect (which may have been a dig at 'That Which Survives' - as a plot development in that episode resulted in the Enterprise travelling at warp 14 at one point, which we had been told many times previously was impossible for the Enterprise to achieve). In TNG warp 10 became the ceiling for the revised warp factor scale.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yay, math!

For my money, the most hilarious warp speed inconsistency occurs in the ENT pilot "Broken Bow" in which Warp 4.5 is somehow slower than Warp 4.4.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon