test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FOTF Foundry issues (the Authors list) dev's need to investigate

badbotlimitbadbotlimit Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 175 Cryptic Developer
Hey Gang,
I have been looking at the forums over the past few days and have seen a number of issues being mentioned about changes to various assets, functions and features in the editor that have had a negative impact on your quests.

I would like to get a sense of the magnitude of the issues by offering this space for you to tell me and the Foundry team what may have broken or changed to the point that it broke your quest.

I will define broken as any change or difference in your quest pre and post Fury of the Feywild that you didn't expect.
This can be costumes that changed, encounters that look or act differently, missing or changed assets and more.

Here are some issues I gathered from the forums
  • xlarge forest looping is covered in trees
  • dialogue limits changed without notice
  • new clipping planes on the pirate ships
  • Spider costumes changed and they all get super small when killed
  • Contact titles (at the top of the ui) no longer show up
  • Mossy rock textures not showing up in the 3D edit more
  • Asset Change: pretty orange flowers on all the vine assets
  • Asset Change: green grass turned brown
  • Drop downs are not working
  • Blonde has changed to dark hair
  • Asset Change: Purple glowing mushroom is now blue
  • Invisible walls (and sometimes assets) do not lose collision when one selects/ hovers over

I will be investigating the issues you post first thing Monday morning.
We appreciate your hard work and understand your frustration. I am asking for your help because no-one knows your quests and the Foundry better than you.
Any help in identifying these issues is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey Badbot.

This is a very minor issue, but you asked...

I use lots of signs/gravestones in my quests (set as Contacts). When reading these, the one-line title no longer appears at the top of the pop-up.
    The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
    Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
    Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I apologize for the lack of content, but... again, thank you very much for staying on top of this.

Most of us can completely understand how massively complex this system and how easily things can go pear-shaped. All we ask is for this kind of communication, and it's quite welcome.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Robobo,

A few issues I found when new patches hit are mostly graphical, examples are:

* Mossy rock textures not showing up in the 3D edit more
    * Large number of artwork for the assets have been revised. (whilst some of them are welcome changes others completely destroy the mood and feeling of quest environments. example is my Ravenloft graveyard is now covered head to toe with pretty orange flowers because all the vine assets had them added, also all of the lush green grass is now brownish it looks awful. :( )
    * And of course the teleporter issues which you guys are already working on.

Just a few suggestions, I understand it's a pain for the artists to go back through zones and repopulate assets when there is an art change, but Authors suffer from those changes.
    May I suggest duplicating the asset and keeping both art styles, that way we can at least go in and change any unwanted art to the old style we had to keep the mood?
    Also free fly mode should have clip/ no-clip toggle so were not getting stuck every where while flying around, I have had cases where I was stuck under a water plane and unable to get out while free flying. ^.^

Cheers man and thank you for being so responsive, I can tell you guys care. Now, Apoc demands foundry group content!! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My biggest problem with the Foundry right now is that the UI changes mean that I can no longer change combat mode without going into edit mode first, which presents obvious problems. As of right now I have to fight "fair" or Alt out of combat occasionally to do a full heal, which is impractical. Trying to use the dropdown menu for combat modes without entering edit mode first will instantly close the dropdown. I can understand this limitation for camera modes, but changing the combat modes should be possible at all times while in the Foundry preview.

I would say this is an important issue that affects every author. If there's a workaround, please let me know.
  • Options
    saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Asset - There used to be a glowing, jungle mushroom that was purple. It is now blue. (It was also the only purple mushroom.)

Costume - I've yet been able to check for myself, but I have heard that costumes with blond hair now all have black hair.

New assets - There are a few spelling errors in the new assets.
    New assets - The dynamic light crystals could use a better name.
    New assets - The dynamic light crystals are a lot more bright than one would expect based on the crystals that come as default lighting on certain settings in cave rooms.

Free cam - There seems to be a roof on certain outdoor maps of 170, where assets and tps can reach higher. I'm afraid I only heard about this, so can not provide more information.
    Free cam - It may just be me, but the speed with which one moves in this mode is unhandy, especially in small spaces. It is too fast.

Collision/ edit - Invisible walls (and sometimes assets) do not lose collision when one selects/ hovers over.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    saerrael wrote: »
    Costume - I've yet been able to check for myself, but I have heard that costumes with blond hair now all have black hair.

One of the primary NPCs in my campaign has blond hair, and he was still looking correct when I tested yesterday. Didn't notice anything else wrong with other NPCs either, though I don't remember the color of their hair for the most part.
  • Options
    badbotlimitbadbotlimit Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 175 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    ... If there's a workaround, please let me know.

Hit Esc to get access to the drops downs
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    One of the primary NPCs in my campaign has blond hair, and he was still looking correct when I tested yesterday. Didn't notice anything else wrong with other NPCs either, though I don't remember the color of their hair for the most part.

Thank you, Tilt!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hit Esc to get access to the drops downs

Thanks! I'll give that a try... when the Foundry is back up. ;)
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Green torches are showing up as yellow instead of green, at least when placed in the same area. One or more may be green, but the others will be yellow.

Human houses are duplicating themselves when crossing the mouse over them while in 3D mode. (Not selecting them, just looking around and the cursor passes over them.)

Edit: Not sure if they were dynamic or static torches, as now i'm thinking i may have switched them to static.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am asking for your help because no-one knows your quests and the Foundry better than you.
    Any help in identifying these issues is greatly appreciated.

If only we were able to import our quests from live into NeverwinterPreview -- perhaps a great deal more of us would have gone onto NeverwinterPreview to at least validate our existing quests. I think then nearly all of these issues would have been brought up weeks and weeks ago. It's also kind of difficult to "guess" at which assets may or may not have changed and I'm sure we all don't want to be browsing thru and "trying" every asset we "think" we might have used in one of our quests.

Doesn't even have to be import/export -- import from live into previewer would be an immense help.
  • Options
    forumrichardforumrichard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    To start I am new to editing.. I have one published quest and still tinkering with it until I am happy. But I have a suggestion, or lack of skill one.

When in edit mode and placing rocks and floor tiles I fall through them to my death.

While this could be ignorance on my part being new, couldn't there be a way to ignore or lock an item so this doesn’t happen?
    eldarth wrote: »
    If only we were able to import our quests from live into NeverwinterPreview

LOVE it!!
  • Options
    moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    To start I am new to editing.. I have one published quest and still tinkering with it until I am happy. But I have a suggestion, or lack of skill one.

When in edit mode and placing rocks and floor tiles I fall through them to my death.

While this could be ignorance on my part being new, couldn't there be a way to ignore or lock an item so this doesn’t happen?

This is happening because you targeted what ever rock you're standing on.

To prevent falling through to your death you can either do all your placements while in free cam mode, or you can just avoid targeting the object you're standing on.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    If only we were able to import our quests from live into NeverwinterPreview -- perhaps a great deal more of us would have gone onto NeverwinterPreview to at least validate our existing quests. I think then nearly all of these issues would have been brought up weeks and weeks ago. It's also kind of difficult to "guess" at which assets may or may not have changed and I'm sure we all don't want to be browsing thru and "trying" every asset we "think" we might have used in one of our quests.

Doesn't even have to be import/export -- import from live into previewer would be an immense help.

I second this suggestion. It would be extremely helpful so we can help squash any bugs before they go live.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Free cam - There seems to be a roof on certain outdoor maps of 170, where assets and tps can reach higher. I'm afraid I only heard about this, so can not provide more information.

Verified.

Tested on the preview shard.
    Divided "Detail Extra Large" stock map has a roof around Y 170 -ish which was not there before. (Basing this on the fact there was an Author building on this map over this roof's ceiling Y with no problem before the patch.
    Moonchipz could not recreate the exact workings of this obstruction as described by said Author, but did find it and tested it. The full stream on this can be found when one follows the below link.
    Passing the barrier was possible with some puzzling, creative placement of assets and TPs.

http://www.twitch.tv/katscratchhc/b/451382710
    (I've also been instructed to tell to skip the first 3 minutes. Unedited stream.)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You'll have to fast-forward in parts of that broadcast as there are segments where nothing happens while we were trying to figure this bug out. Also notice the mouse cursor problem I was frequently having. Really annoying. And the GWF unending combat bug is still there. :(
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It may be handy to add that his was tested on the preview shard *facepalms and goes to edit once again*
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, since I was the one that brought it up, and it most definitely affects me directly, I'll weigh in on the dialogue limits issue.

I can't speak for how many people this affects - My guess is not too many. Not that many people write quests with more than 550 dialogue nodes. But some of us do - Story-heavy quests, puzzle-type quests, non-combat quests.. and for those that do, this was kind of a kick in the .. quests, as it were. We put as much effort into tuning our dialogue as the combat-orientated guys do into tuning their encounters. ( And they get 500 mobs per map, not across the entire quest! ;) )

My first quest comes in at 800 nodes, and my 2nd was looking to be more, since I had all the same NPCs as before plus I was adding a 2nd female romanceable NPC and that usually adds at least another 100 nodes spread across 3 or 4 conversations. (The BioWare-style NPC interaction is what eats up the dialogue for me. I find it extremely poor writing to start a romance, or even be friends after exchanging maybe two dozen words with an NPC. It takes longer than that to get to know someone.)

I'm wondering why the change was made, since text is generally pretty small, and if it's going to be permanent, and if so, whether we could put some kind of display in the toolset that shows us how many nodes each conversation is using and how many nodes in total we've used.

I think that if the limits are sticking around, at the very least, that display needs to happen. Everything else with a budget has an indicator showing you how close you are to getting to the budget. If dialogue is also going to be budgeted going forwards, we need the same indicator.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrthebozermrthebozer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey badbot, thanks for putting this here! I found a few issues with my own quests, but did not report them directly since only one is game-breaking, and I've seen it mentioned elsewhere already. But, by your definition of broken, I have a few to add to your list:

1 (the game breaking one) The alignment on various teleporters have changed, causing one in my own quest (an invisible-click teleporter) that previously had no problems to teleport players into a nearby wall, something straight through it, at which point they fall to their death.

2. Also a teleporter issue - the "ladders into the ceiling" teleporter has flipped vertically, making it a ladder into the floor.

3. A cat NPC that previously mewwed and purred now roars like a lion.

4. The water plane - clean set, at least in 3d edit mode, is now invisible, save for a spotlight of reflection directly in front of the player. I cannot speak for how it behaves in a live quest.

Thanks again for all your help on these, and other, issues.
    c447.png
  • Options
    handzenhandzen Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    help I can not use the foundry at all I get a message Foundry editing not allowed help?!
    NW-DDMJD8HFR
    NW-DLXRPHAI4
    NW-DLWWS6WE5
    NW-DBYXMD7VM
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've found twice that 3D editing leaves a "ghost" of the item I've moved. The "ghost" item remains in the same place. If I go out to the Foundry editor and then come back in the ghosts are gone.

-In my published quest the black cat is also roaring like a lion. Obviously he has visions of grandeur.
    -Have there been some battle cries added to mobs? I use Blue Fire Cultists as my base mob and now they are yelling things that don't make any sense in the costumes I use for them.
    -I second that the flowers on the vines look out of place in my foundry, but that isn't really a bug. Are there "flowerless" vines?

That was as far as I could get since my teleporter is currently in the floor and out of sight.

Sounds like you've had a long weekend, thanks for looking into these.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    elfwadelfwad Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Many of the cave asset textures are now much lower resolution than they used to be. The amount of reduction seems to vary. Cave Hallway - Corner shows heavy pixelation on the base floor layer, for example, whereas Cave Rocks - Boulder 02 shows only moderate pixelation.
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I can confirm that on the Blackdagger West map. I have a building with a tower built into it (lighthouse detail), and on top of the tower are a couple of other details. The building itself is on a hill. I can't even fly up to the normal building rooftop, much less to the top of the tower.
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Background to my question (most of you already know about this issue):
    Teleporters have always had problems. When I have a teleporter pair, placed close together, and then I move one part of the pair a few hundred feet away horizontally, the other part of the pair moves vertically a good 10-15 feet without its official "y-value" changing. In addition, "y-values" are not consistent. On the quest I'm working on now, I have a two-story building, with a teleporter on the first floor and one on the second floor, going to different locations. They are maybe 40' apart vertically, 60' apart horizontally... and their y-relative-to-zero values are about 400 apart.

My question:
    When the teleporters get fixed, are they going to be returned to their original wonky functionality, or are they going to really be fixed? Because as much as I would like the numbers to make logical sense, if it's really fixed rather than just returned to how it was before, every quest with teleporters is going to break until the authors re-place every teleporter.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Issue with the green colored floor torches on live. In the game now (A Diversion Below is the foundry), they sometimes show the wrong color. And sometimes change color when you get close to them.

0ge4.jpg

And then when I get closer:

weg6.jpg

Notice the one on the far right changed from green to red/orange. Also they were ALL green to begin with.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I believe there were trees added to the snowmap that I use in easy Quest 2 and Christmas in August. It wasn't game breaking for me as I just had to move a few things. If it reverts, no bid deal. It's the small trees embedded in the big tree. (There were more)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/Treescreenshot_2013-08-24-20-21-57_zps0f5604e9.jpg

I had a patrol change in Knottlewood. Without going into the foundry I don't have specific info. But one out of 20 ish patrols, one now walks over an object / runs into an object that she was never near before. She is a guard encounter.
    Terrible picture:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/screenshot_2013-08-25-14-36-20_zps12aafc63.jpg

A Giant in my A Haunted House is supposed to be behind a wall as shown here:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/Giantbeforeerror_screenshot_2013-08-24-01-01-47_zps97de0194.jpg
    But he now is outside the invisible wall and on the bridge (facing the wall is he supposed to be behind)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/Giant_Gone_Astray_screenshot_2013-08-24-00-54-33_zps769b8c31.jpg

An invisible wall in Harvest Fayre has moved about 8-10 feet back. It used to be here in this bush.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/Before_screenshot_2013-08-25-22-10-43_zps467c6953.jpg
    Now it's up here:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/after_screenshot_2013-08-25-22-11-11_zpsfb49bfd1.jpg

This next one might not be foundry related? Not sure. Running Izatar's Cloak Tower, Cult of the Dragon, parts of the (floor) map would go invisible.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/Floorscreenshot_2013-08-25-16-04-54_zpsb7e428e9.jpg

A friends RP house never got republished. Maybe this is a known error. @ancientuncle and it's his only quest.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The stern portion of the wrecked airship(detail)... all of a sudden someone decided they wanted to remove collision along the hull and then block the stairs going to the second deck with an invisible wall? Who thought that was a good idea? Why?

I'm a bit curious about how that, and some of these other bugs came to be.
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    crok2 wrote: »
    I believe there were trees added to the snowmap that I use in easy Quest 2 and Christmas in August. It wasn't game breaking for me as I just had to move a few things. If it reverts, no bid deal. It's the small trees embedded in the big tree. (There were more)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/Treescreenshot_2013-08-24-20-21-57_zps0f5604e9.jpg

I had a patrol change in Knottlewood. Without going into the foundry I don't have specific info. But one out of 20 ish patrols, one now walks over an object / runs into an object that she was never near before. She is a guard encounter.
    Terrible picture:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/screenshot_2013-08-25-14-36-20_zps12aafc63.jpg

A Giant in my A Haunted House is supposed to be behind a wall as shown here:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/Giantbeforeerror_screenshot_2013-08-24-01-01-47_zps97de0194.jpg
    But he now is outside the invisible wall and on the bridge (facing the wall is he supposed to be behind)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/Giant_Gone_Astray_screenshot_2013-08-24-00-54-33_zps769b8c31.jpg

An invisible wall in Harvest Fayre has moved about 8-10 feet back.

This next one might not be foundry related? Not sure. Running Izatar's Cloak Tower, Cult of the Dragon, parts of the (floor) map would go invisible.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Ferrydust/Floorscreenshot_2013-08-25-16-04-54_zpsb7e428e9.jpg

I must say, your character looks mighty awkward on that horse. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    I must say, your character looks mighty awkward on that horse. :P

She is still learning how to ride :D
  • Options
    cmgeloneckcmgeloneck Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I understand the foundry is down, but I do have a quick request for you to address if you're going to be working on the foundry later today... We're in the feywild... why can't we create fairy npcs yet?