test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question: Naming Conventions

hutchthegreathutchthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
A quick question that may/may not have been answered already, though I can't seem to find anything on the topic. So I apologize if this question has been asked/answered already.

How do naming conventions work in NWO? Do you have a first name and a last name, or just a first name, similar to how most MMOs handle the naming of characters? If you can have a first name and a last name, can you have the same first name as someone else (i.e. Rick) but a different last name (i.e. Astley as compared to Grimes), and visa versa?

Also. Does a name have to be unique to the entire game, and not just a single shard of the game? I know PWE/Cryptic are talking about merging all the shards together at some point, and creating one giant shard. That's the main reason I'm asking this question.
Post edited by hutchthegreat on

Comments

• Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    In NWO you can place spaces in your name as long as it don't go over the name character limit (not sure on punctuation marks didn't test).
    Your charater is always refereed to by there full name that is Rick Quickfoot will be called Rick Quickfoot in the chat channel etc.
    Everyone one in game can make a Rick Quickfoot if they wish as the full in game identifier is charname@accounthandle.
    When mailing stuff you need to use the @accounthandle to send mail to them, this is for whole account and is the in game method to transfer items between our characters.
    If you use Charname@accounthandle the mail goes to that one character on that account.
  • Options
    hutchthegreathutchthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kotli wrote: »
    In NWO you can place spaces in your name as long as it don't go over the name character limit (not sure on punctuation marks didn't test).
    Your charater is always refereed to by there full name that is Rick Quickfoot will be called Rick Quickfoot in the chat channel etc.
    Everyone one in game can make a Rick Quickfoot if they wish as the full in game identifier is charname@accounthandle.
    When mailing stuff you need to use the @accounthandle to send mail to them, this is for whole account and is the in game method to transfer items between our characters.
    If you use Charname@accounthandle the mail goes to that one character on that account.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the information.

I find it pretty weird that there can be more than one person with the exact same name, like Rick Quickfoot, though. That's rather immersion breaking, but that's a cop-out complaint, I suppose.
  • Options
    berserkerkitten8berserkerkitten8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I find it pretty weird that there can be more than one person with the exact same name, like Rick Quickfoot, though. That's rather immersion breaking, but that's a cop-out complaint, I suppose.

Brace yourself for legions of Drizzts, Sephiroths and countless rogues named Reaper, Ripper, Raven, Shadow, Death and/or a combination of all of them! :D
    They're not called respect tokens...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Brace yourself for legions of Drizzts, Sephiroths and countless rogues named Reaper, Ripper, Raven, Shadow, Death and/or a combination of all of them! :D

I guess the bright side to the whole situation is that we most likely won't see people with names like "xxSepirothzzzZzzzXx" because there's no need, because more than one person can have the same name.
  • Options
    berserkerkitten8berserkerkitten8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I guess the bright side to the whole situation is that we most likely won't see people with names like "xxSepirothzzzZzzzXx" because there's no need, because more than one person can have the same name.

Hahaha yeah! :D
    Though I'd bet any amount of money we're still gonna see a whole lot of "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" guys, as well as people adding "LOL" to their names. The joys of playing an MMO.
  • Options
    erideitaerideita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 304
    edited April 2013

Totally seeing this kind of names happening, because those who name their characters like that likely don't know names don't have to be unique.
  • Options
    martianmanrapermartianmanraper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited April 2013
    I'm already bracing myself for all the tieflings named freaking Nightcrawler and the Drow with pathetic excuses for book references. ::sighs::
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Tyler Do'Urden of the guild Fight Club :D
  • Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Jimbo Lolpawner of the guild Beep Beep Im a Jeep.

J/k
  • Options
    rustplayerrustplayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited April 2013
    erideita wrote: »
    Totally seeing this kind of names happening, because those who name their characters like that likely don't know names don't have to be unique.

I may get tempted to copy one of those names just for the lulz of it ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Millimeter Peter and Jebediah Monstercock.
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am pretty glad that we can have any name really. All in all I would rather more people enjoy their characters in the way they want than just one.
  • Options
    darkstarmjpdarkstarmjp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it's cool we can have the same name after all there's millions with the same name irl
  • Options
    leillannaleillanna Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First rule of Fight Club Do'urden.....there is no...Do'urden...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Eilistraee zhal zuch tlu wun ussta xukuth.
  • Options
    misterfrenchiemisterfrenchie Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    can your own characters have the same name? i did not test it during beta
    Want to join a great gaming community? Check us out at www.grievanceguild.com
  • Options
    silentiltmsilentiltm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 234 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    argantis wrote: »
    I am pretty glad that we can have any name really. All in all I would rather more people enjoy their characters in the way they want than just one.

Yes I cant wait to see YoloSwag360noscope69 running around in game
  • Options
    skullklovnskullklovn Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can't wait to see people like Immaturekidforlife96, angerissuesYOLO and Dicktwentyforseven running around.
  • Options
    taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    I apologize if this has been explained, but I did not see it...

When I created my PWE account I had to create a username (which was instructed to not provide to anyone), a forum name, and email address. Is one of these the "account handle" that would appear at the end of the character name (i.e. Bob@accounthandle) or is it another name that I have not created yet?

PS and OT: When do I get to create threads? I created a new account yesterdary because I was under the impression that my forum name would be my account handle and for some reason my original account was using my Twitter account name as the forum name. Since creating the new account, I don't have the option to create threads, only reply.
  • Options
    valgavantevalgavante Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
    edited April 2013

*light* O_O....call me ShadowDrizzt DeathReaper from the House RavenRipper *_* and my mighty companion will be Sephiroth *_*
    65752563.jpg77219287.jpg
  • Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

I could accept those but odds are we will be seeing Igankudie, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, Chuck Norris, Lolumad, Barack Obama, etc.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm already bracing myself for all the tieflings named freaking Nightcrawler and the Drow with pathetic excuses for book references. ::sighs::

This is why we hide nametags.
    chomag wrote: »
    I could accept those but odds are we will be seeing Igankudie, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, Chuck Norris, Lolumad, Barack Obama, etc.

You forgot

Osama Bling Bling, Madebritneygag, and didurmom
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A bunch of us should make characters named Anonymous... Just kidding of course. It'd be funny but it would drive me insane to have that as a name.
  • Options
    dec0ydeaditedec0ydeadite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

ROFL

if the max allotted characters that were in beta2/3/4 are still allowed in OB i'm going to have the same obnoxious name i had as before, and i'll be sporting a drow as main even if i end up hating it haha.
    those dam_ HOTN players ruin everything.
    STRUGGLING? uMAD? QQ? NEED A GUIDE? GET SPOON FED HERE! NOMNOMNOM
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013

Is it really immersion-breaking that two people in the world can be named John Smith? 'cause that seems kinda, you know, COMMON to me. :)
  • Options
    elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    well, in the real world you don't have your name floating above your head so you wouldn't even notice...
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i really would wish they would implement rp naming restrictions...wouldnt hurt anyone, not one player wouldnt play because of that...
  • Options
    yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    As if you need to see what their name is before dismissing Drows and Teiflings as immature children. ;)
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i really would wish they would implement rp naming restrictions...wouldnt hurt anyone, not one player wouldnt play because of that...
    Don't tell me how to play and I won't tell you how to play.
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    Don't tell me how to play boy and I won't tell you how to play.

Your play is annoying to other people, so you're **** right I'm gonna tell you how to play and you're free to hell me how to play if I offend you. This isn't a single player game where you're free to name your character however you want and do whatever you want.
  • Options
    shieldwardenshieldwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Are apostrophes allowed? Like names that have an apostrophe as a separation?
    "Living on the surface has been a strange adjustment for me. It's brighter, the colors are more varied and, well...
    less people are trying to kill me."