test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Undermountain Update

What in Holy Hell is going on? Just got the new PS4 update and it SUCKS! This new system is completely BullS#@T! Why do they insist on making changes nobody wants that continues to ruin the game? First the random dungeon/skirmish B/S, then the AD limit and the change to the professions and now this?! Enough is enough already!

Comments

• Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Look on the bright side ... what you got is not nearly as bad as what the PC players got, which quite frankly was just not ready
    for release.

Anyhow....here is what I think:

The good
    • The campaign. The new areas look great, and the storyline is fine. OK, maybe some bits and pieces are slightly silly, like the sandcastle-building Kuo-Toa and the Sword+Dragon combination, but overall the new campaign is enjoyable and well done. Sure, there are bugs and issues here and there, but those can get fixed - the campaign design is solid.
    • ID scroll removal. The ID scrolls were just an annoyance - I am glad to see them gone.
    • Enchant exchange. With all the changes most players will have to change their builds - they may find out they have too much of one rating and too little of another. Being able to swap enchants and obsolete insignia solves that problem really nicely.
    • The ward use cap. No risk of needing 10 wards on a 50% chance. Great.
    • Companion changes (companion active powers and decoupling gear from companions)
    • Discouragement of bad practices. Things like "standing in the red" or rushing ahead of the group are now actively punished. You have to learn to play.
    • The stats/counterstats. The implementation is not perfect, but the basic idea is good, and should help with the long-term viability of the game - it is easy to add new areas with even higher rating requirements provided by new ranks of gear.
    The mixed
    • The new level cap. Going from 70 to 80 had to happen at some point, and it opens up progression, but at the same time it makes a ton of gear obsolete. Blue level 72-73 random drops outperform BiS level 70 gear, but that is simply the nature of games of this kind.
    • The game is harder - partly due to the removal of lifesteal. That is a good thing...it brings back a sorely-needed challenge for well-geared players. At the same time, the game may have become annoyingly hard for less-geared players, who might have to grind or spend money to get back to actually being able to handle content they could manage before.
    • The "1DPS+4Buffers" meta-group is effectively dead. Group content is intended to need a healer now (In some cases it doesn't, but that is partly a tuning issue). Some people may enjoy that - there are people that want to play healers and have been annoyed by the fact that they are not needed. Others liked being in a more generic buff/support sole and may not like the restrictive choices now open to them.
    • Companions now take only companion-specific gear. That's logical, really. However, many players are now stuck with rings they previously used on companions and those rings are now essentially useless.
    The bad
    • Character creation is being dumbed down. Initial primary stats (STR/DEX/etc) now depend only on your class (modified by racial bonuses and later choices). We lose our ability to customize characters and gain nothing.
    • The bonuses from primary stats are the same for all classes.. The is fine for some classes, but not others - the highest stats may give bonuses that are just inappropriate for that class.
    • The bonuses from the primary stats are so bad that it really does not matter what they are (which somewhat invalidates the previous complaint).
    • The boons have been dumbed down too. No more hard choices to make. No chances to customize characters based on playstyle.
    • Feats used to be meaningful, and have an impact, but the current arrangement of 5 pairs is just bad. There is just no logic to the feats for many classes - and sometimes you have to choose between two good or two really bad ones.
    • Professions are practically useless for now. There is not a single Masterwork item worth making. Crafters can make +1 Armor kits (for the new level 80 armors players are getting) or healing potions, but that's about it. There may be new recipes in Mod 17, but for now crafting is effectively dead. I would have liked to see something like craftable BiS shirts/pants or (better yet), craftable Masterwork companion gear.
    • Healers are effectively required, but no real attention is given to them. None of the new weapons, artifacts or artifact gear seem to be designed to benefit healers - they all seem designed for DPSers or Tanks. Forcing players into one of three rigid roles and then ignoring one of the roles like this is not fair.
    So, yes...there are issues, but it's not all bad. You are overreacting.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    wesker#3763 wesker Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    > @adinosii said:
    > Look on the bright side ... what you got is not nearly as bad as what the PC players got, which quite frankly was just not ready
    > for release.
    >
    > Anyhow....here is what I think:
    >
    > The good
    > * The campaign. The new areas look great, and the storyline is fine. OK, maybe some bits and pieces are slightly silly, like the sandcastle-building Kuo-Toa and the Sword+Dragon combination, but overall the new campaign is enjoyable and well done. Sure, there are bugs and issues here and there, but those can get fixed - the campaign design is solid.
    >
    > * ID scroll removal. The ID scrolls were just an annoyance - I am glad to see them gone.
    >
    > * Enchant exchange. With all the changes most players will have to change their builds - they may find out they have too much of one rating and too little of another. Being able to swap enchants and obsolete insignia solves that problem really nicely.
    >
    > * The ward use cap. No risk of needing 10 wards on a 50% chance. Great.
    >
    > * Companion changes (companion active powers and decoupling gear from companions)
    >
    > * Discouragement of bad practices. Things like "standing in the red" or rushing ahead of the group are now actively punished. You have to learn to play.
    >
    > * The stats/counterstats. The implementation is not perfect, but the basic idea is good, and should help with the long-term viability of the game - it is easy to add new areas with even higher rating requirements provided by new ranks of gear.
    >
    >
    > The mixed
    > * The new level cap. Going from 70 to 80 had to happen at some point, and it opens up progression, but at the same time it makes a ton of gear obsolete. Blue level 72-73 random drops outperform BiS level 70 gear, but that is simply the nature of games of this kind.
    >
    > * The game is harder - partly due to the removal of lifesteal. That is a good thing...it brings back a sorely-needed challenge for well-geared players. At the same time, the game may have become annoyingly hard for less-geared players, who might have to grind or spend money to get back to actually being able to handle content they could manage before.
    >
    > * The "1DPS+4Buffers" meta-group is effectively dead. Group content is intended to need a healer now (In some cases it doesn't, but that is partly a tuning issue). Some people may enjoy that - there are people that want to play healers and have been annoyed by the fact that they are not needed. Others liked being in a more generic buff/support sole and may not like the restrictive choices now open to them.
    >
    > * Companions now take only companion-specific gear. That's logical, really. However, many players are now stuck with rings they previously used on companions and those rings are now essentially useless.
    >
    >
    > The bad
    > * Character creation is being dumbed down. Initial primary stats (STR/DEX/etc) now depend only on your class (modified by racial bonuses and later choices). We lose our ability to customize characters and gain nothing.
    >
    > * The bonuses from primary stats are the same for all classes.. The is fine for some classes, but not others - the highest stats may give bonuses that are just inappropriate for that class.
    >
    > * The bonuses from the primary stats are so bad that it really does not matter what they are (which somewhat invalidates the previous complaint).
    >
    > * The boons have been dumbed down too. No more hard choices to make. No chances to customize characters based on playstyle.
    >
    > * Feats used to be meaningful, and have an impact, but the current arrangement of 5 pairs is just bad. There is just no logic to the feats for many classes - and sometimes you have to choose between two good or two really bad ones.
    >
    > * Professions are practically useless for now. There is not a single Masterwork item worth making. Crafters can make +1 Armor kits (for the new level 80 armors players are getting) or healing potions, but that's about it. There may be new recipes in Mod 17, but for now crafting is effectively dead. I would have liked to see something like craftable BiS shirts/pants or (better yet), craftable Masterwork companion gear.
    >
    > * Healers are effectively required, but no real attention is given to them. None of the new weapons, artifacts or artifact gear seem to be designed to benefit healers - they all seem designed for DPSers or Tanks. Forcing players into one of three rigid roles and then ignoring one of the roles like this is not fair.
    >
    >
    > So, yes...there are issues, but it's not all bad. You are overreacting.

Ok, I never actually played the game last night so I can't say I agree or disagree with most of your points. I was so pissed off about the character/companion <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that I just shut it off.

I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years and have 9 characters, 8 of which are level 70. (The 9th was made for a failed experiment that I just decided to keep.) I had them all exactly how I wanted them as far as powers, feats and whatever boons I had unlocked. Also had my companions geared the way I wanted. All that was left was to get the enhancements to level them up (something I could do for all of them at once before but have had to do each individually for awhile now) and they were done, so you can imagine why I got so mad when the "powers that be" essentially said "screw you, it was all for nothing because we're taking it all away and replacing it something ridiculous.) Now I have to go through and redo all of them and deal with all the stuff in my giant overflow bags. I consider it a slap in the face honestly.

Like I said, I haven't actually played yet. Maybe it's not as bad as I think. Time will tell.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    The update isn't the end of the game but it is a big change.

What the update did is introduce a wave of new bugs/issues without really solving the old bugs/issues that were present in the game.

Companions Bugs / Issues: Not all companions bonus feature / stats are working as expected. For instance the Tamed Raptor companion bonus provides the full group buff bonus all the time, even when you are not in a group. There are other that are suppose to provide bonus damage after a specific criteria is met and yet many of those companions don't work.

Action Points: This is a HAMSTER show; Quick action from mount doesn't work, AP gain from at least the Wizard class is not working, etc...

Recovery Speed: Some of these bonus work and others are not working.

The other issue I see with this update is that combat is really slow after the encounters go on cool down. Once you don't have an encounter to use you have to spam your at wills. With the better encounters having 20 second cool down and many having around 15 seconds it becomes very common to spend time using your at wills which have a very low damage value. The other issue I see with this is that this mod increased the respawn time for adds meaning you may get another set of adds right after clearing the set you just fought. I fought 5 sets before I got annoyed and moved them to where I know no adds respawned and cleared them out. I than noticed another set was already there. With adds respawning so fast and our damage being lower, low cool down on encounters and very low damage for at wills this makes some areas a pain in the butt to clear.

My biggest issue with this update is the combat. I can deal with complexity being reduced, changes to companions (once all companions are fixed), higher level to reach, scaling, etc... Combat is slow, boring and tedious. I actually fell asleep on one of the missions do to the number of adds I had to clear to achieve the objective and I never ever have fallen asleep playing any video game ever; this was a first. I was neither tired or sleepy; it just this game combat is that boring.

After playing and going through the game for a while as an end game player I can state this; NWO is no longer a MMO. RPGMMO are designed with players having synergy between classes/roles and allow teams to use that synergy to quickly kill adds. The current design is simple to the point that this game is not a MMO; it is more inline with a loot shooter where you have one role for threat management (tank), one for health regeneration or buffs (healer / support) and than the other roles are pure damage dealers.

The higher use of at wills align NWO more with loot shooters than a RPGMMO. The low gain on action points also aligns with those high damaging abilities found in loot shooters and the high cool down of our encounters also align more as a loot shooter.

I than jumped on Anthem last night to compare a true action packed loot shooter to NWO. I picked the Storm which is similar to a Wizard. To put simply, Anthem does a better job with creating a RPGMMO and it is a loot shooter not a RPGMMO. That is something Cryptic should consider going forward in that NWO is an inferior RPGMMO and cannot even compare to a loot shooter such as Anthem for combat orcomplexity of character builds.

Since NWO sells itself as an action MMO it needs to improve the flow of combat. I remember @noworries#8859 asked the question about would you want lower damage if encounters got lower cool downs; my response is yes do this to improve combat flow. I would lower encounter damage by 33% and lower the cool downs of all encounters by 33% as well. Please lower cool downs on encounters.

As for character build complexity; please find a way to give us a bit of something to improve character build complexity. Right now the game current state most of the feats are either not working resulting in the other always being picked or both feats are worthless. Also, limitation of 5 feats total with only being able to pick from 2 is also very limiting in complexity and build. I also dislike that feats don't start until level 40. IMO we should get 1 feat at the start of level 1, one at level 10, and than every 10 levels there after. We would have 9 total feats. I would also make it so that we either got 3 feats to pick from or 2 with any we did not pick being available to pick from at the next feat selection.

With all the new bugs introduced causing many things not to be working as intended and with slower less engaging combat this game is going to suffer player loss on PS4. I sat in PE and for every 1 nice things someone wrote about the mod, there were at minimum 5 players complaining if not more.

You brought players in for Alpha Testing and I know more than one of those players said mod 16 should not happen unless ABCDEFG was fixed and those items were and still are not fixed/updated. As a company you didn't learn from the mistake of mod 6 and once again even with feedback of players in your hand you move forward with mod 16. Yes it is in a better place on console but it is still an inferior product that feels like it is in alpha testing and not a final product.

As someone who bought well into NWO over the last three years I'm not buying anything any more. You loss my support with this mod.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Ok, I never actually played the game last night so I can't say I agree or disagree with most of your points. I was so pissed off about the character/companion HAMSTER that I just shut it off.

Well, try it....and keep this in mind:

You may have been using three pieces of "normal" gear on your companions. Those have now been moved to your inventory and are essentially useless. Unless they have some special bonuses, just convert them to RP. You will get replacement companion-specific gear in the campaign anyhow.

Your old companion gear used enchantments....that's now sitting in your inventory. Use them, sell them or use the exchange vendor to convert to runestones. Empowered runestones for offensive slots are the "safest" option.

The playstyle changed for all classes - in some cases it changed very dramatically - in other cases you just have to switch out some powers and continue to play like you used to. Expect to spend several hours per class, just learning to play it all over again.

Finally, read this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11ykL0hTzPr3eywNIG3fU3SNb1gchFJolrlnKIml7GaQ/edit?usp=sharing
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    adinosii said:

Ok, I never actually played the game last night so I can't say I agree or disagree with most of your points. I was so pissed off about the character/companion HAMSTER that I just shut it off.

Well, try it....and keep this in mind:

You may have been using three pieces of "normal" gear on your companions. Those have now been moved to your inventory and are essentially useless. Unless they have some special bonuses, just convert them to RP. You will get replacement companion-specific gear in the campaign anyhow.

Your old companion gear used enchantments....that's now sitting in your inventory. Use them, sell them or use the exchange vendor to convert to runestones. Empowered runestones for offensive slots are the "safest" option.

The playstyle changed for all classes - in some cases it changed very dramatically - in other cases you just have to switch out some powers and continue to play like you used to. Expect to spend several hours per class, just learning to play it all over again.

Finally, read this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11ykL0hTzPr3eywNIG3fU3SNb1gchFJolrlnKIml7GaQ/edit?usp=sharing
    Clerics had one of the biggest class mechanic changes and it is why my cleric was killed off. The fighter also got some adjustments and I didn't like either. Out of the three characters I played the wizard was the closest to how it played in prior mod and even that class doesn't feel all that great; in fact I rather go play a Storm in Anthem even with almost no one now playing Anthem it feels more like a wizard than a Wizard does in NWO. NWO bastardize their player base with this update and like I already stated they introduce a wave of new bugs without every solving the older bugs. I'm sitting at mid high 70's with my wizard but I don't think I can get him to 80 as the combat is really bad to the point that I fell asleep clearing adds; that has never happened in any video game I played and if you ever played Dragon Age Inquisition you would know that there are points in that game that can be tedious and boring; well NWO made combat even more boring and tedious than the boring parts of Dragon Age Inquisition and I didn't think that was possible.

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    its a matter of personal question to be honest.. this is the direction they chose to take it, many of us have moved on, so its really up to this date whether you want to stay or go play another game.

To me, alot of the instrinsic fun I had with the game is gone, and while many of us asked for adjustments, we didnt know they were going to filter it so far down to the shell it is is.

Not saying its all bad, but its not good enough to stay anymore.. as soon as I tested the changes way back at the start of the year.. I stopped giving them money.

I cant for a second believe they made anything on this update.. but in fact do believe they are loosing money quarter to quarter at least for awhile.. some people will check in back in mod 17.. not sure I will bother or not.

The game I really loved, was probably pre mod 10.. and while some of the newer updates were actually fun to me.. there still was too much grind involved anyways.

I dont know.. whatever. I had many years of playing the game.. eventually you have to leave them all.

• Options
    Thanks to all for your input. I have now, in their original names, Great Weapons Fighter, Trickster Rouge, Scourge Warlock, Control Wizard and Hunter Ranger. My plan going forward was to try each one to see how they were affected, once I clean the now useless HAMSTER out of my inventory, and decide if I'm playing from there. I have a lot of hours invested and some money, although I haven't given them a penny since the kindergarten style of "Punish everyone for the sins of the few" HAMSTER instituted to deal with AD to Zen conversion abuse so I'm not just going to up and quit. Like I said, time will tell.
  • Options
    niceduck#2839 niceduck Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    I have my Rogue (old TR) and my arbiter (old DODC) at level80 and IL around 21k. Playing rogue is just like it used to be, except encounters takes double time to come back and you barely can have 2 dailies within one fight. On the otherhand, Arbiter is killer, she out performs my rogue 100-0, even the whole playstyle changed.

Change was good, IL scaling sucks (makes about anything outside undermountain unplayable), but you cannot win everytime.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    😃 Hi from PC land, mod16 was a bit of a game-changer, good luck to you all. All I can say is, hang on to your old gear.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    juan#5043 juan Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Well I've been playing neverwinter for 3 years on PS4, with a guardian fighter and I like the changes, you only need adaptation and knowledge of your character, the fighter like dps is brutal, the bugs are butter, and, for the moment, no boss has given me too much work, and I'm still at level 74, maybe, to put a snag, the worst is the limitation of offensive slots in the companion, but for the moment I'm delighted with everything, and the best thing is that I have not found no speculator in dungeons waiting for the rest of the group to do the job ...
  • Options
    Ok, here's my update. Played as my Guardian Figher, Trickster Rogue, Scourge Warlock and Control Wizard. (F' the new names, even G.F. was really the only one affected.) My hatred was justified. My G.F. was my strongest character and, for the most part, still is. My S.W. was second but was on his way to taking over first. Now he's a pansy a## bi#@*. Rogue is close to what she was but Wizard is significantly weaker. Plus they took the attacks I used and split them between paths. Most likely not going to to touch this for a long time and focus on other games I have like Vampyr and Elder Scrolls. A buddy of mine is straight deleting the game from his system, but I'm not going that far, at least not yet. Hopefully enough people will stop playing that they'll get the message that they F'd up but, based on their history, I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    dukeguard#8158 dukeguard Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    When are we getting comp gear from master expeditions? It's live on PC is it not?
  • Options
    arkai#8115 arkai Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    Prob is up i read on last pc patch note
  • Options
    dukeguard#8158 dukeguard Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    When is it going to be on consoles then?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Misread something. Just ignore this.