test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dread Ring Weekly Suggestion

kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
Currently, the Dread Ring weekly is pretty straight forward: Kill 3 Red Wizards of any type, anywhere in the Ring, then return to Knox and collect your bounty. Awesome, yay simplicity! There are two big problem with this task though, and both stem from the same root issue. The first area, where the Evokers are, is the closest and easiest location to kill 3 wizards and there are 7 wizards in that area, making it the main location people go to do the weekly. Here's the problems:
  1. Players just starting the Dread Ring also have to kill 3 Evokers to collect their whatchamahoozit (this is also a daily quest as well).
  2. Players end up competiting with each other, and in some cases arguing over killing the Evokers (in part because it's possible to kill-steal since not everyone that hits a wizard gets credit for it's kill.
So, the result is, if you try and start Dread Ring for the first time early in the week when most people are running weeklies, you could end up being very frustrated and since DR is an early campaign, it could easily leave a bad taste in new player's mouths. Also, for people just trying to knock out weeklies fast, it's can be aggravating when someone steals your kill or you can't find a wizard there.

Right now, the simplest solution when there are no Evokers is to just go to another location and hope that's not farmed out too, but that doesn't solve the new player quest issue.

So, my suggestion is to slightly change the quest so the weekly doesn't interfere with the DR dailies, and mitigates the problem of one location being all out of wizards:

Change the quest so that instead of needing to kill three of any one type of wizard, players instead must kill one of each type. That will mean a little bit of extra running around that isn't always needed now, but not a lot, and it will almost guarantee that when we get to an area, at least one wizard will still be knocking around for us to kill off.

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    No, thank you. For the people like me who does that when nobody is around (usually, the end of the week) is the extra effort that does not provide extra joy. I do that for 6 character and 80% of the time, the area has no player.

By the way, there are 8 wizards in the area.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User

No, thank you. For the people like me who does that when nobody is around (usually, the end of the week) is the extra effort that does not provide extra joy. I do that for 6 character and 80% of the time, the area has no player.

By the way, there are 8 wizards in the area.

I do it on 22 toons throughout the week.... sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow... this would speed up the slow ones and slow down the fast ones for sure.

(yes, 8 - I forgot about the guy at the cliff)
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    There are 2 wizards in Dread Spire and 1 each on Death Forge and Phantasmal Fortress. Kill 1 or 2 on the way or do it over several days and complete the weekly with private instances.

As for the intro quest, do you mean ritual components to summon the named Shock Troop? Those drop from any wizard as well. If they were actually tied to a type it would be conjurers in the Path of Torment.

I have run the intro quests a lot lately, and my plan is always to start in the quarry since you can get the wizards there and collect token shards and ritual components at the same time. I can knock out the quest there and summon the devil and kill it on the way the Arsenal. But if there are no wizards left in the Quarry, iy is a short trip to the Underwing and people only farm there when the quests run for it.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    I do it on 17 characters every week and I am with @plasticbat on this one. There's no need to make this or any change to the weekly quest at all. Experienced players know to change instances. Even a new player should know to change instances by the time they're running the Dread Ring. However, if they don't know, then they'll choose to explore more of the Dread Ring and will quickly enough come across a Red Wizard who either has not recently been killed or has recently re-spawned.

My personal approach to this problem is to kill wizards that are not in the area where other quests being handed out that day are not taking players. This means I visit DR a couple of times a week, pick up some quests, and then run them on a later day. This does mean that some of the time I'm running to Underwing to kill wizards. However, it also means that I don't have traipse all over the entire map to do the weekly. I'd rather just have to run to Underwing (or wherever), kill wizards, do the quests I have in that area, and be done.
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I think many pro players piggy back the weekly with a DR lair. PF is the best one to do as it is the fastest and easiest and there are two wizards right outside it. The rewards are pretty decent. SES drop rate is about 20-25%. The drop rate of GMOP/SMOP with the best glove is lower, but still pretty decent.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    If you do any DR daily quest, you don't need to hunt wizard in that area at all (unless your quest happens to be there). At least, I never needed to when I did DR daily quests. I don't do DR daily quest anymore. I only do DR weekly AD quest. There are 8 wizards in that area. It needs at least 3 players who are hunting for wizards in that area to wipe them all out. As I said, most of the time, I am the only one hunting wizard in that area.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    Whenever I'm in the initial area, I tend to have to hunt wizards - but only if the daily quests are also in that area. If they are not, then it's 1-2-3-done.