test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon mobs Damage Resistance

michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
edited September 2018 in Guides
MOBS CLASSIFICATION

Sources:
arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/comment/4383827?sso=eyJuYW1lIjoiIiwicGhvdG91cmwiOiIiLCJjbGllbnRfaWQiOiIxNDQzOTY4OTgxIn0%3D+7f0aa453097de73de898063d693d63dc2cddab3c+1480749529+hmacsha1
spatialfrustration.com/EncounterMatrix/index.php

You can classify each mob into a difficulty category and a role category. The first one depends on the number of health bars:

Minion: 3
Standard: 5
Elite: 9
Solo: 13
Boss: 17 (but you usually see them with 20)

In open world they have less bars. For example minions have 1, standards 3 etc. Some summoned mobs also have less health bars.
The role category divides mobs into:

Brute
Skirmisher
Artillery
Controller

DAMAGE RESISTANCE COMBINATIONS

For each level, mobs have a base Damage Resistance, which is then modified according to their difficulty and role categories. This was explained by @two30 (big thanks to him!) in this comment, which provided the groundwork for my classification:

From my (very old) testing:
Minion brutes set the standard.
Skirmishers have 90% of Brutes' DR.
Artillery have 80% of Brutes' DR.
Controllers have 70% of Brutes' DR.
"Standards" have 9/8 of Minions' DR.
Elites have 10/8 of Minion's DR.
Solos have 11/8 of Minion's DR.

In other words, these are all the DR modifiers:

This the base DR for each level. I could easily derive it thanks to a table published by a player (I can’t link the original source). It’s interesting to note that the theoretical DR cap would be 72% for level 74 monsters and 84% for level 75.

Putting all together, this is how you calculate the DR of an enemy:
(base DR) * (difficulty modifier) * (role modifier)
For example, let’s take a level 70 standard skirmisher. His Damage Resistance will be:
24 * 9/8 * 0,9 = 24,3%

These are the DR combinations for level 70/71 mobs:

And for level 73 mobs:

LIST OF DUNGEON MOBS DAMAGE RESISTANCE

These numbers were taken manually during solo runs. @thefabricant helped me testing FBI.
Bear Rider in Kessell’s Retreat has a permanent buff that likely increases his DR and can be penetrated.

Moderator fixed image links.
Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Nice!

(one more thing to add to the "stuff that Michela did that I have to keep mentioning for accurate information").

• tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    Really great work! :)
  • chemodan007chemodan007 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Thank you! Great work!

Someone knows the maximum value of ArP mobs/bosses?
    Post edited by chemodan007 on
    Drider
  • fogcrowfogcrow Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    this is...most surprising: iirc even before CN was readded to the game, most dps guides agreed on that a player needs 40% resistance ignored for single player stuff, and 60% for dungeon bosses... looks like it were pretty far off unless there was a change since... And I actually belived the DR of the enemies was higher still, because debuffs from powers and weapon enchantments, that claim to reduce DR, are so popular, and claimed to actually increase the damage of parties, where all dps players already had 60%+ resistance ignored. Can debuffs lower an enemies DR below zero(all or some)? (I don´t have the tools to prove it one way or the other)

Also does anyone know the DR values for Tiamat, epic Demo and epic Storvald?

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    fogcrow said:

this is...most surprising: iirc even before CN was readded to the game, most dps guides agreed on that a player needs 40% resistance ignored for single player stuff, and 60% for dungeon bosses... looks like it were pretty far off unless there was a change since... And I actually belived the DR of the enemies was higher still, because debuffs from powers and weapon enchantments, that claim to reduce DR, are so popular, and claimed to actually increase the damage of parties, where all dps players already had 60%+ resistance ignored. Can debuffs lower an enemies DR below zero(all or some)? (I don´t have the tools to prove it one way or the other)

Also does anyone know the DR values for Tiamat, epic Demo and epic Storvald?

Don't know the DR for Tiamart, Svard, or Demogorgon.

But the term "DR debuff" does NOT mean the same as "reducing the Resistance Ignored value needed to do full damage".

the only debuffs in the game which do that are Bear your Sins and Vanguard's Banner.

pfeh... @michela123, I can't be bothered to explain the debuff formula as well as you can... (perhaps create a guide for it?)

• chemodan007chemodan007 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    fogcrow said:

Can debuffs lower an enemies DR below zero(all or some)?

DR debuffs can do it. Down to -100% DR.
    Formula of DR debuffs:
    ResultDR = StartDR - ArP - SummDRdebuffs .
    ResultDR >= -100% .

Formula "Incoming damage":
    IncomingDamage = (1 - ResultDR)*OutgoingDamage.

Example1.
    Mob have 60% DR. Player have 30% ArP. And some debuff1=10%, debuff2=30%.
    ResultDR = 60% - 30% - (10%+30%) = -10%. (is -0.10)
    Player Outgoing damage is 3000, then
    IncomingDamage = (1 - (-0.1))*3000 = 3300.
    The log will 3300(3000).

Example2.
    Mob have 60% DR. Player have 50% ArP. And some debuff1=30%, debuff2=40%, debuff3=50%, debuff4=35%.
    ResultDR = 60% - 50% - (30%+40%+50%+35%) = |cap is -100%| = -100%. (is -1.00)
    IncomingDamage = (1 - (-1))*3000 = 6000.
    The log will 6000(3000).

There is another type debuffs. Don't know how it's called in English. Let it be IncomingDamageDebuff (IDD).
    Then
    IncomingDamage = (1 - ResultDR)*(1+IDD)*OutgoingDamage.
    Drider
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Is bronzewood consider as DR debuff or defense debuff? Does it include in the 100% cap?
  • fogcrow said:

Can debuffs lower an enemies DR below zero(all or some)?

DR debuffs can do it. Down to -100% DR.
    Formula of DR debuffs:
    ResultDR = StartDR - ArP - SummDRdebuffs .
    ResultDR >= -100% .

Formula "Incoming damage":
    IncomingDamage = (1 - ResultDR)*OutgoingDamage.

Example1.
    Mob have 60% DR. Player have 30% ArP. And some debuff1=10%, debuff2=30%.
    ResultDR = 60% - 30% - (10%+30%) = -10%. (is -0.10)
    IncomingDamage = (1 - (-0.1))*3000 = 3300.
    The log will 3300(3000).

Example2.
    Mob have 60% DR. Player have 50% ArP. And some debuff1=30%, debuff2=40%, debuff3=50%, debuff4=35%.
    ResultDR = 60% - 50% - (30%+40%+50%+35%) = |cap is -100%| = -100%. (is -1.00)
    IncomingDamage = (1 - (-1))*3000 = 6000.
    The log will 6000(3000).

There is another type debuffs. Don't know how it's called in English. Let it be IncomingDamageDebuff (IDD).
    Then
    IncomingDamage = (1 - ResultDR)*(1+IDD)*OutgoingDamage.
    @chemodan007 in English it called Defense Debuff.
    Just another hour to go.
  • michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    @fogcrow In module 6, 60% RI was required for dragon runs and (afaik) Tiamat. Dragon runs were very popular at that time. 40% helped when questing in Well of Dragon and Icewind Dale, since they have level 73 mobs.

@kangkeok Bronzewood is capped.
  • fogcrowfogcrow Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Thank you all, this has been most illuminating^^
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User

@fogcrow In module 6, 60% RI was required for dragon runs and (afaik) Tiamat. Dragon runs were very popular at that time. 40% helped when questing in Well of Dragon and Icewind Dale, since they have level 73 mobs.

@kangkeok Bronzewood is capped.

Thanks.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Great work :)
    Post edited by thefabricant on