test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The best companion after bonding rework ?

tranceformationtranceformation Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User
Hi there i would like to ask my fellow Gwfs what is going to be the best companion to use when the bonding stone rework comes. I was thinking the Fire Archon may be worth a look with its 3 offense slots very good active bonus and it as got 2 ring slots and tailsman slot so i can slot the adorable bites. I would like to here what you guys have got planned for your companion setup when the change hits to bonding stones in a week our so ? .

Comments

• Options
    rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    I'm most likely going to swtich to my Fire Archon. When picking a companion, a GWF (at least ones who follow my build or something similiar) should keep in mind they want a companion that:

- Has a very low cooldown (given Protector's Camaraderie, it still needs to stack and you want something fast to proc it).
    - Possibly ranged since you're a melee and you want something that'll start attacking before you even get to the mob yourself, or just as you get there.
    - Has a good active bonus
    - 3 offense slots

I'm waiting for the new GWF pack companion to make a final decision however, see if the marks are consistent and if it stacks with my own.
  • Options
    rinat114 said:

I'm most likely going to swtich to my Fire Archon. When picking a companion, a GWF (at least ones who follow my build or something similiar) should keep in mind they want a companion that:

- Has a very low cooldown (given Protector's Camaraderie, it still needs to stack and you want something fast to proc it).
    - Possibly ranged since you're a melee and you want something that'll start attacking before you even get to the mob yourself, or just as you get there.
    - 3 offense slots

I'm waiting for the new GWF pack companion to make a final decision however, see if the marks are consistent and if it stacks with my own.

Thank you for you input lia I think i am going to stick with the fire Archon as i have brought the adorable bites 2 rings and tailsman which as cost me a lot of ad but i am hoping the new companion out the GWF pack will have 3 offense slots and at best 2 rings slots our 1 tailsman and and a ring slot for my bites gear coz that mark would be insane if it stacks with my mark of daring shout with powerful challange but that would be wishfull thinking ;)
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    on the other hand, if the gwf companion gives a mark worth 20% that does not stack with DS then we could just use the boar and make a permanent switch to battle fury :D
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    kevros62kevros62 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    I take it the warlock is on her way out for some reason. would someone please explain why.
  • Options
    scathias said:

on the other hand, if the gwf companion gives a mark worth 20% that does not stack with DS then we could just use the boar and make a permanent switch to battle fury :D

Wishful thinking, I have a feeling the mark is either not going to stack or just going to be veeeeeeeerrrrrrrry slow, it is a Boar after all ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    kevros62 said:

I take it the warlock is on her way out for some reason. would someone please explain why.

The warlock is still a really good companion to use but people are switching coz of the change on how bonding stones are going to work

from patch notes
    For example, if a summoned companion has two Bonding Runestones (Rank 12, 95% each) equipped, the related buff now gives the player 190% of the summoned companion's current stats.
    This effect no longer stacks. This gives the effect a maximum of 285% of the summoned companion's current stats (with three R12s equipped).

Which means we dont really need to have fast attacking companions anymore and the warlock is a fast stacking companion but its active bonus is stats and there is better companions out there that have got way better actives like the

- Fire Archon
    - Air Archon
    - Young yet
    - Dancing blade

And so on to many to list :smiley:

And just take into account what lia said

- 3 offense slots
  • Options
    ok I get it then. you know this is becoming a bad habit from them just as I am about to get some were and be come somewhat competitive they go and move the bar on me. again and again :/ lol
  • Options
    kevros62 said:

ok I get it then. you know this is becoming a bad habit from them just as I am about to get some were and be come somewhat competitive they go and move the bar on me. again and again :/ lol

Thats how they make there money dude
  • Options
    Until you are max geared I highly doubt you will notice a difference between 3x offense (fire archon etc) and 2x offense and a defense (warlock). the difference is like what, 840 power vs 840 defense at r12? so, yes, 3x offense is better, but having a warlock is better than having nothing IMO. So don't sweat it. put it on a list of things to change and tune up later
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    scathias said:

Until you are max geared I highly doubt you will notice a difference between 3x offense (fire archon etc) and 2x offense and a defense (warlock). the difference is like what, 840 power vs 840 defense at r12? so, yes, 3x offense is better, but having a warlock is better than having nothing IMO. So don't sweat it. put it on a list of things to change and tune up later

It's 2520 power and you're giving up a good active bonus.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    urabask said:

scathias said:

You are correct. I forgot about the bonding effect for some reason.

To math it out though, 840 power x 285% = 2394. As a GWF though you were getting 20% of your defense as power so you also lose (2394 defense * 20%) = 479 power. So as a gwf your total gain from switching from a defense slot to a offense slot is 1951 power assuming you have r12 bondings.

So yeah, switching to a 3x offense slot is probably well worth it. Personally, I don't use the fire archon anymore since I think a earth archon is better as a bonus. and then a blink dog as my summoned pet
  • Options
    how well dose the blink dog do on proc of the protectors as far as speed that one ol boy is right the fire archon is slow compaired to my zw
  • Options
    Anything will be slow compared to your Warlock. 2s CD vs. 0s CD - you'll feel the difference. The problem with the Archon is that it has a "backing away" animation before it starts attacking, yet I like a ranged companion better than a melee (if only for the time it takes the melee companion to get to the mobs and they die easier). The Archon isn't bad at all, I spent a while on preview yesterday, I can't come up with a better choice for now that won't be a downgrade.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    scathias said:

urabask said:

scathias said:

You are correct. I forgot about the bonding effect for some reason.

To math it out though, 840 power x 285% = 2394. As a GWF though you were getting 20% of your defense as power so you also lose (2394 defense * 20%) = 479 power. So as a gwf your total gain from switching from a defense slot to a offense slot is 1951 power assuming you have r12 bondings.

So yeah, switching to a 3x offense slot is probably well worth it. Personally, I don't use the fire archon anymore since I think a earth archon is better as a bonus. and then a blink dog as my summoned pet
    You're forgetting about the 15% legendary bonus.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    squibosquibo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 23 Arc User
    Im using Fire Archon on live, i think ranged companion will be best for me, was using Paranoid but need to bell it all the time and guessing will do it with any melee companion, also good Active bonus 2 rings, 1 talisman, 3 offence its great so far :)
    Jamaica
  • Options
    toten#3498 toten Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Honey badger?