test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Previously on Neverwinter

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
These great lands have been through some rough times as of late. With your help, Neverwinter has been saved from several world-ending events.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9778013

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• aleblainaleblain Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Hi Strum and the other guys! To resume PvE players thoughts, would be something like:
    We WANT DUNGEONS!!, we want a lot of dungeons in a D&D game, like in the old days. We want ALL old dungeons in both normal an EPIC versions (with the bunch of old transmutable items with unique looks) and we want NEW dungeons! That's it!, simple and plain... nothing to spin around! Starting with that idea, begin to build up great content.

P/D: It's time to forget about out fashioned CTAs and realase all skirmishes in Epic versions.

Thanks for reading. I hope you apreciate this plural observation shared by all and okk, good luck Nw staff! Peace and adventures for all! B-)
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    You forgot the time that Neverwinter was overrun by cats, and our brave adventurers had to travel back in time to save it.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
    Yes... but can Neverwinter be saved from the pending release of Mod 9... and the lackluster dungeons it is bringing with it?
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • mutjinninjamutjinninja Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    The game world is bleak. The endgame is ash and grind. Bots assault the passerby with wails of "1 MILLION AD 10.80$". Veterans collect their keys and log out while they skirt around new 70's who grovel for gmops. Shadows drift across the land and the Gray Wolf Den collects dust. However, there are bastions of hope left. In the heart of every veteran, there lies a secret hope: CN and the Old Dungeons. It's whispered that, if they were to return, life would grow anew. That people might deign to run something other than Lostmauth's lair. And suddenly...

The sun breaks through the dark, foreboding clouds. The hopeful few remaining in the face of the Mod 6 catastrophe raise their eyes to the new dawn. Dungeons. Dungeons are coming! The angels on high trumpet their glorious return. The community's jaded heart cracks, hinting at dormant life within. The godly Devs have answered the players' prayers! Neverwinter's second golden age is here!

But alas...the dawn was fleeting, and the more bitter for it. The gods lied. They deceived. There was no radiant sunrise, but rather a blinding display of hubris. The mighty Castle Never hath fallen. It seems Demogorgon's madness knew no bounds. Before the terrible beast was slain, it twisted the gods into believing the Mod 6 survivors wanted heroic encounters and mindless mechanics in their endgame dungeons. That they wanted...leveling dungeons.

Those that had cast their eyes skyward, looked down in shame; a few fell to their knees. Passionate veterans clutched their chests in agony that the brief moment of hope and optimism had caused. There would be no dawn. Hope, it appears, is a weapon that can wound even deeper than class balancing.​​
  • lldtlldt Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Wow. I had to read that again. Very well written. Bravo.
  • lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    wow, now I want a Mod 6 Survivor title.

Well written
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    If the Foundry wasn't so screwed up, I'd turn that into an adventure. 3k min ilvl required. ;-)

(Assuming that was an option...)
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User

Yes... but can Neverwinter be saved from the pending release of Mod 9... and the lackluster dungeons it is bringing with it?

Dungeons? You call those dungeons? We want EPIC dungeons ... not those!
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • timeforsquishingtimeforsquishing Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 82 Arc User
    Great post.
  • angryantzliveangryantzlive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    well written, captures my feelings exactly
  • wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Spot on. The gods seem to finally have completely lost the touch to the mere mortals.
  • chartos#6469 chartos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    give OP a medal. great post !
  • krymkackrymkac Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    They might be coming but judging by what they did to etos/egwd/ecc and cn on preview it will be just a shadow of former glory. Remember torches riddle, secret rooms with ogre & troll in gwd? Gone. Same as bonus bosses & rooms in etos/ecc. (The best part is y still can find the key for that tunnels in etos). Neverwinter survived Valindra, Tiamat & Demogorgon but can it be saved from laziness & ignorance? Boss to boss corridors aren't dungeons no matter the lvl of mobs/bosses there.
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    How long until "someone" moves this away from public view?
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • peregr1nusperegr1nus Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    "Linu La’neral, seeing the chaos that unfolded after Tiamat’s fall, decides to see if the region could once again use her help."
    Finally a way to get Linus favor?^^
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    morenthar said:

snip

>Cryptic makes Strongholds
    >People complain that it makes smaller guilds unviable
    >Crytpic reduces costs so smaller guilds can have it easier, thus, making them more viable
    >HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly wonder how people like you react to things in real life if this is the way you react to things on the internet.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User

morenthar said:

snip

>Cryptic makes Strongholds
    >People complain that it makes smaller guilds unviable
    >Crytpic reduces costs so smaller guilds can have it easier, thus, making them more viable
    >HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly wonder how people like you react to things in real life if this is the way you react to things on the internet.
    I can understand why some people would be complaining. Maybe if Cryptic had addressed this issue months ago... well we know they are infamous for NOT acting in a timely manner, if at all. I'm sure many small guilds would have liked to go on their own but Cryptic's stupidity and greed forced their hand. I feel for those ones. The mega guilds, not so much - they could afford it.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    arabatur said:

How long until "someone" moves this away from public view?

soon.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Seems legit.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sundering_(event)

edit: collects key, logs out.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    Really? Nothing on Valindra at all?

Doesn't it fit "recently" or is the storyline no longer being intact enough reason to omit the first year of the game? And those days were even the most fun and challenging ones.
  • amafia313amafia313 Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    Excellent post
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    Sometimes it's more wise to bide your time, at least to the extent you can. The SH grind was unsustainable, and sooner or later the devs would have had to reduce the costs.

Back in 2003 I was in the market for buying a house. I had quite a lot saved up, more than enough for a 20% down payment, but prices kept going up and up and up. Friends kept telling me, "you'd better buy now, they'll just keep rising". I disagreed: while housing prices kept climbing, wages were not keeping pace. I stuck to my central belief: an affordable house (one that also lets you save for retirement or unexpected problems), costs 2.5 times your base salary. It was true 50 years ago, it's true now, and it will be true 50 years from now. I told them that housing prices would have to come back down in line with wages sooner or later, because wages just couldn't support those costs.

"Nah, they'll just level off," they said.

They were wrong. I had decided to wait, and it paid off in spades. Now I have a house but no mortgage. The house is completely mine.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    Great job!​​
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    Every Mod since 6 has left me feeling so very disappointed. I loved the old "Temple of Elemental Evil".. it was brutal, but fun. I made the mistake of assuming Mod 6 would be similar, but instead of a rewarding campaign, we got a grindfest, on top of the earlier endgame grindfest..

Strongholds was going to save the game, I just knew it! SH Siege looked promising enough to encourage even non-PvPers to get in on it... not so much. Instead, we got more grind and a completely broken Siege.

Underdark, from the start, honestly just looked cheesy. Yeah, Mantol-Derith is gorgeous, but tiny. I would like to assume that the Beholder and the fish-thing will be able to be reached (and beaten!) in the near future, but based on the meager offerings that we've received in the past, they are just decoration.

Meanwhile, WotC is re-releasing Ravenloft. I was never a fan of the whole vampire thing, and we're getting... not a lot.

It is my hope and wish that our voices will be heard; that we will get more new content, more adventuring (not everyone is interested in fighting wars... some of us are content to explore caves and ruins and forbidden forests). It is my hope and wish that they will see what a game-saving tool the Foundry could be, especially bringing actual "infinite content" to the players... to give them the means of adventuring and exploring in ilvl-appropriate adventures with suitable rewards... an alternative to the grind for gear, RP, AD and SH mimic food.

While yes, I am losing faith, and am planning on exploring elsewhere once my VIP has expired, I still hold onto the hope that the full potential of this game will be realized... and that NW single-handedly raises the bar for every MMORPG out there.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • aleblainaleblain Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 76 Arc User

morenthar said:

Every time they give me a reason to be cautiously optimistic I get disappointed.

Even worse than the dungeon situation is the HAMSTER they pulled on the entire community with SH.

So many people left smaller guilds to band together and progress with SH. Millions upon millions of AD, daily grinding and now they are drastically reducing costs.

It's not that I want small guilds to suffer, I'm outraged with the bait and switch. Utterly deplorable.

Exactly, I was so excited about the back of some of the dungeons and saw it as great news. I even posted the "great news" on a latin Facebook group of about 700 people where I am the only officer still active (since Mod 6) and then the awful truth. Such a dissapointment! MEH MEH MEH!
  • caunsidhcaunsidh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    I'd say they're just displeased with our offerings.
    Therenil - Hunter Ranger, Stormwarden/Trapper
    3.jpg
  • mrjarqomrjarqo Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    meh fix lag or bugs no more s*t ;-(
  • hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    I, for one, am looking forward to these dungeons coming back.

Not everyone is an over-obsessed-epic-geared-player, I want to be able to play in REASONABLE dungeons!

I play Solo, advance slowly, and play the game mostly for the STORY LINE.

So, Thank You to the Devs! Finally something I can enjoy as a solo/casual player :-)
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojydNb3Lrrs

This is how I feel about this game unless they miraculously decide to make those dungeons epic in mod 9 and I am sure I am not the only one.
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    Seems like bait and switch is their Modus Operandi right now.. on xbox they promised them coal wards in the trade bar store and they are not getting them as of this post. They are 'looking in to it.' People bought keys and saved up trade bars but they aren't getting wards.

Here- We thought we were getting dungeons but LOL JK we're just getting leveling dungeons and one epic dungeon that is no where near the superior former dungeon it could have been.

Then- Oh btw.. after you're done pounding your head against a wall- we're going to make it easier to level strongholds... I feel like I need a sh support group after farming for that place.

Even though I still love this game for some reason and I've been dedicated I'm getting burned out. I just want to have fun and be entertained but for some reason the game isn't really making that accessible either.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.