test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone using voice recognition software with the game?

danaswansondanaswanson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
Hello,

I have trouble with my hands, bad arthritis. My hands cramp up after playing for some time. I would like to purchase voice recognition software to help type keys for me while I play. I'm still going to use a keyboard for the most part but if I could pick up items and things like that with a quick voice command it would help me with my hands. It would also be a plus to be able to chat with people in game with this type of software. A friend had recommended a voice recognition software aimed at gamers, it wasn't nearly accurate enough after voice training to be worth using. I can't remember what it was called.

Anyway, just wondering what other users out there have had success with or bad issues with voice recognition software and Neverwinter.

Thanks,

Dana
Nostia
Female Wood Elf Guardian Fighter
Level 70
Item Level 2,700
Neverwinter Email: Nostia@danaswanson

"Winter Is Coming"

Comments

• Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    ...not really answering your question, but one of these gaming keypads (see links) might provide an alternative path to allevieate your problem:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus
    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver
    http://www.zykon.com/k1-gamer-keyboard/ [Unfortunately German version... ...Google force-feeds that unto me :^(]
    http://www.x7.cn/en/product.asp?id=7

I personally like the Zykon best ATM, though it does have some drawbacks (e.g. no "Enter"-key). Also by quite some way the best price!

Razer Tartarus has a few too few keys, the off-the-shelf handrest adjustment stops like 4 sizes below my hand's, which, however, are rather large. Workaround was glueing some foam rubber on the handrest, though this still doesn't add keys. Orbweaver has an even higher pricetag, good as it might be, so I didn't grab it after my less-than-satisfactory experience with the Tart...

A4Tech's K7 G100 is somewhere in the middle.

Putting those babies on a rice cushion to use then at different angles/slants might alleviate cramping (probably not finger joint pain, though), as you're not forced to the ever-same standardized position, and can easily reposition the keypads on your desk - or sofa, armchair, bed, whatnot...

HTH
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    I just use Microsoft's built in Speech Recognition and then I went and downloaded their Windows Speech Recognition Macros tool. Run Speech Recognition first, then load the Macro tool and you can then record hotkey presses to custom voice commands. Granted, I don't use it much in Neverwinter but in Star Trek Online, I use it all the time. It's so fun to actually control my Startship with my voice.... FIRE EVERYTHING!
  • Options
    dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Isnt using 3rd party software's which can give players unfair advantages bannable offense.And you are suggesting it here as a Community Moderator.Keep up the good work please
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Using third party programs to automate gameplay outside of what's normally possible, or using it to "bot" tasks that require no additional input from the users is indeed a violation of the ToS.

Using programs to set different keys to different input methods, assuming they don't supersede normal in-game operation, is fine. A lot of gamers deal with physical handicaps, so software like this is a great way for them to still participate in their favorite hobby.

And specifically to what Zeb wrote, there's a key command in game for "Fire all weapons". Having fun by mapping that key to a voice command isn't cheating. There's no advantage there, and in fact depending on how fast the software is, you might actually be at a disadvantage using a voice command over a key press.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    So how do you seperate one from other.I remember making a mini-program as an autorecorder by music volume(activated when threshold passed and record time and date).It is very possible for someone to create autoclicker with same mentality.Just open a music file and let recorded keystrokes play forever while I listen the same music on the kitchen or bathroom

There is a reason why no extra software allowed on e-sport tournaments.Whatever the content
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    What you described is using a third party program to automate the game. Emulating a key click and automating the game are two different things.

Or are you saying e-sports don't even allow the use of a multi-button mouse? Because those a typical mouse uses a 3rd party program to emulate a key click via a mouse button. By your definition, that would be cheating, correct?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    goldmoon#5670 goldmoon Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I Any addon is ban-able. Use voice recognizing and 'auto' click the key?
    Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2015
    dsn1118 said:

Isnt using 3rd party software's which can give players unfair advantages bannable offense.And you are suggesting it here as a Community Moderator.Keep up the good work please

Any addon is ban-able. Use voice recognizing and 'auto' click the key?

Using Speech Recognition is no different than using a G15 or Razer keyboards, or binding your extra mouse buttons on that fancy Naga Mouse. It's not an "Add-on," it's a core feature of the Windows Operating System. Besides, it's been discussed to no end for years on the STO forums, and even Game Staff said Speech Recognition is fine and also suggested an alternative: Dragon. I even wrote a guide for MSR back in Alpha here in Neverwinter. The only issue, as Game Staff said, would be if one were to write scripts to automate things. Emulating key presses is the same thing millions of mice and keyboards do everyday.

Furthermore, as Zerg said, there's a "Fire All Weapons" keybind in STO. If you really think that there is any difference in saying "Fire All Weapons" and pressing "K" to have the game "Fire All Weapons," then you don't understand the difference between key emulating (fine) and automated scripting (bad).

Lastly, using Speech Recognition puts you at a disadvantage anyway, as there are millisecond delays no matter what Speech Recognition emulation used. An average player using a mouse/keyboard will always be able to emulate key presses faster than an average Speech Recognition user. The only advantage is for the disabled or otherwise physically impaired, for this serves as the tool it is meant for, accessibility.

Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    Key emulating, like Speech Recognition is fine for Neverwinter as long as it's not automated. This is great, especially for players with disabilities or health issues.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options

Key emulating, like Speech Recognition is fine for Neverwinter as long as it's not automated. This is great, especially for players with disabilities or health issues.

Thanks, Andy! I really didn't feel like digging through years-old posts and threads. :)

• Options
    danaswansondanaswanson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    dsn1118 said:

I'm glad you brought this up...

I hope they don't think these tools give a player an unfair advantage unless people use these tools like scripting for bad purposes like AD mining and malicious purposes like that.

I was born with a rare version of muscular dystrophy. Starting at age 8 my hands and feet started to atrophy. As the years have gone on my hands and feet have gotten worse and worse. The muscles and tendons in my feet are now dead and my hands are bad off. My hands appear to be from someones that's Anorexic because there's not much muscle left. I don't want it to sound sad because I've always found tools and techniques to get around my disability like the question on this post.

I don't think people have to worry about using macro keyboards, speech recognition, etc... as long as they use them for things like common sayings, emotes and more depending on the persons disability.

If Stephen Hawking or someone in is position would like to play Neverwinter these people should never be banned for running these types of tools. Who knows maybe Stephen Hawking plays! ;)

Thanks!

Dana
    Nostia
    Female Wood Elf Guardian Fighter
    Level 70
    Item Level 2,700
    Neverwinter Email: Nostia@danaswanson

"Winter Is Coming"