test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

For the Love of Neverwinter!

tuesdayrolld20tuesdayrolld20 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 47 Arc User
Hey all,

I (Marc - @tuesdayrolld20) and Scott from 'Fringe Divison run a weekly podcast about Dungeons & Dragons public play program, with the occaional Neverwinter feature bit.

We have a special feature to present to you this week. Have you ever wondered what the devs of the game do on their off times?

Scott and I interview 3 of the devs who are directly involved with our favourite game.

We interview:

Scott Schicoff – Lead Game Designer
Randy Mosiondz – Senior Game Designer
Sean McCann – Staff Content Designer

We ask them about Neverwinter and what brought them to be designers for fantasy games. The answers they give will surprise you.

Listen HERE and enjoy!
Miri Droverson

Comments

• Options
    patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    *A broken video game
  • Options
    majik518majik518 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    Did you ask them why their business model is to HAMSTER off every legit player possible and make the game have constantly vanishing content?
  • Options
    marc4lifemarc4life Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Why don't you listen to find out? The community can't do all the work for you!
  • Options
    marc4lifemarc4life Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    @jamesems1 I beg to differ. Making games is hard work. I can't do it and I don't own any of your games.
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    I was actually present for this interview, but didn't say a word :D.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Hey guys, don't give em such a hard time. It's kinda interesting in that it puts a face to the people that create the game.

Yes we have issues with how things work but if the game was just rubbish none of us would be discussing it on these forums right?

I totally agree that it would be great to have devs actually discussing things on the forum. I think a big part of what's lacking is communication about what & why things are happening and an acknowledgement in real time that certain things need to be dealt with or are on the calendar.

But these guys have brought out 7 mods in 2 years as well as crossing to XB - that's a big task.

Questions I'd like the devs to answer are:
    • Given the statement that time should equal income (aka gear), how long do they believe it should take a new player to reach BiS?
    • Why do we not see adjustments with skill mechanics happening between mod updates? (small tweaks for balancing)
    • Some skills have separate mechanics for pvp and pve - can this not be broadened? (I'm currently thinking HR permastuns)
    • Is the guild membership cap really a plus or minus? In mod7, guilds have to win to progress (?) so those that wish to win will be highly selective with new members (given they can only have 150 members)
    • Have you considered a GW style Alliance for guilds?
    @tuesdayrolld20 if you get the chance to interview them again this is the kind of Q&A that I'd love to see. You get a lot of steam coming from players but I think a lot of that is down to being out of the loop on fixes/changes. "face time" with the devs is a good thing but whilst knowing what they like to do outside of work makes them more 'human', I think the players would appreciate the 'hot topics' being discussed too.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    armadeonx said:

Hey guys, don't give em such a hard time. It's kinda interesting in that it puts a face to the people that create the game.

Yes we have issues with how things work but if the game was just rubbish none of us would be discussing it on these forums right?

I totally agree that it would be great to have devs actually discussing things on the forum. I think a big part of what's lacking is communication about what & why things are happening and an acknowledgement in real time that certain things need to be dealt with or are on the calendar.

But these guys have brought out 7 mods in 2 years as well as crossing to XB - that's a big task.

Questions I'd like the devs to answer are:

• Given the statement that time should equal income (aka gear), how long do they believe it should take a new player to reach BiS?
    • Why do we not see adjustments with skill mechanics happening between mod updates? (small tweaks for balancing)
    • Some skills have separate mechanics for pvp and pve - can this not be broadened? (I'm currently thinking HR permastuns)
    • Is the guild membership cap really a plus or minus? In mod7, guilds have to win to progress (?) so those that wish to win will be highly selective with new members (given they can only have 150 members)
    • Have you considered a GW style Alliance for guilds?
    @tuesdayrolld20 if you get the chance to interview them again this is the kind of Q&A that I'd love to see. You get a lot of steam coming from players but I think a lot of that is down to being out of the loop on fixes/changes. "face time" with the devs is a good thing but whilst knowing what they like to do outside of work makes them more 'human', I think the players would appreciate the 'hot topics' being discussed too.
    Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated. I had this opportunity presented and did not want to blow it. I thought the aspect of speaking to the devs on a personal level was a good approach. I wanted them to feel welcome. I really also wanted to know things that they did on their personal time. This usually gives people an idea of the person. I honestly just wanted to speak to them. If I get another chance...you never know.

As you said it really does put a face to a name...well in this case a voice. hehe.
    Miri Droverson

• Options
    edited October 2015

I was actually present for this interview, but didn't say a word :D.

Well, well, well, somebody made their stealth check. Thanks for being present anyhow. One of these days....

Hehe.

Miri Droverson

• Options
    destrowoddestrowod Member Posts: 484 Arc User
    Honestly i don't care what the devs do in there personal life at all.... I care only what they do in the game and around it that concern it...

I wish they would explain why they change the AD/Leadership, the removal of content and so on, and i wish they would go back in there decisions and understand that cutting us our revenue will not lead us to buy more zen but for us to simply abandon the game once we are done with achievements and story content.

• Options
    kriptical1kriptical1 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    gicen these guys introduced themselves as the plot drivers and decision makers I can only ask; what the heck are you guys thinking? The cynic in me says that metrics have told you that pvp'ers spend significantly more than pve so as to maximize profits you've changed course...but really...this whole things smacks of fool corporations trying to make numbers for the quarter at the expense of long term gain. The thing is. The game was pretty dang great and it's quite a bummer sitting here watching you chuck the baby out with the bath water. Particularly after finally going over to the PC forum and realizing how depressed they all are over there. It's as if you've learned nothing. Creating a game like this is not a simple task. You must be intelligent people. How is doing the exact same thing, and expecting a different result rational? Possibly there is something I don't understand, if so please enlighten me..because otherwise...
    /facepalm
    Post edited by kriptical1 on
  • Options
    destrowoddestrowod Member Posts: 484 Arc User
    Alleluyah to that !!