test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Make event Auras bind to Account instead of Bind on Pickup

horripilantehorripilante Posts: 323 Arc User
Self explanatory, make em tradable trough the hideout shared bank to pass em to other characters in the account.
I do the event with only some characters and would like to store the auras for my other characters, or ones i have not yet made.

Comments

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Same old song and dance.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I just use the Recog building Halloween vendor and unbind them.
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    Nope don't do this. I like being able to sell the auras I don't want to be able to get stuff I do want.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    While I agree that it'd be nice, the devs don't seem to want to do it this way for some reason. Personally, I think it's easier to just forget about character-bound crap like event auras and emotes.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    for some reason = longevity of content as well as item value. There is literally no upside to doing what the OP is asking for the game.
  • Options
    There are plenty of upsides.

When auras are on sale, I buy ones I don’t need or extras of ones I like.

When events had bind on equip or acct, I bought multiples on the guy I farm with and stored them in bank.(I still have Halloween auras from 3 years ago)

Currently...when I see an aura in the AH I buy it and store it in my bank, doesn’t happen often as they don’t seem to drop much...but I do it.

Why do I do this? Because I want to have them when a design comes to mind. I’m not playing the event less (still need to farm for the tokens)...I’m not paying less....the value of the item is still the same to me

Auras don’t give you any extra boost in the game...they are cosmetic and I do not like adding an aura on someone and realizing it doesn’t work for that look. I’m still running the content....nothing changes on that end. Now I have an aura that is just wasted because the design wasn’t right.

But it does change the creative urge to create and play that toon.
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »
    for some reason = longevity of content as well as item value. There is literally no upside to doing what the OP is asking for the game.
    I figured it might be something like that, however that logic seems flawed. Let me explain why:

1) Events seem to get new things added every time they come around, and multiple-week events have new things drizzled into their shops every week while the event is active. This means the events are relevant not just each time they come around, but over the entire duration they're running for.

2) "Account bound" isn't the same as an "account-wide unlock." If I want 2 characters with the ghostly flame aura, I'd still need to farm out two ghostly flame auras regardless of whether they were account-bound or character-bound. Account-bound items aren't self-replicating.

3) Account-bound items encourage hoarding moreso than character-bound items. Ghostly flames may not fit any character I have right now, but under the account-bound model, I might pick one up just in case I make a suitable character in the future. Under the character-bound model, why should I even bother?​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    1) What you listed is not a flaw of the current system.

2) So you would still need to farm up enough currency on two separate characters. Hence, nothing would actually change with your suggestion... well, other than you being able to use your most powerful toon to farm up your items for all your other characters. The way it is now it motivates people to play different characters, to get the things on those characters. Why would you want to motivate people to play only their one best character?

3) You can do this right now. Make a new character, level them up a bit, do the event enough to get the aura, then just let them sit there until someday you think up a costume and build to go along with it. You can horde as many auras as you like.
  • Options
    1) My point was that events don't need character-bound restriction nonsense to ensure the content stays relevant. Simply adding new stuff to the shops each time an event rolls around ensures relevance.

2) Diminishing returns on currencies as well as dailies already encourages the use of multiple characters. It's a lot more efficient to "divide and conquer" with several different characters than to just use your strongest for everything. Also, not everyone is going to only use their strongest. Sometimes, I look at my list of characters and, "you know, today I feel like playing this one. I played these ones yesterday."

3) That's not a solution really, especially for silver players who aren't exactly swimming in the amount of characters slots LTS players are. Besides, what about someone who doesn't know they want a particular character/theme until the event's long past? How am I supposed to come up with a name for a character I don't even know I want or have a concept for at the time of creation?​​
  • Options
    horripilantehorripilante Posts: 323 Arc User
    I just use the Recog building Halloween vendor and unbind them.

The "Ghostly Faces" aura does not appear in the Account Boxes option on that vendor.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    it's new this year, so that vendor hasn't been updated.
  • Options
    1) Having both mechanisms in place means they don't need to add as much new stuff, and means that what new stuff they add itself benefits from increased value and longevity. Smart.

2) Everybody never does anything, so it's irrelevant if 'not everybody does' something. For years the game has had the problem that people very quickly farm up everything an event has to offer and then interest curves down sharply early in the event, and then stays down the next time the event comes around. I'm guessing you weren't there for that? There need to be mechanisms in place to prevent this, and now there are.

3) What about them? They go ahead and make that character theme and play it, or they don't. if the lack of an aura is stopping them, then they clearly don't care much about playing that theme. If they do then they know when they'll have a chance to get that aura - make the character a week before the next Bloodmoon. It's not a big loss if that person can't play that theme right away, especially given that they can.

As for silvers, I only ever use one character for events right now and I get everything I want, so I'm sure that they with their 2 slot minimum will do fine.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Put me solidly in the group who finds character bound auras a bad decision. I have an LTS, so issues of longevity mean nothing to me since they have been paying me to play for several years now. Account bound is perfectly fine by me. Maybe as a perk for LTSers we should be able to turn in character bound auras for the account bound variety :)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User

wall of text

This needs reformatting if you actually want a dev or others to read it.

If the event store auras were made BoE, and even more so if they were bound to account, they would also cost a lot more of the event currency. And for those who only need a particular item for 1 or 2 chars, this would suck.

If I really want an item for one of my chars then I want to put in the amount of effort commensurate to getting it just for them and not be forced to pay a "flexibility tax" when I won't be using that flexibility.
  • Options
    I would be okay spending more for an aura to be account bound....how about both?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I have an LTS, so issues of longevity mean nothing to me

Longevity of content, not longevity of the game ;)
    If you like getting disinterested in content quickly then that's fine, but just wanted to make sure you knew that's what you were commenting on.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Well, now that this event is over, let's move away from hypothetical nonsense like "my opinion is that character-bound crap gives the content moar longevity because people are going to farm more of them!" and instead, share some actual data for this particular round of Bloodmoon farming:
    • Number of account-wide costume pieces bought: 6
    • Number of devices bought: 3*
    • Number of character-bound auras bought: 0**

* This would've actually been higher, but I got a few of the ones I wanted as drops. yaay!

** Would I have picked up some auras if they were account-bound instead? Absolutely! I had currency left over on several characters and I like to collect things that I might be able to distribute to a future character.

So there you have it, character-bound cosmetic items are clearly encouraging me to run the content more than I would've had they been account-bound, right?

Pre-emptive counter-argument: "But that just means you'll run the content later to get the aura for your future character once it's made!" The answer to that is, "not really, because by then, it's entirely possible I'll end up obtaining a different aura elsewhere that suits the theme better. And no, I'm not not going to waste money unlocking extra aura slots on anyone.​​
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Mine are 0 in each category. What's your point?

Oops, your entire theory based on one person's data just fell apart the moment it became two people ^_^
  • Options
    omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Oops, your entire theory based on one person's data just fell apart the moment it became two people ^_^

How? You merely entered unvalues into the equation, which means that your part of the data is null and void. afterall 1+0 does not equal 0, or 2, or French fries, it's still 1.
  • Options

spinnytop said:

How? You merely entered unvalues into the equation, which means that your part of the data is null and void. afterall 1+0 does not equal 0, or 2, or French fries, it's still 1.
    I laughed :)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited November 2017

spinnytop said:

1/1 = 1

(1+0)/2 = .5
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    Well see the claim was:

( r / c ) < ( r * c )

and part of a data set was provided with assumptions made about the rest of the data set.

a = 5
    s = ?

The assumption was made that a = r / c <= s, and the above claim was based around this assumption. However when the data came in it turns out that s = 0. Since the above claim is dependent on this assumption, and since this assumption turned out completely backwards once the data set was completed then it throws the entire claim into doubt. The original formula is still technically correct, but the supporting assumption is not.

Of course the entire thing forgets to even acknowledge the variable b.

( ( r / c ) < ( r * c ) ) = b

Once you consider b you realize that the initial claim, relative to the desired value of b, is actually backwards in its implications. We want b to be lower, not higher.
  • Options
    omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    Doesn't change the fact
  • Options
    You are correct that 1 + 0 = 1. However when the expected value of a + b was 3, it being 1 is french fries.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Event store devices, costume unlocks, and auras can be drops during the event as well. I found many in the Auction House, and sold many in the Auction House. It is a great alternative to farming on many alts, since Gs can be pooled in an account.

I use that method during every event.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Wouldn't all this mean that they would also had to fix the Aura Storage to actually work Account Wide. As it was meant to be.
    Because all the space in the Hideout Storage is actually being used just for Auras and All The Mods now.
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!