test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why should pvp be dead?

pandoraslockboxpandoraslockbox Posts: 491 Arc User
edited January 2017 in The Hero Games
Just the other day some people got hero games going again. I fought messiah in BASH and some people in stronghold. Why can't you guys queue more often?

Comments

• Options
    zemmaxzemmax Posts: 295 Arc User
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I don't care to fight some crazy pvp build.
  • Options
    I've done it before and it's just not fun to me, I like a game with an even playing field.

For instance (and I'm aware these games are completely different I know )

If I was playin Halo and was a terrible shot, I still had that chance to win with some fluke grenade or some fluke rifle butt to the head.

In PVP, if I walk in with my normal build against some super built pvp build...I'm probably never going to get a kill. Not even a Hail Mary grenade...that just isn't fun to me.

Some people like pvp, and I don't think it should die. It needs to address the issues of why more people who want to pvp don't...I only know why I don't.

Maybe a Pick your AT queue could be fun? Have it random?
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    Why don't people queue hero games?

Simple, between the aloof attitudes of a bulk of the PvP playerbase, the substantial capability difference between PvE and PvP builds and the fact that in PvP you need to bring the highest end gear/devices/mods to stand even half a chance, makes is a big no-no for most people.

in other words, community dominated by select few, with no chance for new people to really "get into" it without getting insta murdered, makes most people take one stab at it and go "ugh.. never doing that again"
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    Aside from the PVP imbalance of builds, the rewards just aren't worth the trouble. More people would at least try to PVP if the Hero Games trade for Acclaim were more useful or enticing. Even if it means only PVP builds would be used.

That said, Zombie Apocalypse is a fun romp that any character can play (It's just that, well, most people would rather do something else that actually nets something you can use or want).
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    notyuu said:

Simple, between the aloof attitudes of a bulk of the PvP playerbase, the substantial capability difference between PvE and PvP builds and the fact that in PvP you need to bring the highest end gear/devices/mods to stand even half a chance, makes is a big no-no for most people.

In other words, 'inaccurate rumors about PvP prevent people from queuing for PvP'.

However, on the original point:
    1. Queued PvP has never been especially popular; only a few percent have ever done so regularly (and even the people who do it don't do it all the time). If you've got a thousand people online and 1% of them queue up, you've got plenty of people for a PvP match; if you've got three hundred people and 1% of them queue up you don't.
    2. The game doesn't have a match-making algorithm that helps produce balanced and interesting matches, and (with the exception of King of the Hill) also doesn't have any auto-balancing mechanism either.
    3. Related to the above, Bash and UTC tend to devolve into 'farm the weakest link', Zombie Apocalypse doesn't work terribly well if the zombie is unusually strong or weak. Stronghold Apocalypse is probably the best for someone casually trying out PvP but needs fixes and rebalancing for modern PC power levels.
    4. Queued PvP really isn't very visible (Alerts, which have these big boxes on your screen, can still have trouble popping at odd hours).
    5. PvP doesn't have any particularly interesting rewards.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I'm too busy running TA, Cosmics, and Q-zone dailies. I don't have time to play grab ****. o3o

Also I tend to play glass cannons in pvp and that's not fun for anyone u3u Remember how IMP used to yell at me cause I would make BASH end in like 2 minutes? If Messiah is still in there then you know that's gonna happen, cause I pissed him off good - he can't help but come after me... and then I sit back and laaaaaaaugh as pvp kills itself with its own ego `D` ...er I mean... get sad because I got killed a bunch o3o that's what I meant!

PS - after reading some of your other responses and how excited and "old luci" you're getting already, I think it's best that pvp stay dead just so we don't have to deal with your emotional explosions on the forums again ^_^ so many banned accounts...
  • Options
    saburfangsaburfang Posts: 121 Arc User
    PeeVeePee is serious bizzness
  • Options
    opalflameopalflame Posts: 207 Arc User
    I usually just queue whenever I notice that other people are queued but it would be nice if it happened more often. PvP really isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.
    Ink@Opalsky in game
  • Options
    eva1988eva1988 Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited January 2017

I've done it before and it's just not fun to me, I like a game with an even playing field.

For instance (and I'm aware these games are completely different I know )

If I was playin Halo and was a terrible shot, I still had that chance to win with some fluke grenade or some fluke rifle butt to the head.

In PVP, if I walk in with my normal build against some super built pvp build...I'm probably never going to get a kill. Not even a Hail Mary grenade...that just isn't fun to me.

Some people like pvp, and I don't think it should die. It needs to address the issues of why more people who want to pvp don't...I only know why I don't.

Maybe a Pick your AT queue could be fun? Have it random?

I believe this to be the main reason the majority do not participate in PVP. I've seen people queue bash for the first time (i assume, as i used to play bash regularly), only to seemingly stand no chance of hurting their opponents, and dying almost instantly; to just then leave and never return.

I also think the draw for a lot of people playing is the "be the hero you want to be" (or whatever that tagline was) aspect. But when you play in PVP it is very difficult to "be the hero you want to be" and perform well when people ignore the tagline, and just "be whatever is most effective"; and i think most who PVP want to feel they stand a some chance, and like it is a fair competition..

Any and all balance seems to have just been left to it's own devices.. I recall when ego storm used to lock people out completely for several seconds basically allowing anyone to kill someone whilst they stood there helplessly, that was left in the game for what seemed like a very, very long time. Actually, PVP as a whole appears to have been outright abandoned, there are still queue bugs in herogames that have been there for what seem like years.

I remember seeing many people on the forums posting stuff against PVPers whenever they'd try and get something changed that basically ruined PVP entirely; people posting "balance is impossible" as if no semblance of balance could ever hope to make the game better, and cryptic seemed to have taken their advice; and now you have a game where the disparity between some builds is beyond belief.

Another important incentive i would say is the reward system. The game doesn't provide alternatives from PVE to earning gear, there is basically no incentive to play PVP to gear up at all.. For someone who only enjoys the PVP aspect of the game, they'll most likely quit rather than participating in the ridiculous PVE grind just to have the best gear for PVP performance.

• Options
    eva1988 said:

I believe this to be the main reason the majority do not participate in PVP. I've seen people queue bash for the first time (i assume, as i used to play bash regularly), only to seemingly stand no chance of hurting their opponents, and dying almost instantly; to just then leave and never return.

This is the case in pvp in a lot of games. You join, you're new so you get your **** kicked. If you stick with it you can be just like the players that blew you up.

See the main problem with BASH is that it's free for all, so you're never going to get that fun balanced fair situation you want. BASH is for people who enjoy unfair pvp, and who thrive in that sort of situation. Can't be thin skinned and hope to have a good time in BASH, no matter how well balanced the game gets.
  • Options
    I've tried queueing it occasionally, just to try it out, but no one ever does, and it's unlikely anyone ever will unless there are some actual rewards.
  • Options
    One could say that is why pvp is dead...people are enjoying the game.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User

Rewards? How about enjoyment of the game? :P

That's why I got other games to play when CO gets Frustrating to a point or nothing happens due to time circumstances, I still enjoy in other ways, also no amount of incentive (Rewards) is going to make it any more fun.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Why pvp should be dead?

Its pretty simple actually, imagine developers being creators of 2 children, one they cared about and gave him all their attention, helping him with his needs and problems and another one was ignored, mocked and laughed at by everyone who knew about his existence, also being left alone with his weak, diseased and rotting body.

Now its quite easy to see which one of them will be slowly dying, dont you think?

The reason is because creators dont care and this is why pvp should be left to die in peace, that's all.
    Post edited by shiningdarkness#2717 on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, nobody cares if they're having fun, they just go where the devs put the rewards! \o/
    https://youtu.be/zL1_v7nv7iE
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    As I freaking live and breathe, this corner of the world still exists.

• Options
    spinnytop said:

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, nobody cares if they're having fun, they just go where the devs put the rewards! \o/
    https://youtu.be/zL1_v7nv7iE
    You laugh, but it's very clearly the truth.
  • Options
    hero games might be getting a reward pass soon, so who knows, maybe some people will suddenly find hero games super fun ~.^
  • Options
    servantrulesservantrules Posts: 312 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

hero games might be getting a reward pass soon, so who knows, maybe some people will suddenly find hero games super fun ~.^

If it at least reduces the people picking fights at Ren Cen for "Me haz better build, ho ho! Git gud!" nonsense, then it would be worth it.
  • Options
    Well actually as history has shown, hero games becoming more popular leads to an increase in dueling activity.
  • Options
    dpglerchdpglerch Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    They are right about the que system for the PvP Arenas in Champions, it has never really been that strong. People use to battle and hold private matches in the Town Center (Where they sent the Christmas tree up and the stage for events). As far as the gear difference and the attitudes and personality conflicts that happen between people being a cause that keeps others from playing or participating in PvP Arena's, they still have PVP fights in the middle of town. I think the main reason that the que system has been hardly used is the fact that is has a long wait and the possibility of an unbalanced team, along with the semi hidden menu system (a lot of the new players don't know how to use it) is what hurt the Arena system the worst.
  • Options
    oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    eva1988 said:

tl:dr

I also think the draw for a lot of people playing is the "be the hero you want to be" (or whatever that tagline was) aspect. But when you play in PVP it is very difficult to "be the hero you want to be" and perform well when people ignore the tagline, and just "be whatever is most effective"; and i think most who PVP want to feel they stand a some chance, and like it is a fair competition..

Any and all balance seems to have just been left to it's own devices.. I recall when ego storm used to lock people out completely for several seconds basically allowing anyone to kill someone whilst they stood there helplessly, that was left in the game for what seemed like a very, very long time. Actually, PVP as a whole appears to have been outright abandoned, there are still queue bugs in herogames that have been there for what seem like years.

I remember seeing many people on the forums posting stuff against PVPers whenever they'd try and get something changed that basically ruined PVP entirely; people posting "balance is impossible" as if no semblance of balance could ever hope to make the game better, and cryptic seemed to have taken their advice; and now you have a game where the disparity between some builds is beyond belief.

Another important incentive i would say is the reward system. The game doesn't provide alternatives from PVE to earning gear, there is basically no incentive to play PVP to gear up at all.. For someone who only enjoys the PVP aspect of the game, they'll most likely quit rather than participating in the ridiculous PVE grind just to have the best gear for PVP performance.
    Well said!
    mrf0rz1 said:

As I freaking live and breathe, this corner of the world still exists.

No it doesn't; *Move along*

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    My Main reason: zero interest in PvP.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited February 2017

in pvp if u walk in with a crap build ull get clapp'd in like 2.8 seconds.

Yes, the whole "you must have a specific build in a game about making a customized character build" is one of the reasons that pvp failed. And yes, I know there are pvpers who are very upset that most players would rather have fun making silly builds rather than pvping.
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2017

Just the other day some people got hero games going again. I fought messiah in BASH and some people in stronghold. Why can't you guys queue more often?

No, thanks.
    - Because i never enjoyed any form of PvP whatsoever, be it on CO on in any other MMO.
    - Because my characters are themed, and thus so is their build ; if i have to select a very precise range of powers to have
    a decent PvP build at the cost of ruining the theme, that's a no.
    - Because i find PvP rewards (Luchador costume options) uninteresting, unless one actively wants to look like El Santo. Which i don't.
    Post edited by ashstorm1 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I popped into a duel on a character that I would reliably win with a few days ago, and I got absolutely creamed in just a couple seconds. This is a result of the fact that I've had to rework the builds to dismiss things like master dodge, and other ADs. The way the content has been shifting, you just don't have room for things like this in your build anymore, they're all but useless against any of the new mobs. For instance: pop MD on a group of destroids, or worms, or some such, or when a cosmic turns on you, it's pointless, you'll die instantaneously anyway. The disparity of what performs correctly for an acceptable build for everything else is getting further, and further away from anything that would ever work in PVP. IE: The only AD you would ever really use at all outside of PVP is resurgence, unless you're a tank. Otherwise, they just don't really do much to keep you alive. And these powers/points are much better placed elsewhere. I've often considered rigging up one of my characters to be a pvp monster, but then she would have to be only for that, because she would useless pretty much for everything else. Then, if I wanted to fix her back to get her where I could use her for that again, then she's useless in pvp. So, in the end, due to the fact that gold is ever getting smaller in supply, and rerolls most certainly aren't free, I just opted to stay out of it. Perhaps if there was some organized, team based stuff that happened, where I could take in super-dps characters that have a decent amount of hp, and a healer/support to help keep them alive, I could have a bit of fun in it. This was the case a few years back when there was something similar in that nature, and it was pretty fun. But otherwise, it's just too expensive to tailor a character back, and forth between the two sides repeatedly.​​
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    nbkxs wrote: »
    I popped into a duel on a character that I would reliably win with a few days ago, and I got absolutely creamed in just a couple seconds. This is a result of the fact that I've had to rework the builds to dismiss things like master dodge, and other ADs. The way the content has been shifting, you just don't have room for things like this in your build anymore, they're all but useless against any of the new mobs. For instance: pop MD on a group of destroids, or worms, or some such, or when a cosmic turns on you, it's pointless, you'll die instantaneously anyway. The disparity of what performs correctly for an acceptable build for everything else is getting further, and further away from anything that would ever work in PVP. IE: The only AD you would ever really use at all outside of PVP is resurgence, unless you're a tank. Otherwise, they just don't really do much to keep you alive. And these powers/points are much better placed elsewhere. I've often considered rigging up one of my characters to be a pvp monster, but then she would have to be only for that, because she would useless pretty much for everything else. Then, if I wanted to fix her back to get her where I could use her for that again, then she's useless in pvp. So, in the end, due to the fact that gold is ever getting smaller in supply, and rerolls most certainly aren't free, I just opted to stay out of it. Perhaps if there was some organized, team based stuff that happened, where I could take in super-dps characters that have a decent amount of hp, and a healer/support to help keep them alive, I could have a bit of fun in it. This was the case a few years back when there was something similar in that nature, and it was pretty fun. But otherwise, it's just too expensive to tailor a character back, and forth between the two sides repeatedly.

one way they could ever fix that (without spending hundreds/thousands of man-hours rebalancing everything to work well in both PvE and PvP, which is impossible because the two game modes are not and never will be comparable to each other) is do for their build swap system what neverwinter is about to do with its similar loadout system - but it will never happen here, because if they actually added the ability to swap entire builds (including gear and specs) on the fly instead of the glorified costume/aura changer it is now, no one would ever buy freeform slots again​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    ashstorm1 said:

No, thanks.
    - Because i never enjoyed any form of PvP whatsoever, be it on CO on in any other MMO.
    - Because my characters are themed, and thus so is their build ; if i have to select a very precise range of powers to have
    - Because i find PvP rewards (Luchador costume options) uninteresting, unless one actively wants to look like El Santo. Which i don't.

Why are you even part of a discussion concerning pvp when you completely dislike every aspect of it? o3o Don't you think everyone here already assumes someone like you wouldn't participate?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    spinnytop said:

ashstorm1 said:

No, thanks.

Why are you even part of a discussion concerning pvp when you completely dislike every aspect of it? o3o Don't you think everyone here already assumes someone like you wouldn't participate?
    Because he's a part of irrational majority of humans, obviously. They just can't stop annoying others even if they have 0 reason to do it.
    Post edited by shiningdarkness#2717 on
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    This might just be me, but I used to find PvP a blast, way back when, a bit around when Perfect World took over. It was what we did before you youngin's newfangled Alerts and such faddle.

Winning PvP, well, that there's a different endeavour entirely, but duking it out against other people who could attack from any angle at any time was way more fun than the dueling and super-rare pop of a PvP queue once in a bloodmoon.

It encouraged players to think about how they were built, and redesign their characters a little to give them an edge. A little bit of stealth here, a shield there. Tweaks, rather than build overhauls.

There were some who went too far and worked out Da Optimal Build (BROWN EPIDEMIC GAS SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM LOVELYSPAAAAAM!) but when you were randomly grouped against a bunch of other people who built their characters to look cool and maybe take down a few mooks here and there, it was fun times.

The only disincentive is because acclaim is basically worthless to anybody who has already unlocked all the relevant costumes related to it. I say to make people play more, how about a daily Q mission and maybe swap out acclaim for Recognition and stick the Acclaim rewards in the recognition store, since it makes sense for a hero to gain international recognition for fighting in a sporting event, no?
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    lifeline99lifeline99 Posts: 72 Arc User
    If pvp had a few tweaks it could be made relevant again:

1) Team PvP would need to be reworked so that PvE builds could still participate. In other games there are siege weapons and the like, that allow otherwise delicate builds a bit of dps and tankiness, but they are stationary which makes them easy targets. This usually happens during hold and capture games. (A reworked stronghold could handle this.)

2) Rewards for PvP just blow... seriously. If you want people to even venture a thought of getting 100 losses in a row, then a 100pt item needs to be worth the humiliation.

3) Keep BASH the way it has been, a free for all, however for the love of god put in a safe spawn point to prevent the merciless farming of those who are in way over their head. While you can’t stop jerks from being jerks, you can give a warning sign to the fresh meat that there are sharks in the water.

4) I would go so far as to offer AT currency and FF currency for the divided games. The items would be Bind on Equip, not pickup. To encourage AT participation in their own games. Making the rewards identical or different doesn’t matter to me. However AT currency rewarded hero games could make ATs more relevant beyond what they are now.

5) Or we should just nuke PvP from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure it stays dead.
  • Options
    imthenightmareimthenightmare Posts: 45 Arc User
    i do fine in pve with my pvp build, maybe u guys are just noobs??????
  • Options
    sagehunterrsagehunterr Posts: 1 Arc User
    I think I even saw Xeno in game again, that guy truely represents his name sake and just won't die
  • Options
    imthenightmareimthenightmare Posts: 45 Arc User
    yes, with my DW build
  • Options

That's because the build you use for PvE is actually a PvP build. :) It's just not the typical ranged min/max cookie-cutter. :P

ur not the boss of builds.
  • Options
    embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User

i do fine in pve with my pvp build, maybe u guys are just noobs??????

yes, with my DW build

A person who uses a 1 button build, calling other people noobs... I mean, seriously? Listen up, kid. DW is overpowered, to an extent, where a blind monkey with half a brain (Sinnerella!?) could run a toon with it.

The delusion is strong, within some folks. Reality check: 1,2.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

When did I say that I'm the boss of builds? 9_9

You know what you did.
  • Options
    oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    Out of all the posts in this thread, no one has yet presented a legit reason as to "Why should pvp be dead."

Lots of whining about themes though. Lots.