Install Arc
Options

So I'm sitting a tornado shelter....

13»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    That storm is supposed to hit up here in the DC area sometime starting tomorrow morning. Should make things interesting
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011

......just glad I live on the other side of the Atlantic,that's one nasty storm.:eek:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We are about to get hit with another storm with a history of producing tornados and the weather guy says these aren't even the actual storms they are worried about. Those come this afternoon.

"These aren't the tornados you're looking for."
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rumors of my death slightly exaggerated. No power or Internet. Lots of trees down and more nasty stuff on the way. At one point I was under the gun from three different tornados.

My family and I are at safe locations. I will try to check in with my iPhone as the signal allows.

Hope to be back to normal in a few days.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rumors of my death slightly exaggerated. No power or Internet. Lots of trees down and more nasty stuff on the way. At one point I was under the gun from three different tornados.

My family and I are at safe locations. I will try to check in with my iPhone as the signal allows.

Hope to be back to normal in a few days.

It's nutty ho many funnels those systems are generating this year. Glad you all are safe.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There are 4 or 5 separate storm systems surrounding me right now. This won't end well.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tornados spotted around DC tonight, and more storms coming in from Richmond, and the main body of storms is still down south :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Birmingham storm passed just north of me, and I have never been more grateful. It was really scary coming home from work and seeing debris from the massive Tuscaloosa storm up in the air. I had roofing, insulation, and other bits of...stuff...in my yard.

I don't think I'd ever been as scared about a storm, seeing what it did on television, thru downtown Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, knowing it was headed in my direction.

I've seen so many reports of towns "wiped off the map"...Hackleburg...Phil Campbell...most of downtown Cullman. Smithfield Estates (part of B'ham) was hit--the same area wiped out in a tornado back in 1977. This was one of the worst tornado outbreaks I'd ever seen.

Stay safe anyone in the path of this system! It is vicious!

Bob, Daevan (and anyone else), hope y'all are ok.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So the question is, what the heck did you Alabamans do to upset Mother Nature so much? :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So the question is, what the heck did you Alabamans do to upset Mother Nature so much? :D
    More to the point, I WANNA TORNADO!

I feel left out....:(
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I made it to the shelter within minutes of a tornado hitting. We lost a lot of trees and lots of power lines. One of the main lines running to the TVA nuclear plant was damaged and so most of North Alabama is without power. I'm on a generator and using a wireless broadband stick to type this. We had 29 Tornado warnings over the course of 12 hours yesterday. At one point, we were under five different warnings.

The local TV station said this outbreak is a "generational" outbreak. They said adults are unlikely to see another one like this in their lifetime. Add to that yesterday was my daughter's third birthday. :o

But all is well. My family is fine but unfortunately I will not be able to enjoy STO for the time being.

I see you when the lights come back on....:cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's good to read that you and your family are safe.....and tell your daughter happy birthday from Sharky.:)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We're down south of you. Alabama Power is reporting that over 500,000 customers (so 2.5 people per customer) are without power. Estimates are that it'll take 3-5-7 days to start getting it back depending on how badly damaged your area is.

That monster EF4 that leveled huge parts of Tuscaloosa grew into an EF5 over a mile wide that was on the ground for over two hours. Confirmed debris from Tuscaloosa landed over 120 miles away in Gadsden/Anniston/Oxford.

It left Tuscaloosa and ran right up I-20/59 missing downtown Bham/BHM (Birmingham Intl.) by about a mile. It then went up I-59 towards Gadsden. It turned just south of Gadsden and level large portions of Southside/Ohatchee/Piedmont before finally dissipating. That's a tornado that traveled almost 200 miles on the ground.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We're down south of you. Alabama Power is reporting that over 500,000 customers (so 2.5 people per customer) are without power. Estimates are that it'll take 3-5-7 days to start getting it back depending on how badly damaged your area is.

That monster EF4 that leveled huge parts of Tuscaloosa grew into an EF5 over a mile wide that was on the ground for over two hours. Confirmed debris from Tuscaloosa landed over 120 miles away in Gadsden/Anniston/Oxford.

It left Tuscaloosa and ran right up I-20/59 missing downtown Bham/BHM (Birmingham Intl.) by about a mile. It then went up I-59 towards Gadsden. It turned just south of Gadsden and level large portions of Southside/Ohatchee/Piedmont before finally dissipating. That's a tornado that traveled almost 200 miles on the ground.

We had debris raining in Oneonta from this storm while it was moving through Birmingham! This tornado was a record breaker, and it's just one of many that hit Alabama yesterday. Early reports are saying over 50 deaths from the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa tornado alone. Yesterday's full death toll is probably sitting around 70+...
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My thoughts are going to those of you who are affected by this unprecedented series of tornados.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "there's no place like home ... there's no place like home..."
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fatality count in Alabama alone is just over 140. I'm about to head out and survey the damage. From what I've heard, only two towns in North Alabama have power.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Huntsville Utilitles said it would take TVA four days to get power to them, and then it could take up to three more days to get their customers turned back on. We have a general curfew from dusk to dawn until further notice (most likely until they get the street lights and traffic lights working). I've already cut up two trees today with one more to go. The plus side is we are using this wood to get a fire going so we can cookout tonight.

An EF1 hit near me. We dodged the EF4 bullet this time around but we got slammed by one EF1 after another all afternoon.

To my fellow Alabamians, I'm glad to hear you are okay.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You know, after reading this (and seeing what's going on in the news); I (as a Southern California resident) always find it interesting in that I STILL have some friends living in that part of teh country who tell me stuff l;ike - :

"I could NEVER live in California; the thought/prssibility of being in a major Earthquake just freaks me out."

Well, as a resident of CA for 48 years, I've experienced three major Earthquakes firsthand (ie was living in the 'local area' where they occured); and thy were:

The San Fernando earthquake of 1971 (I was 7, nearly 8 when it hit. 6 miles form the epicenter. House was fine - got to stay home from school for a couple of days. Saw that some of the freeways damage to a couple years to fully repair.)

The Whitter earthquake of 1988 - (I worked at a Computerland that was 8 miles from the epicenter. Again, the shop came through fine; the mall half a block from it not so much.)

The Northridge Earthquake of 1994 - I was finally finishing my Computer Science Degree as I had quit school to take good job in the iindustry based on my skills (degree or not); and as time went on and my promotion opportunities slowed, I thouught having the degree on my resume would help me get interviews at other corporations.) And again, some damage and casualties; but still nothing on the scale that we've seen with these storms.

So, yeah, 3 major earthquakes but all a decade or more apart; while these types of storms (Tornadoes and Hurricaines, etc.) happen anually. So, sorry, I don't get the fear some folks have about the Earthquakes out in California - while living in a part of the country that see Tormades and Hiurricanes yearly; with usually a major stom related disaster every couple of years. Just saying.

(And my condolences and sympathies DO do out to the folks who were very badly affected by the recent storm situations that are still on going.)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Glad to see you're alright, Bob. Huntsville got hit pretty hard, from what I hear. Not quite as bad as Tuscaloosa and Birmingham... And let's not even mention Cordova. Last I heard, it's been all but wiped off the map.

Armsman, I get what you're saying, but it's never been this bad in Alabama. This was a once in a lifetime storm. That being said, yeah, Cali's weather is (usually) a paradise compared to Alabama's!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Daevan wrote:
    This was a once in a lifetime storm. That being said, yeah, Cali's weather is (usually) a paradise compared to Alabama's!

Let's hope so.

Last I heard the death toll was about 260 across the states affected.

So far I've only seen the destruction on the news, most of what I've seen first hand is just limbs down here and there. When I left earlier today the only power within Huntsville was generators. Been hearing estimates throughout the day of two to ten days before power is restored.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    35 mins away from St. Louis here. We were lucky we didnt get the direct hit from the EF4 tornado that just missed us by 15 mins away that hit a town which my fiancee's uncle lives in and it destroyed their farm but they are ok. Had a lot of trees down and we were actually out of power for couple hours. But be safe to everyone that is in the path of these terrible storms and more to come. Also to mention that the airport in St. Louis got really hit bad and parts was destroyed.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I know how you guys feel, I live in Arkansas and had one twister right down the street from me O.O in the words of Kirk "never been this close", bad thing is we're expecting more this Friday :( I hope to those who have been effected by these acts of nature trying to kill us, are ok and safe.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Condolences go out to those who are not alright and congratulations to those that are. Had some close calls near myself.

Californians are wimps on things. They are all 'oh noes, Earthquakes!'!. Well I get quakes. But what everyone is now worried about here is flooding. I live alongside the great Ohio and the water level there is getting higher and higher from like a week of rain.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yeah there are some areas in Arkansas where Flooding is up to the top of the entrance of Wal-Mart Super-centers.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Power is starting to crop up here and there. Of course, my house isn't included, yet.

Preliminary storm report says at least three EF4 tornados hit North Alabama (plus the EF5 that hit Tuscaloosa). One of the areas hit by an EF4 in the county I live in was hit by an EF5 16 years ago.

I speant all day yesterday cutting trees and the like. Still have some cleaning up to do.

Thanks for your concern, you are a great community. Have fun with this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to get on before May 2nd. :cool: