test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dominion War Memorial

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I hope that as the devs work on Starfleet Academy they are looking at adding a war memorial for those lost during the Breen attack on San Fransisco.

In fact, they should host a competition that takes submissions from the users. The winner's design is put in the game and has a "tour guide" named after that person.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I Agree there should be a memorial there and I like the idea of letting the community get involved in making it.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This is am interesting ideas. But I hope it will not be lame like wolf 359
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wouldn't have to be anything fancy.

Perhaps a gold statue of the USS Defiant, with a simple plaque that reads:

USS Defiant - The ship that single handedly won the Dominion War, while everything else exploded around it.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wouldn't have to be anything fancy.

Perhaps a gold statue of the USS Defiant, with a simple plaque that reads:

USS Defiant - The ship that single handedly won the Dominion War, while everything else exploded around it.

Na, wouldn't work.

Even Defiant herself exploded.

In fact they should just have a giant hologram of an explosion with a plaque that reads "NCC-BOOM"
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I hope that as the devs work on Starfleet Academy they are looking at adding a war memorial for those lost during the Breen attack on San Fransisco.

In fact, they should host a competition that takes submissions from the users. The winner's design is put in the game and has a "tour guide" named after that person.

The attack at Starfleet Command was minor compared to the overall War. I would imagine that the fall of Betazed would involve more casualties.

That said, there *should* be one for the Dominion War, out by DS-9 and the Wormhole.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The attack at Starfleet Command was minor compared to the overall War. I would imagine that the fall of Betazed would involve more casualties.

That said, there *should* be one for the Dominion War, out by DS-9 and the Wormhole.

I was only thinking one could be in Frisco because that would be the largest loss of life on Earth since the founding of the Federation. For an organization that's over 200 years old, I'd call that significant.

And by making it a player-submitted contest, we could get something better than the Wolf-359 floating communicator. Having the only prize be the inclusion of the submission and naming an NPC after the submitter opens it up to all players since there is no monetary award.

Edit: Also consider that the US has a WWII war memorial in DC despite the entire war taking place overseas.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I would like to add my voice to this one too, this is a very cool idea.

It recognizes canon and would be a nice touch
  • Options
    edited April 2011

There should be a war memorial for all those who lost their lives during the Dominion War
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There should be a war memorial for all those who lost their lives during the Dominion War

Well, just compare the war totals. The Federation lost more people during the Dominion war than they ever did against the Borg. Yet the Battle of Wolf 359 has a memorial when 39 ships were lost. The battle for DS9 alone lost hundreds.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think the destroyed Golden Gate bridge should be the memorial. Because after the Breen attack it showed it destroyed on the program. There really wouldn't be any reason for them to rebuild it, since no one uses cars anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like it! Let's do it.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Englebert wrote:
    I think the destroyed Golden Gate bridge should be the memorial. Because after the Breen attack it showed it destroyed on the program. There really wouldn't be any reason for them to rebuild it, since no one uses cars anymore.

I find "destroyed" too harsh a word, that's damaged but not really destroyed.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080329173055/memoryalpha/en/images/c/cd/San_Francisco_attacked.jpg

Also just because something is not used by cars of trains does not mean it should be abandoned.
    The bridge was also obviously rebuilt by the time of the future part of "Endgame".

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071028233508/memoryalpha/en/images/6/69/USS_Voyager_over_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg

Since such reparis would be carried out irrespective of the time when Voyager comes home it's reasonable to assume it would still be intact again by 2409.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Englebert wrote:

Just b/c no one uses cars anymore doesn't mean a historical landmark shouldn't be repaired.

Plus in the leaked pic we got, the Golden Gate looked completely whole.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    mister_dee wrote:
    I find "destroyed" too harsh a word, that's damaged but not really destroyed.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080329173055/memoryalpha/en/images/c/cd/San_Francisco_attacked.jpg

Also just because something is not used by cars of trains does not mean it should be abandoned.
    The bridge was also obviously rebuilt by the time of the future part of "Endgame".

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071028233508/memoryalpha/en/images/6/69/USS_Voyager_over_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg

Since such reparis would be carried out irrespective of the time when Voyager comes home it's reasonable to assume it would still be intact again by 2409.

That bridge in that picture is destroyed. It can't be used and the support on the right side is buckled. It would basically have to be rebuilt. They would probably have to rebuild all the support cables and the bridge between the two.

I also forgot that scene where Voyager returned and did a fly by of it. So it can't be used as a memorial since it was rebuilt.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Englebert wrote:
    That bridge in that picture is destroyed. It can't be used and the support on the right side is buckled. It would basically have to be rebuilt. They would probably have to rebuild all the support cables and the bridge between the two.

I also forgot that scene where Voyager returned and did a fly by of it. So it can't be used as a memorial since it was rebuilt.

By today's standards it couldn't be repaired, but with the advances made in technology by the Federation at that time, I see no reason why it couldn't be repaired. The Federation has warp travel, the ability to deconstruct matter on the molecular scale and then reassemble it at another location, the ability to make things seemingly out of thin air with the base molecules of something else, they can heal wounds in the blink of an eye, and that's just scratching the surface. I see no reason why they couldn't repair that kind of damage quite easily. On the other hand, it would probably be easier to just build a new one.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I would point out that the bridge was already repaired based on what we saw of it in later episodes of Voyager, which took place after the Breen attack.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0gXmdYt-o

Specifically in this video, you not only see that the bridge is intact but you also see that it's used for high speed trains.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Some kind of memorial is suited for at least the lives lost within the walls of the Academy itself as shown on the picture. It could also be extended to all lives lost in the Dominion War, at least as a plaque dedicated to them.