test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sci-Fi is getting Killed

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Ten Forward
Television Companions Like Fox ,SyFi and may others are destroying good science-fiction. It has to be said a lot of companions (Present company excluded) are dumbing down TV (It is mainly in America) there are some links I found on the subject; theses are three of many many more, both opinionated and fact based.

Fox has been doing it for YEARS look at the original star trek. They said it was a WASTE of money, OPS looks like once again they where dead WRONG. There where other shows like firefly, caprica, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The 4400, Angel, Farscape, Brimstone, Invasion, Dark Angel, Invasion, Moonlight, Roswell, Jupiter Moon, Witchblade, B5 and many more NOW join by Stargate Universe.

We Can't let this continue because at this rate sci-fi shows with and ounces of thought required will not exist expect in the minds and DVD/VHS of the few who still have an IQ. What do you think will happen when they really a new sci-fi maybe even the Star trek one that is meant to be being made is already under attack and its not even been on the TV get.

There are few and few TV shows that make you think while you enjoy them. I know that is community can help change this. please help fight the good fight and stop this IQ dropping before we end up no smarter than a single celled organism.

Thanks you for reading this and I hope that you will do your part to say that enough is enough.

Yours sinisterly
La Phyzz
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Sci-Fi has been getting stabbed to death for many years, it's sad.

I'm glad SGU is dead though, it had nothing to do with the real morals/meaning of Stargate; all it had was the skin.

And to be honest, I haven't seen anything new with sci-fi shows on Tv; it's always a remake of something now a days :(

I used to watch Sci-Fi shows all the time on TV, but now I rarely even use my TV b/c of all the poor shows now :(

Oh well, here's to a hopelly better future :rolleyes:
    edited April 2011
    SGU needed to die. Im surprised I watched the entire first season, hoping it would be awesome like the other series... but know it was just a shallow BSG clone. It wasnt even mildly entertaining. The only thing it had going for it was a couple of hot girls.

All the other series Fox cancelled though were great. Especially Firefly and Brimstone and Wonderfalls... I think "reality" tv has done more damage to this country than all this global warming nonesense.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~GM Tiyshen
    edited April 2011
    Actually SGU seems more beliveable to me than any of the other SG series.

SG1 had a way of making the characters a little too... Hero like (i kept wondering when they would start to fly and wear spandex) and SGA... well... seemed more like a comic than anything else.

The SGU characters are more real... With actual issues and are not perfect. They were even acting human (talk about the first scene where we met Lt. Scott? xD)...

I was really dissapointed when they cancled that series... and I wasnt when they cancled both SG1 and SGA.

But yea... in general SciFi series are dropping in quality...
    edited April 2011
    anazonda wrote: »
    Actually SGU seems more beliveable to me than any of the other SG series.

SG1 had a way of making the characters a little too... Hero like (i kept wondering when they would start to fly and wear spandex) and SGA... well... seemed more like a comic than anything else.

The SGU characters are more real... With actual issues and are not perfect. They were even acting human (talk about the first scene where we met Lt. Scott? xD)...

I was really dissapointed when they cancled that series... and I wasnt when they cancled both SG1 and SGA.

But yea... in general SciFi series are dropping in quality...

There are some partitions that can be filed out but everyone is ether
    • What is the point I wont make difference
    • Or
    • Well even if I did not enough people will do so what is the point

The point is do it if everyone did it there would be enough people but unfortunately then Dumbing has already started to take Shows of the air. We Must fight
    edited April 2011
    Killed? Oh no, not killed! /end Bill Murray voice.
    wrote:
    SGU needed to die. Im surprised I watched the entire first season, hoping it would be awesome like the other series... but know it was just a shallow BSG clone. It wasnt even mildly entertaining. The only thing it had going for it was a couple of hot girls.

Couldn't agree more. They spent more time milling about complaining than they did actually doing anything at all.
    wrote:
    All the other series Fox cancelled though were great. Especially Firefly
    The single biggest missed opportunity ever. Despite recycling almost all their props from Starship Troopers, using a Hind as a hover craft, a Quad they called a Mule that later in the movie turned into a 4 seater hovercraft and let's not forget the single worst opening theme in human history, that was among the best TV series that ever graced my eyes. It's sad they gave it the axe despite the fact that it had a ton of viewers, but at least we got a hell of a movie out of it and some lesser-known actors got their names out there. Though, Jayne was already out there (Independence Day to name one place)

Just give it a couple years. Culture in general will have changed, be it for the better or worse, and we'll see what comes next.
    edited April 2011
    La_Phyzz wrote:
    Television Companions Like Fox ,SyFi and may others are destroying good science-fiction.

Destroying? It was destroyed and cast into the wind years ago. I haven't been excited about a tv show since Enterprise was cancelled.
    La_Phyzz wrote:
    There are few and few TV shows that make you think while you enjoy them. I know that is community can help change this. please help fight the good fight and stop this IQ dropping before we end up no smarter than a single celled organism.

Um, I don't think you should've gone into brain fist bumping here. Scifi isn't harder to comprehend than several other genres. You can't just compare it to "reality show" garbage.
    Aisling wrote:
    SGU needed to die. Im surprised I watched the entire first season, hoping it would be awesome like the other series... but know it was just a shallow BSG clone. It wasnt even mildly entertaining.

That was my opinion as well. Folks generally agreed that it picked up after that first season, though. I gave up after the episode where the ship dove into a star to refuel. It was the 4th episode in a row where everyone was all "we're doomed!!" emo then the ship saved them in the end. It annoyed me greatly.

Fear not! There is always hope on the horizon! Falling Skies looks to have great promise. Let's just start rubbing our magic troll bellies now and wish it won't suck.
    edited April 2011
    Central problem is the education system from cradle to college. I have a long rant here about this, but this not the correct venue for such a rant.
    edited April 2011
    Sad but true. TV execs have no clue when it comes to SciFi. SciFi (sorry...SyFy [stupidest name ever]) is nothing more than fake wrestling and ghost hunters now. That channel is worthless.

I agree...reality TV has destroyed american television.

Fortunately, BBC is still trying. I miss Torchwood though. I hope the US version coming out doesn't ruin it.
    edited April 2011
    Needle wrote: »
    Sad but true. TV execs have no clue when it comes to SciFi. SciFi (sorry...SyFy [stupidest name ever]) is nothing more than fake wrestling and ghost hunters now. That channel is worthless.

I agree...reality TV has destroyed american television.

Fortunately, BBC is still trying. I miss Torchwood though. I hope the US version coming out doesn't ruin it.

The thing is what kind of Sci-Fi Channel is SyFy, no dignified sci-fi anything would have wrestling unless it was some how RELATED to SCI-FI. SyFy needs to get there heads out of where ever they put them and star thing again or change the name of the channel to something more fitting like "Fox Wannabes"
    edited April 2011
    unfortunately for us, sci-fi shows are expensive to make by their very nature, and its not the most watched tv genre. those two factors mean that we are always fighting an uphill battle from the start.

it does hurt to see sc-fi shows always on the edge of cancellation regardless of their quality but i dont see that trend stopping any time soon.
    edited April 2011
    Ravenstein wrote: »
    Central problem is the education system from cradle to college. I have a long rant here about this, but this not the correct venue for such a rant.

maybe you can Rant on STOI's Forums like Crazy Anime Lady? :P :p
    edited April 2011
    La_Phyzz wrote:
    The thing is what kind of Sci-Fi Channel is SyFy, no dignified sci-fi anything would have wrestling unless it was some how RELATED to SCI-FI. SyFy needs to get there heads out of where ever they put them and star thing again or change the name of the channel to something more fitting like "Fox Wannabes"

Exactly!!!
    edited April 2011
    SGU was awful. It should've been cancelled after the episode where all that happened is the characters agonized over the fact they were about to die by crashing into a sun.
    edited April 2011
    I'm a bit sad that SG:U got cancelled, as I thought it was the most interesting thing to be added to the Stargate franchise since that franchise went to hell in a handbasket after the 5th season of StarGate SG-1(ie wehn Sci-Fi (now SyFy) took it over. YMMV. It had a few stinkers, but name any series that didnt.

As for TV schience fiction being 'dumbed down' - it's NOTHING NEW. Yes, we had the original Outer Limits, The Twiliight Zone (of course not all TZ eps were science fiction based), Star Trek and (imo) The Invaders (which actually treated the genre with respect and had some decent and imaginative storylines in its run); but, we ALSO had:

Lost in Space
    The Time Tunnel
    Land of the Giants
    Planet of the Apes (The TV series)
    The StarLost
    Logans Run (the TV series)
    Battlestar Galactica (1978)
    Buck Rogers (1980)
    V (The TV series)

and I could go on. But pl;ease 'the dumbing down of Science Fiction on TV'? Nothing new. It's been that way since TV started doing broadcasts. :)
    edited April 2011
    on the same note...have you ever wonderd why amc or any big time tv channel that plays movie does not have ANY recent movies? the most recent movie I saw advertised was Bad boys...and Independance day. The pick the best movies to advertise the channel and Everything is old school nothing new at all. These are the newest movies they show, Something is seriously wrong with new movies and tv.
    edited April 2011
    All I have to look forward to is Doctor Who (AWESOME) and Torchwood. Falling Skies looks interesting BUT I can see that being another future "missed opportunity"

Enterprise was genuinely a great show, after that, we had BSG for a little while longer but a week later after the series finale ended (which IMO, was the best put together finale of any series since DS9) I came to the sad realization there is literally nothing left for me to watch.

V isnt as good as the original
    Dollhouse didnt have a long enough run
    Caprica was... well to put it bluntly, the Sopranos basically doesnt work in space :p
    SG:U took too long to get into gear, by which time it was already too little too late

Sci-Fi is dead, its going through its ice age. Give it a couple of years and the genre will thaw itself out again
    edited April 2011
    SG:U was light years ahead of the prior series in terms of quality and meaning. The problem was that the writers and producers got caught up in making something dramatic and fascinating, ultimately turning away from exploration and towards social dynamic and intrigue. We could probably blame Rene Echevarria for that, since a lot of the elements that he used to make DS9 and BSG successful made both great and horrendous epsiodes in SG:U.

The same thing happened with Caprica. Ron Moore and the writers tried to get too big with it instead of stripping the show down. Virtuality was hanging over Ron Moore's head, so I don't blame him too much.

Also, other great shows have been cancelled without filling the Sci-Fi niche. Two shows I feel were dealt an unfair hand were Terriers and Rubicon, though they do require an attention span of 50+ minutes and long-term memory recall. Any show that incites cognition in the audience tends to do poorly in the United States.

To sum,
    FlashForward was terrible
    FireFly was only meant to be one season
    Dollhouse was the most underrated show on broadcast cable last decade
    AMC and FX have/had the best shows on television
    All TV shows are recycled
    edited April 2011
    opzulu wrote: »
    on the same note...have you ever wonderd why amc or any big time tv channel that plays movie does not have ANY recent movies? the most recent movie I saw advertised was Bad boys...and Independance day. The pick the best movies to advertise the channel and Everything is old school nothing new at all. These are the newest movies they show, Something is seriously wrong with new movies and tv.

AMC doesn't advertise itself as the "new movie" channel. It typically costs more in royalties to show newer films on television than older ones. Premium channels, because they take money directly fromt he subscribers, show new films all the time.

You'll often see the Sci-Fi original movie Dog Soldiers on AMC from time to time. Not that I watch it.
    edited April 2011
    Sci-Fi is not dead; it is suffering from its relative popularity. Back in the day, when the Sci-Fi section of a bookstore was one set of shelves and was only frequented by the diehard nerds there was less material but it was almost always good and greatness was common.

As far as wrestling on Sy-Fy, it seems to me that gargantuan individuals suped up on performance enhancing drugs would fit very well into a Sci-Fi venue. The story lines are kind of lame and the acting is terrible, but I could see it as sci-fi. I still don't watch it, and dread the times that I have caught the tail end waiting for something else to come on, but I have found it does little good to denigrate the tastes of other.
    edited April 2011
    WarpVis wrote: »
    Sci-Fi is not dead; it is suffering from its relative popularity. Back in the day, when the Sci-Fi section of a bookstore was one set of shelves and was only frequented by the diehard nerds there was less material but it was almost always good and greatness was common.

As far as wrestling on Sy-Fy, it seems to me that gargantuan individuals suped up on performance enhancing drugs would fit very well into a Sci-Fi venue. The story lines are kind of lame and the acting is terrible, but I could see it as sci-fi. I still don't watch it, and dread the times that I have caught the tail end waiting for something else to come on, but I have found it does little good to denigrate the tastes of other.

I agree here. Sci Fi has its ups and downs. It's been going since Jules Verne wrote his books and has moments of popularity and interest which fade down to a simmer. Then something like Star Trek or Star Wars comes along and it boosts in popularity again, with some good stuff (BSG), some mediocre stuff (SGU) and some TRIBBLE (insert numerous failures here.)

To quote Monty Python. "Its not dead, its resting."
    edited April 2011
    I have felt SyFy went the way of Jumping the Shark along time ago...I mean seriously...hollywood auction shows, Scooby Doo ghost hunter shows and wrestling....give me Sci Fi not SyFy.

Well lets hope BSG:Blood and Chrome is a better prequel than Caprica was. At least I have the new season of Dr. Who to look forward to. (I perfer BBC shows to the *******ized American versions. I.E. Being Human and Top Gear any day.)
    edited April 2011
    Personally, I think SGU, had some great ideas but the writers wanted to make it a drama, which killed it.

What I would like to see is new Star Trek, that will last more than 1 or 2 seasons. I think a show based around a Romulan ship would be good, maybe even have some star fleet people aboard it, for flavor.
    edited April 2011
    I am very disappointed at Syfy (It should be Sci-Fi but they are stupid) with their constant cancellations. SGU was fine, in fact if you watch through they were just getting somewhere when they canceled it. Now what does SyFy have? Sanctuary which will be canceled due to budget after the next two seasons just like Atlantis. I liked these series and I understand why they had to let them go because when you get to 5 seasons the price to make the next one goes up and up and up. Another BSG reboot isn't going to save them either look how Caprica did. I still haven't forgiven FOX for Firefly either (I loved that show!)
    edited April 2011
    After seeing they are re-making one of the five original Planet of the Apes films... again... I got mad. Even more so when I realized it was one of the ones I really enjoyed that served to explain the rise of the apes and the last days leading into nuclear Armageddon complete with the awesome Fallout like vibe... replaced with more Marky Mark rubbish.