test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Authors - Show me yours and I'll show you mine

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
I've noticed that several of us (including myself) are having a very hard time getting just one person to try our first missions. We are the ones that are typically unfleeted or do not play with real life friends.

So, I thought I would start this thread for people who are looking for people to try their first missions. I would be happy to try out some of yours in exchange for the same.

If this thread actually turns out to be useful, please post feedback constructively and politely to each other.

My mission is in my sig. Just waiting for someone...anyone...to play it. It was fun to make...but after three days without a bite, I am a bit deflated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Although my mission is already 'established', i'll be happy to play your mission. Ive been waiting for yours in fact, and now that i checked, i see i missed your original notice.

I'll get to it as soon as i can.
    edited April 2011
    How oh how were you waiting for mine? :) don't feel like you have to rush. Thanks for the interest.
    edited April 2011
    Most reviewers have a pile of missions that they've been working on. I know PodcastUGC routinely gets fan mail begging them to review the mission. But, if you're not up for public bashings (if your mission isn't up to par with their standards) feel free to drop by the StarbaseUGC chatroom. There's usually someone hanging around there and if you ask nicely they'll play your mission.

Also, I feel your plight on that one. I used to do reviews on the StarbaseUGC website. Long story short, people didn't like me doing reviews (My gut tells me that I was purposely muscled out). Apparently the reviewing missions game is just as competitive as the get people to play my mission game. The point of that story was that I used to only review missions that had only one review mission or the mission that was sitting around with no reviews.
    edited April 2011
    Also, I feel your plight on that one. I used to do reviews on the StarbaseUGC website. Long story short, people didn't like me doing reviews (My gut tells me that I was purposely muscled out). Apparently the reviewing missions game is just as competitive as the get people to play my mission game. The point of that story was that I used to only review missions that had only one review mission or the mission that was sitting around with no reviews.

I do remember those reviews. I cant say i didnt like them personally, so i was slightly disappointed to see you end them. I agree the reviewing game is pretty competitive though.

Btw, CardassianNinja, I've played your mission. Ive got some feedback for you on it, so if you want i can just post it here, or send you a private PM.
    edited April 2011
    Just played your mission. I sent you an email with a review. I would not post anything publicly for your first mission. It just seems polite.:)
    edited April 2011
    I just keep my sig up to date with my missions :p

I'd like to get them played before moving on to other missions. Got my tribble trilogy I'd like to re-work and port over to holodeck.

Then on to Klingons! Just wish I could have Klink v Klink so I could have a house battle. Kinda lame we can't do this without reskinning and losing sweet bat'leth on Bat'leth action...
    edited April 2011
    That sounds like a reasonable idea. I'm going to give your mission a go in a minute!

If you want to check out mine, you'll find a link to its thread in my sig. :)

edit: Just played your mission! (possible spoilers below)

I really liked the pace and the story. I spotted several typos, so you might want to look over the dialogs (which otherwise were great) again before re-publishing.
    I was a bit confused when placing the pattern enhancers on the Cardassian ship - I think it would be better to replace the "reach marker" objective with "interact with object", and put an invisible object where the enhancers appear afterwards.
    You could also add more fluff to the mission, like putting more NPCs on DS9, let the enemy groups on the satellite work on consoles before you attack, etc. But I consider that stuff bonus material.

Overall I gave 4 stars :)
    edited April 2011
    Thanks all. I really didn't intend for this to be a play mine thread. I honestly intended to share with other first time authors.

I agree the pattern enhancers are a bit sloppy. I didn't know about the invisible object, so I will consider that. I also wanted to have the groups actually beam out once they are placed, but I couldn't figure that out with the states screen. Putting things in is easy but taking them away is difficult. So I had to do the map change.

Also agree the ds9 is a bit deserted. It was tough not seeing the wandering before publish. I plan to add more people.

Pm or public feedback is fine for me.

Does anyone need me to play theirs?
    edited April 2011
    I also wanted to have the groups actually beam out once they are placed, but I couldn't figure that out with the states screen. Putting things in is easy but taking them away is difficult. So I had to do the map change.

I thought the map change was actually quite a clever solution, because currently you can't let NPCs disappear/beam out.
    Does anyone need me to play theirs?

I don't need you to play my mission (Andoria Prime), but I am happy about every review I get. :)
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for your review, Faulgor. I changed the pattern enhancers to a scan and am re-publishing now. Unfortunately, they are taking the server offline in a few minutes so I'll have to play yours perhaps after work this evening or this weekend. But I will! =)
    edited April 2011
    Hi Im first timing too ( that seemed sort of seedy saying that lol:p) I have just finished my second in a continuing story line its called

Sleeper
    and also the second

Silent Witness (Sleeper PRT2)

I will defo give yours a check out tonight and mail you a review
    edited April 2011
    just sent you a reply mate with a full review. Feel free to ignore it. ;)
    edited April 2011
    I will begin playing the OP's mission and then some from other posters in this thread.

My mission information is below, thanks in advance!

Author: MrJohnnyX
    Mission Name: Inception of Deception
    ID: ST-HRRZXD9NC
    Fed, Holodeck level 41+

Someone is attempting to infiltrate Starfleet from within, can the Federation weed out spies before it's too late? Intense ground and space battles are sure to arise, but who is the right target and who is the biggest traitor?
    edited April 2011
    This is a great idea. We can all help get each other's missions out of review-limbo. :)

I won't have much time to play missions over the next few days. I hope to get to one or two before the weekend though.

Anyway, here are mine. The first one was my first mission. Last night people finally started reporting than an NPC contact was getting killed before they could talk to him. It's fixed now (by re-ordering some of the events).

The second one is my second mission, which is much more story-driven with interesting characters, but still plenty of combat. You'll see how it earns its title too.

"Of Minds and Men"
    Start: Wolf 359, Sirius Sector Block
    Faction: Starfleet, level 41+
    FoundryID: Holodeck, ST-HBF3QVJTL
    (A Stafleet vessel has gone missing near Wolf 359, under mysterious circumstances. You will need to board the ship and find out what happened)
    (I launched this one on Sunday and as of last night still had no ratings)

"Death by a Thousand Paper Cuts"
    Start: Vulcan System, Sirius Sector Block
    Faction: Starfleet, level 16+
    FoundryID: Holodeck, ST-HODKC3CNY
    (Your mission is to aid a science experiment in a distant star system. But of course, things don't go as planned. Is it a conspiracy?)
    (just launched this one last night)

edited April 2011
    This a neat idea, and since you're a fan of Cardassians you may end up liking mine. I just posted a thread in this forum called "Sorrow of Bajor - An Amateur Foundry Series". So far I've done two missions and they're the first two I've ever created.

I'm gonna go play your mission now after a bit of coffee :D
    edited April 2011
    Just completed OP's mission Title: The "True" Way (ST-HIGZPYFJ9)

I liked it very much and it was a good story. I give it 4 stars, great job!

Critical feeback:
    For me personally, ground combat was right where it should be, so you can amp it up if you want, without making it unplayable. Space combat was a little easy. Also, in the last scenes, it took me some time to find the enemy's location in space to defeat them. Additionally, its generally a good idea to keep space combat a bit further way from planets, because if you are in a crusier with poor turning, you always end up with 'White Screen' as you turn too close to the planet.
    edited April 2011
    Ill be happy to recommended missions I see in this thread for my fleets nightly foundry mission runs. Keep em coming. I'll start from the 1st page and move onward.
    edited April 2011
    CardassianNinja - Played and reviewed your mission The "True" Way. Sent you an ingame PM.

bigduckie - That would be great!
    edited April 2011
    Mission: Uplift
    Username: Walshicus
    Faction: Federation
    Level: Any
    Combat: Light
    Story: Heavy
    Maps: 4 Space, 4 Ground
    Description: "Dr Jurana - a controversial scientist from the Federation protectorate of Beranave - has disappeared after being implicated in the theft of medical replicators from the Starfleet hospital ship Yuris in the Risa sector.

Beranave has ambitions to full Federation membership, however this has been complicated by the emergence of evidence painting elements of the Beranavian Navy as complicit in the theft. A swift resolution is essential to prevent further delays to the planet's accession."

Would really appreciate a few reviews, if only to get an honest opinion on the content.

I'll try a few missions in here while I'm online!
    edited April 2011
    Wow thanks so much to all of you who played and gave me suggestions. I took many of them to heart as I agreed with most of them. Find the updates below:

The "True" Way (version 1.1) Patch Notes:
    • Changed "Distress" to something more useful
    • Added proper name to the Cardassian Ship in the first map
    • Clarified that the player should place pattern enhancers "near doorways."
    • Changed Kolir's Wander value to FALSE
    • Gave some NPCs at DS9 wandering ability
    • Corrected "Go to next map" dialogue box
    • Changed spawn point on Satellite interior
    • Changed Cardassian Engineer position to improve realism
    edited April 2011
    My first mission was posted for 3 minutes, before i removed it and trashed it this is actually my second, though due to the short time on the first, I just figured I would call that practice.

So my mission name is "Peace Keeper" by "Brightwhiteknight" and has been on the Tribble list for almost 4 weeks with no reviews.

It is Klingon missions against the Federation. Mission description is thurough just go find and play if you w ould be so kind.
    As you mentioned, I have no fleet or r/l friends playing. I would definitely apreciate some input on it I put several hours into it building it from a v1.0 to 1.5 before calling it final. Please be blunt but not rural with your reviews please. I dont mind a brutal review if its a helpful one =0). TYVM!
    edited April 2011
    Wow thanks so much to all of you who played and gave me suggestions. I took many of them to heart as I agreed with most of them. Find the updates below:

The "True" Way (version 1.1) Patch Notes:
    • Changed "Distress" to something more useful
    • Added proper name to the Cardassian Ship in the first map
    • Clarified that the player should place pattern enhancers "near doorways."
    • Changed Kolir's Wander value to FALSE
    • Gave some NPCs at DS9 wandering ability
    • Corrected "Go to next map" dialogue box
    • Changed spawn point on Satellite interior
    • Changed Cardassian Engineer position to improve realism

Great mission I thoroughly enjoyed it!

-Perhaps name some of the non mission important npc's in ds9 -- ugc contact seems a bit odd.
    -map name Kinjun satellite #2 Perhaps rename to something else? *missed looking at the other map names but you get the picture*
    -space battle seemed a dash easy. not sure if it scales but if done on a team the mission would be too easy.
    -

----
    next is
    Sleeper
    and also the second

Silent Witness (Sleeper PRT2)
    edited April 2011
    I will defo be playing this again, its a good mission
    edited April 2011
    I reviewed CardassianNinja's mission and "Of Minds and Men" mission from Necrobones. Feedback/review in your inboxes as well as the mission review feedback.

For completeness-sake, here are mine:

Title: The Gemini Effect, Part 1
    ID: ST-HHC5GB8ZT

Title: The Gemini Effect, Part 2
    ID: ST-HOUAG8TYP

And yes, it's fairly hard to get reviews in; I was hoping with the content drought people will give these a go but I think making people aware that these are available will have to be part of the foundry process. That and better tools for mission searches and highlights would be nice.
    edited April 2011
    Gryphoner wrote:
    I reviewed CardassianNinja's mission and "Of Minds and Men" mission from Necrobones. Feedback/review in your inboxes as well as the mission review feedback.

Thanks! Since "Of Minds and Men" was my first mission, it's a little on the simplistic side, but that's OK. I've worked in some changes based on your feedback, since I felt it was spot-on. It should play a little more smoothly now.

I'll try to play your missions very soon as well.
    edited April 2011
    Hi Guys, I just made a trailer for my mission at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pFmEts-4o
    edited April 2011
    Hi Guys, I just made a trailer for my mission at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pFmEts-4o

I grabbed your mission into my mission log. I'll probably play it tomorrow. :)
    edited April 2011
    Just played Necro's "Death by 1000 Paper Cuts". Review in the PM.
    edited April 2011
    Just played The "True" Way. I enjoyed it. It was a fun story taking us around on a tour of the area. :)

Here were the only issues I ran into: (I'll go ahead and post them here since they're not really criticism, nor are they spoilers)

* I ended up having to fight the troops and kill them all while placing the pattern enhancers, since they had killed all of the friendly troops and were in the doorways. I don't know if there's a way around this or not.

* For some stupid reason, my brain didn't immediately get that I had flown that runabout over to the cardassian ship, even though I had just read it. It would have solidified it more for me if we had spawned in on the ramp that goes up to the runabout's hatch. Really a minor thing, and my own stupid reaction. But I figure if I'm stupid about it, some other people will be too occasionally. :)

Otherwise, I had no problems. Thanks for the mission, and keep them coming!
    edited April 2011
    Thanks so much for playing it.
    NecroBones wrote: »

* I ended up having to fight the troops and kill them all while placing the pattern enhancers, since they had killed all of the friendly troops and were in the doorways. I don't know if there's a way around this or not.

Another person suggested this also. I was going to move them back into the rooms a bit more...but I wanted you to actually see them as you move through the ship. I wanted it to be chaotic. I hope that people playing it will place their team on passive and run past.

* For some stupid reason, my brain didn't immediately get that I had flown that runabout over to the cardassian ship, even though I had just read it. It would have solidified it more for me if we had spawned in on the ramp that goes up to the runabout's hatch. Really a minor thing, and my own stupid reaction. But I figure if I'm stupid about it, some other people will be too occasionally. :)

It's funny that you mention this, because I wanted that too. However, I tried to do it, and they always spawned underneath the ramp. I just learned this morning about the "height" coordinate. I wonder if that works for spawn points also. But I agree, that is a nice suggestion.