test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

XP Bonus' in C-Store

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I'm thinking of getting a 8 hour skill bonus for my Klingon Captain so I have to do less boring KDF content. Just how much time does it actually cut off the time to get to Admiral?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    XP boosts are pointless to buy imo. Its already easy to level in this game.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hravik wrote:

Not on a KDF side character its not. There's way more grinding than there is on the Federation side.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DarkDreden wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting a 8 hour skill bonus for my Klingon Captain so I have to do less boring KDF content. Just how much time does it actually cut off the time to get to Admiral?

Since it's a 20% increase, I'd hazard a guess and say it makes leveling 20% faster while you've got it running. That assumes you use it as efficiently as possible (having it on only while doing a mission, don't leave it running while flying around in sector space or shopping on the exchange, etc).
    Hravik wrote:

I think the primary reason for the XP Boosts is for non-PvPers to level a KDF toon using just PvE Klink content. Feds have plenty of missions, and as you said, leveling is pretty brisk regardless.

Z
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't splash out with real-life cash on one though, there's a fair few of them on the exchange if you have lots of Energy Credits to spare.

Search for "Skill Bonus"
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DarkDreden wrote:

20% of 8 hours = 1 hour 36 minutes

so if you play for 8 hours you get XP as if you had played 9 hours and 30 minutes.

...what i would like to know is what you have to do exactly to get the bonus counted?
    Do you have to accept the mission AFTER you clicked on the item?
    Can you finish 20 missions but not call Starfleet, click the item and then get Bonus XP for all those missions you allready done before?

It certainly is worthless for only fighting enemies, they do not give much XP as it is...
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the bonus goes towards all XP earned... including mission completion. once you activate it, that's it. it's on. If time runs out while you're in a mission, I THINK it remains active until you finish the mission.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    so to get the most out of it. complete as many missions as humanly possible without taking the reward, and when you have a full list of completed missions activate a 1 hour bonus and get 20% extra on everything?

that sounds stupid...
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    it won't work like that.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I can imagine it is worth getting for a Klingon (even though I haven't levelled a KDF in over a year)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DarkDreden wrote:

Dont but those skill bonus items in the C store, not bad enough the KDF have been almost ignored
    since launch, but to have to actually pay to lvl up a little faster is a crime against the KDF.

That thing is bugged. I have a bug on my Gorn were everytime i'm in ground combat every 5-7 seconds i get that flash as if i have activated a skill boost item, even thou i have not.I tried GM help but they of course filed it as another bug report.And we all know Cryptic read those:rolleyes: yeah right.

Btw the trait that gives 20 + to knock back and +40 to roots have never worked on my KDF chars.And cryo tribbles dont give me or my officers on KDF side a buff.I have recordet it all if anyone cares i can get it up on you tube, so the devs actually have a clue what i'm talking about and fix it.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    so to get the most out of it. complete as many missions as humanly possible without taking the reward, and when you have a full list of completed missions activate a 1 hour bonus and get 20% extra on everything?

that sounds stupid...

Thats exactly how it works.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    tyyy wrote: »
    Dont but those skill bonus items in the C store, not bad enough the KDF have been almost ignored
    since launch, but to have to actually pay to lvl up a little faster is a crime against the KDF.

Indeed. And, in a perverse way, there's now a financial incentive to keep leveling up a KDF char dreadfully dull.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Indeed. And, in a perverse way, there's now a financial incentive to keep leveling up a KDF char dreadfully dull.

Nothing perverse about it. It's how these things work.

A candid admission that the game is less 'fun' without spending extra money.

The whole ethos of making games fun to play flew out of the window once cash shops got involved. Now they're designed to be just not fun enough.

The genie's out of the bottle now. Even single player games are heading down this route.

Just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »

that sounds stupid...

There aren't actually as many missions to keep stored as you might think. You may only like to level using specific missions (I leveled my klink almost exclusively on PvP and Spin the Wheel) and in that case you will probably run dry after completing four or five missions. Also, if you run explore missions/pvp where you get XP on a case by case basis you will miss out on the XP boosts there. With that said you still want to stack as many missions as you can before activating the skill bonus.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FurQue wrote:
    Thats exactly how it works.

Documentation please.

Hh, wait...there is none. Add this to the almost criminal lack of meaningful documentation on this game from the company. (I'm not talking about user-contributions/calculations)

Could a DEV please pipe up on this and offer clarification?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Documentation please.

Hh, wait...there is none. Add this to the almost criminal lack of meaningful documentation on this game from the company. (I'm not talking about user-contributions/calculations)

Could a DEV please pipe up on this and offer clarification?

Sadly they are indeed correct. While I do not think they 'meant' for it to work this way, this is the unfortunately exploit people have come up with. There is also a double down aspect in some missiosn as wellthat allow for you to rocket if you play it successively.

Blak
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I used an 8 hour skill bonus during my Captain Rank to ease the grind and i will admit, it did seem to help somewhat. The 8 hours did fly by over the period of a week or so when i was on my KDF character, and although many state that levelling a Klingon is tedious work, i've actually enjoyed the majority of it, particularly the Ground War Zone where no one seems to be around, and i complete the Borg Objectives kitting my character and ship out very nicely for each rank. I'm now BG5 and with just a week of this term left at Uni and almost 4 weeks off, i'll have no problem finishing the last remaining levels and a Guramba as my reward :)

And just to add, i will never buy a skill bonus as i don't feel the few hours saved as such constitutes to the value of the item. This skill boost was from the Anniversary and i even created another KDF character to obtain another item during that week as i knew at some point i would make my Carpathia character.