test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pet/Spam in Space

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Thank you for your attention to the matter Snix. We anxiously await your changes.
    edited March 2011
    Thank you Snix for responding on the issue. I know many, myself included appreciate your hard work, thank you.

Some anti Spam Suggestions....

Split Rewards.... this might sound crazy, however how cool would it be if one of the weekly rewards in every series was PvP Only. With all 4-5 of the other rewards being PvE only. We could have fun things like cloaking mines to use against the NPC ships... and one cool tested PvP item to look forward too... restrict its usage too Ker Rat and PvP ques, that would be uber cool and include the PvP community into the weekly missions even more. Not to compare STO to any other MMOs out there... however one cool thing that some MMOs have done is include actual PvP into story lines. In STOs case picture a weekly from week 4 or 5 of run featuring a PvP battle over a station / planet / system.... perhaps its an optional part of a mission one week for that one cool PvP only reward item.

Mines are both useless and Overpowered all at once.... right now you can spam too many too easily... and on there own their all useless. Mines should spawn 1-3 with higher yields. Proc effects for both Torps and Mines should be dependent on point spend. (You have set this precedent already with tricobalts) Right now its easy to spawn a nice sized cluster of chroniton mines that are almost guaranteed to have a proc if 5 land. Snix do the math with 5 mines out its a 67% chance to land a proc, that is a bit much; the proc chance should scale with point spend... however due to probability with 5 out even a 2% proc chance means a 10% chance to proc, the only way I can see to honestly reduce the standard chron mine spam is to reduce the number released. Dmg should be increased to balance them, I don't wish them to be useless, just not the standard guaranteed defense killer they are right now.

Of course as you no doubt know... Mines and Torps in general are in need of a once over. Right now there are 2 viable Torps for PvP, Quantum, Photon. Nothing else is really worth while. Transphasics should have there bleed dmg scale with point spend. Plasmas I am not sure how to best fix... perhaps higher point spends could mean a faster heavy torp version. I could see Heavy plasmas being useful if they traveled at twice their current speed... or where given more HP with point spend, making them harder to shoot down, or perhaps even surviving a GW for a couple seconds and possibly landing.

Snix thanks again for responding... I know you guys love the game you have created. Trust me everyone here who seems (ok are) so upset by the recent spamming of the spam... are only so upset as we too love this game. You guys have created a masterpiece of a PvP game, even though it doesn't seem that Cryptic realizes it. Honestly a handful of PvP oriented patches would make many more of your subs happy then you seem to realize... in fact it would even bring back a good handful of subs that I know are off PvPing elsewhere right now. (not to mention some of us that are unfortunately only barely subbed, really give me a reason to come back and lose sleep again for STO)
    edited March 2011
    hurleybird wrote: »
    Then why are you here? This is the PvP forum.

Boosh! I wondered the same :D

To re-itterate an edit I did to an earlier post, in response to mistform, since I did it as an edit it was probably missed (ignored in his case) by some.

"RE SUGGESTIONS:

In all honesty Snix, skills and deployables should be balanced specifically for PvP in every instance. PvE is a walkover, you can do it with your eyes closed, your skills aren't, "necessary", you just use them to get through it quicker than you otherwise would. The only times skills become utterly essential, is in PvP. As such, if you make them reasonable for PvP, they will always be more than sufficient for ANY PvE content."

I hope that is a sufficient response to his comments.
    edited March 2011
    I'd still like for an overhaul to make mines more the way they were meant to be.

mines were always used as a trap. so why not make them all cloaked, have much longer cooldowns, but do much more damage.

that way you can drop mines and make an actual minefield that the opponent cannot see until they stumble into it.

also if the mines were cloaked, it would reduce the amount of "stuff" that clutters up the viewscreen

A post with more information on the subject

just trying to find alternatives to mine spam overloads. No clue what to do about the rest of the pets though
    edited March 2011
    I really enjoy using these in PvE, I get the problems they can cause in PvP but I would really like to see an alternative to outright nerfing them.
    edited March 2011
    Krizonar wrote:
    I would not feel comfortable with Scorpions and mines staying the same but being disabled in PVP.

I take no handicaps. Either balance it, or keep it in. We're out there to KILL each other, so it seems silly those who use these items would be required to hold back.

this....

funny and ironic how when a skill or item is useful to pvp, you hear the standard reply: lernz 2 playz...

but no all we get is, this is spam, i can win, i cant move.

i just got to the point i can deal with them since i myself have started to deploy them. i also switched up skill sets a bit to compensate for the use of them on the battlefield.

but really devs, if you do make adjustments, make it for ALL pets. ALL mines, ALL fighters, ALL breen torps, ALL external devices or pets anyone can use in PVP, since it appears that this is the only location in which people seem to be upset over it.

ALL pets get the nerf or none...

ps: i voted and posted in another thread to make the special turret available via crafting or other way (cstore or ingame purchase), and this will offer a counter to the spam currently.
    edited March 2011
    i just got to the point i can deal with them since i myself have started to deploy them. i also switched up skill sets a bit to compensate for the use of them on the battlefield.

No you didn't. What happened was that most of the serious PvPers stopped playing out of disgust, or didn't use the mines out of principle. If you had flown against my "out to make a point" team earlier today you would have been totally and utterly helpless.
    edited March 2011
    this....

funny and ironic how when a skill or item is useful to pvp, you hear the standard reply: lernz 2 playz...

but no all we get is, this is spam, i can win, i cant move.

but really devs, if you do make adjustments, make it for ALL pets. ALL mines, ALL fighters, ALL breen torps, ALL external devices or pets anyone can use in PVP, since it appears that this is the only location in which people seem to be upset over it.

ALL pets get the nerf or none...

ps: i voted and posted in another thread to make the special turret available via crafting or other way (cstore or ingame purchase), and this will offer a counter to the spam currently.

Almost most every MMO in the world has items that are PVE only items. Some Pots some scrolls / enhancers what ever they ares simply do not work in PvP areas. Its the easiest way to keep some sort of PvP balance while still allowing multiple item usages on the PvE side. It means you can crank up PvE difficulty with out adding items that simply break PvP play... or mean that in order to win you MUST use X item. I don't want to have to fight cloaked mines with more cloaked mines... I don't want to HAVE to run FAW or CSV in order to PvP... yes I can build for it and beat it... its simply no fun. ;)
    edited March 2011
    You were one of the annoying fed pugs that was defending the mines even though every serious PvPer knew your arguments were garbage. Sci powers are not balanced, and this is coming from someone who is currently exclusively playing as sci. Join a PvP fleet, learn to play, and then comment please. Nothing is more annoying than someone posting like an authority figure despite being completely ignorant of the subject.
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the [URL=" http://forums.startrekonline.com/announcement.php?f=70&a=2"]Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines[/URL] GMMeeko
    edited March 2011
    No you didn't. What happened was that most of the serious PvPers stopped playing out of disgust, or didn't use the mines out of principle. If you had flown against my "out to make a point" team earlier today you would have been totally and utterly helpless.

lmao...your right, please forgive me. i know not what i do myself, but rather allow myself to be manipulated by you. :rolleyes:
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the reply, snix! Good to finally hear from a dev on this subject, and it's even better that the dev response understands our concerns.

I can now wait patiently for the fixes.
    edited March 2011
    You were one of the annoying fed pugs that was defending the mines even though every serious PvPer knew your arguments were garbage. Sci powers are not balanced, and this is coming from someone who is currently exclusively playing as sci. Join a PvP fleet, learn to play, and then comment please. Nothing is more annoying than someone posting like an authority figure despite being completely ignorant of the subject.

you really need to get of that high horse of yours before you take a pretty big fall. stop calling other players ignorant.

you have posted often enough today and have bashed people up one side and down the other. get a grip on yourself and present your view without attacking others.

go get some fresh air and return....hopefully you will have cleared your mind a bit by then.
    edited March 2011
    no nothing is more annoying then being told your opion don;t matter get over yourself.

And really id on;t see what the problem is with these mines are, ive been able to break away or get rid of them just fine
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the [URL=" http://forums.startrekonline.com/announcement.php?f=70&a=2"]Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines[/URL] GMMeeko
    edited March 2011

This really isn't a bad idea... It would take care of alot of the problem and it's not unreasonable.
    edited March 2011
    If you had flown against my "out to make a point" team earlier today you would have been totally and utterly helpless.

Do I sense an impending challenge?
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, I'm hopeful, but left slightly skeptical. The tractor beam mines were enough of a royal pain when it was just the Romulans. That leaves me reeling in disbelief over the thought process of bringing them to the players.

That said, I am really glad the devs didn't throw in Thalaron mines as a reward for extra giggles. Both options are horrible to the nth degree. It ruined the Big Dig, IMHO. :/
    edited March 2011
    Krizonar wrote:
    Do I sense an impending challenge?

Pretty much seen the would be Elitest are getting all crybaby on us and are going ot take their toys and go home.
    edited March 2011
    You know, I just thought about something. If there's this much QQ about some silly tractor mines, how in the hell are we ever going to have Tholian Web technology in this game? I mean, come on people! Improvise, overcome, adapt!!!
    edited March 2011
    Zanshi wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm hopeful, but left slightly skeptical. The tractor beam mines were enough of a royal pain when it was just the Romulans. That leaves me reeling in disbelief over the thought process of bringing them to the players.

That said, I am really glad the devs didn't throw in Thalaron mines as a reward for extra giggles. Both options are horrible to the nth degree. It ruined the Big Dig, IMHO. :/

I'll use a 4chan style reply for his one.

>implying the big dig was fun in the first place.
    edited March 2011
    Ah, but have you been in PvP matches where there were 200+ mines on the field, and your whole team ended up feeling like they were in a Kobayashi Maru simulation? If not, then shut up.

Your lack of experience only results in your words coming out as baby talk. If these changes are as favorable as advertised, you should pray you never enter my gunsights in PvP.

So much talk, not a lot of survivability without spamming I see with you...

Yeah i have actually got in a couple for today. and hey if i die i die, no big deal in the end it just a game, all am saying is really these mines or other pets are not a big deal if you just give it some thought
    edited March 2011
    adohi wrote:
    Pretty much seen the would be Elitest are getting all crybaby on us and are going ot take their toys and go home.

Well, considering we "elitist" players, as you so disgustingly call us, are the ones PvPing more often than you are, I would think our opinions should mean something when *we agree* with the nubsthat say that it's gotten out of hand, don't you? ;p
    edited March 2011
    I still contend that this is A GOOD THING.
    Change is good - prevents stagnation.

THOLIAN WEB -->> get ready!
    edited March 2011
    adohi wrote:
    I'll use a 4chan style reply for his one.

>implying the big dig was fun in the first place.

It is when you're a VA, and they are at commander level, and they can hardly keep up. Now, all the cpatains have to do is drop a Thalaron mine, and you're effectively one-shotted by someone 28 levels under you. That, my friend, is the definition of bull TRIBBLE.
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I liked having a 10 minute match leading the board with over 400k damage running CSV 1 & 3 and only 2 kills. ROFLMAO.

Thanks again Snix for addressing the problem.
    edited March 2011
    Ithaqua wrote:
    I still contend that this is A GOOD THING.
    Change is good - prevents stagnation.

THOLIAN WEB -->> get ready!

lmao......just wait and see how the boards explode all over about that... ;)
    edited March 2011
    It is when you're a VA, and they are at commander level, and they can hardly keep up. Now, all the cpatains have to do is drop a Thalaron mine, and you're effectively one-shotted by someone 28 levels under you. That, my friend, is the definition of bull TRIBBLE.

hehe....there is enough fair warning of the impending doom reigning in on you to get out of the way...

just sayin....
    edited March 2011
    Yeah i have actually got in a couple for today. and hey if i die i die, no big deal in the end it just a game, all am saying is really these mines or other pets are not a big deal if you just give it some thought

I'm in it for the PvP, not the "PvPvMinevPFvWhatever other TRIBBLE that can be exploited and take up half the map so crowd controlling techniques don't work because those danged people keep pooping out more NPC's than you can get rid of," so nuts to you! ;p
    edited March 2011
    lmao......just wait and see how the boards explode all over about that... ;)

I predict when it comes out, the quote unquote PvPer elite, will whine so bad it will be nerf and or out of the game so quick you won;t know what hit you
    edited March 2011
    hehe....there is enough fair warning of the impending doom reigning in on you to get out of the way...

just sayin....

ugh... self fulfilling prophecy with the Thalaron? Good thing I don't ground PvP to begin with...
    edited March 2011
    Well, considering we "elitist" players, as you so disgustingly call us, are the ones PvPing more often than you are, I would think our opinions should mean something when *we agree* with the nubsthat say that it's gotten out of hand, don't you? ;p

Did not mean that to be a broad usage just that the ones that are always flaming the boards telling people they have no clue what there talking about are the so called elitist that i'm getting mad at not the ones that are setting down and talking about real fixes not i don't like it bann it.