test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan Playable Race and Forehead Petition

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
Hello Star Trek Online players and Cryptic Devs. I'm a fellow Star Trek Online player, lifetime subscriber. I've been a Star Trek fan since I can remember and especially liked the Romulans. I've always been in favor of a playable Romulan Faction and a Playable Romulan Race in both the Federation and Klingon Sides. So I've created this thread because in a manner of speaking I would like to see a Romulan Playable Race in this game soon while we wait to see a Romulan Playable Faction because it might take a long time to create a playable Romulan Faction but a not a Playable Romulan Race.

When I saw what you the Devs did in the recent update that updated the look and whatever of the Romulans and Remans and stuff and I saw the new Romulan Forehead and hoped that it was added in the set of foreheads you could use for the Alien Maker in the Klingon/Federation factions. So I was excited and went and looked and lo and behold it wasn't there. So I would like it and appreciate it if you guys still have the Romulan faction on the backburner to at least have a playable Romulan Race in the works while we wait because who knows when a Romulan faction would be put into the game.

Also for the other players in the community I need your help in this also so what I would like you to do is just one thing or two things: a) most basic way to help me is to post in this thread and have as many posts as possible to show your support for a Playable Romulan Race. b)the other way is to start your own thread and have your own petition and have as many people post in your thread as a show of support.

Other than that I can only hope you Devs and you players are kind enough to see this thread and be kind enough to read and understand it and at think about it or concider what I have said in this thread either as something that could be done or maybe just seeing it as feedback.

The other thing I wanted to put into this post was that when and or if a Playable Romulan Race is added or concidered for being added here are my two cents of what should or could be done with them concept wise:

First of all attributes that Romulans should have is something that the Vulcan Race don't innately have as traits and that is a Grey Hearted trait (an episode of DS9 said the Romulans have grey hearts so this could be a reduced threat generation trait) and a Copper Blodded Trait (since Romulan are basically Vulcans this should be easy and would be a trait that maybe could be health regeneration or some type of immunity trait). Secondly the only other thing that I could want or think would be good for a playable Romulan is a variety of skin, complexion, forhead, nose, ear, hair, and face sets. That's all. So thats it.

Last but not least thanks to Cryptic for a great game I haven't uninstalled this game since I got it last year which is unusual most of the time I don't keep games I play even if they are popular installed for long but I will keep this one installed for as long it holds my interest. And thanks also to all the players for their suppor they've given me when and if I asked for help in-game and out of game. Please whoever be it a Dev or a player please consider what I have posted here. What you do with my request for a Playable Romulan Race could be the hisoric moment that started the path to a Playable Romulan faction. To Quote Sybok from Star Trek V, "The Power was within you." The power is within you. That doesn't also mean for this game that means anything. If you are American or British the power is within as a Human Being to make this world better like for example if you want to stop violence don't try to control it try to understand it. That's all. Thank you. Have a great year.:D Oh and Happy STO Anniversary.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I'd certainly buy playable Cardies and Romulans from the C-Store (I already have a whole crew of them mixed together using the aliengen.)

Hopefully they'd also have a "race change" and retrait service ready by then too.
    edited February 2011
    A playable Romulan (or Cardassian) is doable in the short term. Id get one (or both).
    edited February 2011
    I have a Rommie in game.

I actually strongly prefer the Brow Ridges I used, as they're more subtle, but just as prominent, so they look like they're actually something that could have developed on vulcans as a mutation, rather than something the costume designers put in there to make them look more menacing.

Here's her with Rommie Tatoos: http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/vp21ct/screenshot_2011-02-06-17-06-52.jpg?t=1297033895

And without the Tats: http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/vp21ct/screenshot_2011-02-06-17-07-24.jpg?t=1297033897

The Forehead Detail is Vaskan, and it's available to both KDF and Feddies, both genders.

For Traits, I used Physical Strength and Aggression (to counter Vulcan Logic) as the 'race' traits.
    edited February 2011
    I hate the Romulan forehead.

It's the most nonsensical piece of TRIBBLE in Star Trek (well, it's up there anyways).

Romulans and Vulcans are identical in their genetics completely. Yet you never seen Romulan foreheads on Vulcans. Also apparently Romulans can still have no forehead thing which is why Spock could hide among them.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
    At the same time it defeats the purpose of the Vulcans and Romulans being the same species because suddently they're not.

Star Trek 2009 got rid of the ridges again and that's how it should STAY.
    edited February 2011
    Very unlikely to happen.
    Both Romulans and Cardassians are already set to get their own factions.
    edited February 2011
    Wait for the Romulan faction.
    edited February 2011
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    Very unlikely to happen.
    Both Romulans and Cardassians are already set to get their own factions.

Klingons are available for both the Federation and Klingon factions. And dstahl said recently that they might show up as playable races for other factions too. Its all still in the discussion stage, though. Just need to wait and see what happens.
    edited February 2011
    I hate the Romulan forehead.

It's the most nonsensical piece of TRIBBLE in Star Trek (well, it's up there anyways).

Romulans and Vulcans are identical in their genetics completely. Yet you never seen Romulan foreheads on Vulcans. Also apparently Romulans can still have no forehead thing which is why Spock could hide among them.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
    At the same time it defeats the purpose of the Vulcans and Romulans being the same species because suddently they're not.

Star Trek 2009 got rid of the ridges again and that's how it should STAY.

I sttrongly recomend looking at the linky's I put up. It's basically Rommy forheads done right, since that kind of forhead can be so faint that you wouldn't notice it if I had hair. http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/vp21ct/screenshot_2011-02-06-17-29-37.jpg?t=1297035041
    edited February 2011
    Would rather like to wait, for as long as it takes. For a faction and for Romulans in a proper context.

The idea of random Romulans all over the place, is quite frankly repugnant. I would like to say that Romulans don't mingle, and if you think otherwise, then let me respectfully beg to differ, until the end of time, if need be.

There is no middle ground here, just an abyss that goes well beyond lines and divisions. Thus a clear statement must be made, and for that I am sorry. For to step upon the dreams of others, comes at a price. :(

---
    edited February 2011
    Rikx wrote: »
    Klingons are available for both the Federation and Klingon factions. And dstahl said recently that they might show up as playable races for other factions too. Its all still in the discussion stage, though. Just need to wait and see what happens.

Canonicly Klingons have also served as starfleet officers, Romulans however have not. :p
    edited February 2011
    Well.

What about all those romulan worlds that are looking for federation support, since they're tired of all the trouble the Star Empire brings?

What if some of those worlds decide to join the feds, and some of their people join Starfleet, hmm?
    edited February 2011
    ... are full of win.
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for all the posts I understand where some you all are coming from. I hope more people who are in favor of a Playable Romulan post in this thread in support. Also you can start your own Playable Romulan thread in support and the more threads and posts people make regarding the subject the more likely Cryptic will do something with it. Right now all I can do is hope. Thanks.:D
    edited February 2011
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/PlayBoxCube/Romulan-1.jpg

THIS is a Romulan. You can take away the Nero tat. No stupid head thing.
    edited February 2011
    Not green enough.

Even TOS Rommies were a bit more green than their Vulcan counterparts.
    edited February 2011
    You show me a truly green Romulan and I'll show you 20 more that have normal skin tones. Actually Romulans are never green. Though the ship lightning can fool you on that.
    edited February 2011
    I can point to a scene in Nemesis with several vaguely green Romulans.

It's worth noting, though, that the green is used more as a blush and less as a skin tone; Romulans and Vulcans both seem to have a natural skin pigmentation unrelated to their blood color.
    edited February 2011
    Rikx wrote: »
    Klingons are available for both the Federation and Klingon factions.

The klingons and the Federation were allies, and they only parted ways because the klingons felt that Starfleet had been corrupted by the Undine. They have a recent history of exchanging officers, even intermarrying.

The romulans have never had good relations with the Federation, even while they were allies in the Dominion War they kept each other at arms length because the romulans are incredibly xenophobic. And although the romulans were once (tentative ambiguous) allies with the klingons, that ended when the romulans betrayed them and slaughtered a bunch of klingon civilians on Khitomer. An act of incredible dishonour that basically spawned a blood feud. The klingons would sooner eat their own young than suffer a romulan to live (never mind invite one home for tea and let them sit on the bridge of a KDF starship).
    edited February 2011
    Someone throw me a clear shot of a "green" Romulan. They don't exist. :P
    edited February 2011
    Someone throw me a clear shot of a "green" Romulan. They don't exist. :P

It's not so much green (in the stereotypical martian sense) as it is a green cast. Vulcans have it too. This has been mentioned several times in canon, often when Spock was posing as "human" (usually human-like alien) he'd have his ears hidden and people would question his colour.
    edited February 2011
    Some romulans can get quiet pale. I wouldn't call them green ever. Most Romulans have totally human skin tones.

So I don't think it could be said that my Romulan doesn't have enough green. I still haven't ever seen a green Romulan. A slight green cast of like 1% hardly constitutes green. :P
    edited February 2011
    Some romulans can get quiet pale. I wouldn't call them green ever. Most Romulans have totally human skin tones.

Quite the opposite, most romulans are rather "greenish," though in fact it's more of a "yellow" with a green undercast.

Seen here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

It is the very rare exception that they don't appear this way, and almost never do they have "human" skin tones. Vulcans are the same way.
    edited February 2011
    I've already done my fair share of yelling at various devs to add the new Romulan ridges to the alien generator. Believe me, they've heard it before... whether from someone else, or from me directly (cause I am an annoying and persistent little snot. ;)) The trick is whether or not they want to / can. They've already added several of the new Romulan ears to the alien generator, if you guys haven't noticed.

This is probably a bigger issue than we realize. Anything that goes on the face in the alien generator needs to be able to scale, and the new romulan ridges may not have been made to do so. There's probably several additional layers of "stuff" needed to get such things working, so if Romulan ridges are coming ... they'd probably take time to do, and if you haven't noticed Cryptic kind of has their hands full. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was very low on their priority list.

On the other hand, they may just be against this entirely. Saving the Romulan ridges for the Romulan faction. I disagree with this very strongly considering there's already Cardassian and Klingon ridges in the alien gen -- Rommie ridges should be a given as well.
    edited February 2011
    Who knows maybe we will get a Romulan or Reman bridge officer out of this weekly series...
    edited February 2011
    Quite the opposite, most romulans are rather "greenish," though in fact it's more of a "yellow" with a green undercast.

Seen here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

Or here.

It is the very rare exception that they don't appear this way, and almost never do they have "human" skin tones. Vulcans are the same way.

There's no green here. Well, I used the color picker. They're actually not really near green. It averages to human tones.

None of these are green. They average in the orange where most white humans in trek are a bit more average din the red. They're often but not all the time paler than humans as well as more monotone. Technically using the color picker and testing it on most of those Romulans and many Star Trek humans like Picard they've got just about the same amount of green when you look at the RGB.

I tested the colors in photoshop of those pics and several human Star Trek characters. The pictures you showed have less red on average. But still nowhere near green overtaking anything. If anything it just makes them closer to white.

There's NOTHING green about those pictures.
    edited February 2011
    You have to take an extremely liberal meaning of the word "green" to apply it to those Romulans.

They're paler (sometimes) oranges.

Then some of those pics have less green and more red and blue than human characters like this one:
    http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/4/4f/Alidar_Jarok.jpg

:p
    edited February 2011
    You have to take an extremely liberal meaning of the word "green" to apply it to those Romulans.

When I check them against a picture of Picard, Jean Luc ends up with significantly higher values of red as opposed to green (for instance, Picard 142/110 compared to 133/120), and in some cases (the senator for instance) I get higher green value than I do red (82/81).

This is a greenish cast to the skin, as in there is more green in the mix. Even your own testing seems to bear this out from what you've said.

No one is saying they're the Incredible Hulk-style green.
    edited February 2011
    In no cases did I find any of those pictures having more green than red. Just less red (sometimes, not all the time). Sometimes less blue.

They're not even greenish. You have to look at the color as a whole. They're just less red. Closer to yellow. None of them surpass yellowish enough to get to green. None even get close and are still orange.
    edited February 2011
    I'd buy more species if I could get their bits in the alien options. The last one I got was that cat one and I can’t use any of it from what I could tell the last time I tried.

as for the greeen some times they have had a greenish cast to them not always but some times. I there there’s an episode were a klingon even tells data that some romulan hottie will like his so much she'll lick the green paint off his face. I think it was something they were doing to help emphasis that they are aliens and we can afford body paint now on top of extra ear parts go us.
    edited February 2011
    In no cases did I find any of those pictures having more green than red. Just less red (sometimes, not all the time). Sometimes less blue.

They're not even greenish. You have to look at the color as a whole. They're just less red. Closer to yellow. None of them surpass yellowish enough to get to green. None even get close and are still orange.

Less red, more green on average, meaning that ultimately the hue is greener. Hence "greenish cast" and not "green."

This was specifically done, and has been documented. RCMA (Research Council of Make-up Artists, Inc.) made the green/yellow pancake makeup for Spock, it was a custom job. The makeup is specifically called “LN-1” (Leonard Nimoy #1”) and yes, you can actually buy it if you want.

Initially they weren't going to go with that colour, the character was going to be red, but it looked lousy on film, so they went with green/ochre instead. It was intentionally subtle so as not to dehumanize Spock's appearance and make him unrelateable.

On an unrelated note, Spock's eyebrows are acutally Nemoy's own hair, though the upturned portions are not eyebrow hair. They actually shaved there, and glued on clippings from his chest hair.

Vulcan makeup is actually well documented.