test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let me know when the ground combat patch arrives, until then I'm cancelling my sub

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I am soon to cancel my Star Trek Online Sub. At least for now. I may come back after the ground combat patch has been applied. So I'll keep my eye on these forums so that I'll know when the ground combat patch is released.

Personally I have played for more than 130 hours with Star Trek Online. I love the space combat but I have hated every minute of the ground combat. I cannot speak for other people. What a person enjoys is subjective. However, for me, ground combat in this game is not very enjoyable. There is only so long I can overlook the (what I consider) disappointing for the good. While in MMO terms, 130 hours may not be a lot of hours but I think I have given Star Trek Online more than enough time for me to judge what I like and don't like.

I have to give Cryptic credit. They have made a lot of good changes in the last year to make the game better. I played in the beta knew there were a lot of changes that needed to be made to the game before I would fullly enjoy it. So I held off playing the game until a few months ago knowing that all these good changes were made. And I did enjoy the game a lot more. However I still hated the ground combat. Cryptic is supposed to come out with a patch in the next few months that changes how ground combat works. For the better I hope. I may come back and try the game after they implement those changes but I think I have had enough of the ground combat. If I could ignore all the ground combat missions altogether, I would but you need to do some of them to level up and then to progress the story of course.

So I think I'll play a few final space battles and then cancel my sub. At least for now. As I said, I'll be keeping an eye on these forums and reading the Engineers reports so that I'll be aware of the changes being made to the game. I hope this game grows to the point when I will enjoy the ground combat because I really, really love the space combat. I have nothing bad to say about space combat.

Anyway, farewell for now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Um...........can I have yer stuff?

And 130 hours is decent enough to form an opinion......I'll give ya that.

Well, hope you don't stray for too long..........see ya again real soon.......
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ok goodbye
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I do have one question before I cancel my sub. If I cancel my sub and then renew my sub a few months later do I lose all my inventory items, rank and ships, money/credits and so on?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I do have one question before I cancel my sub. If I cancel my sub and then renew my sub a few months later do I lose all my inventory items, rank and ships, money/credits and so on?

Nope. But I would probably pull any exchange listings and empty my mailbox as bugs can sometimes make those things harder to retrieve. Anything else should be good to go when you come back... and I hope it isn't too long, even as someone who loves the current ground system.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Good Bye, this has to be one of the nicest 'I quit' threads Ive seen in a long time.

I hope you come back soon til then good luck.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wow. you're going to miss the featured episodes over this?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I hope you will come back. I know Stahl and Co. are working hard to improve the game every day..

That being said, this is still a glorified "I quit" thread. I'm sure once Stormy has had his morning Foundry fix this thread will be closed.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

You make it sound like a small thing.
    I, also, despise ground combat. Every time it starts, I stop paying attention to the game. These days, I just avoid it.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    if you'd been reading the dev post you'd know that the ground combat improvement are slated for season 4, which will be released in june/july.

bb
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I must be one of the few who enjoy ground combat.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MDK-187 wrote:
    if you'd been reading the dev post you'd know that the ground combat improvement are slated for season 4, which will be released in june/july.

bb

That post is buried deep inside one of the numerous 20+ page threads. It's a little much to expect everyone to read every forum post. With that said, apparently Season 4 is going to be the biggest patch yet and they are updating the game engine to support some new features. Anyway, I will link the posts dstahl made about it.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3284578&postcount=31
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3284615&postcount=40
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wow! Thanks for all you replies and good will. Also thanks for letting me know that the ground combat revisions will not be arriving until the summer. It looks like there are a lot of changes coming in that patch. So I will definitely check back at that time to see how things are progressing and will likely renew my sub at that time. In the mean time I will try out some other games to keep busy.

Thanks again for all your responses.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wow! Thanks for all you replies and good will. Also thanks for letting me know that the ground combat revisions will not be arriving until the summer. It looks like there are a lot of changes coming in that patch. So I will definitely check back at that time to see how things are progressing and will likely renew my sub at that time. In the mean time I will try out some other games to keep busy.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Good luck to you, I hope to see you around in June though!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    They will still be around when he's back in Summer. He just will miss a few "special" rewards that don't really matter.
    While playing through those missions _now_ will probably lead to more ground combat that he hates.

It might be a good idea to wait then.

Personally, I just do Space PvP and do the PvE content on Normal so that Ground combat is a breeze that my BOs can do for me if I am really lazy.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    In all honesty I don't see much point in subbing to the game right now after the free triial(30 days in the box) will allow you to hit max level and experience all the content. Just unsub at that point and resub when a big update comes out. It makes the game somewhat tolerable then.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Best of luck!

We'll keep a seat open for you at Quark's. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I feel your pain. The ground combat makes me nauseous I want my space combat on Elite so that makes the ground combat 10x worse. Everything takes to many shots which means I'm kiting in a circle around the turrets and it completely ruins the Immersion. When I need to destroy a crate or control console it takes 6-10 shots. Then every other group has a mob that will 1 shot you and everyone but your Borg over and over and over. I don't mind mobs doing high dps but they need to cap their kill shots to 80-90% of health so we can use consumables to heal up.

I did get moneys worth bought the game on Amazon for $2.50 and the deluxe version for $5 so got all the free stuff. However, June/July is to long away for me to continue to sub to a game that I find 50% of it is an Abomination. I'll try the game again after the combat tweaks or if they nerf the HPs on non STF mobs to speed up the ground combat.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    A common comment I've been hearing in general about STO is that people are running out of things to do again. Dailies are only fun so many times and the mission replays don't seem to cut it either. I'd say we need a quick foundry release or STO's gonna be bleeding subs again.
This discussion has been closed.