test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic, ADD ON/OFF Option For Tool Help Tips for STO Players!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
i'm pretty tired of those darn help tips that pops up, i really need this to be off, so the gameplay would be better without them, please Add the Option to turn them off! i'm like wtf when they pop up every time i go to tailor or shipyard other places etc. CAN I PLEASE Play STO with those OFF Completely!
but a plus... it should be nice to have those options for the tips.
please Cryptic

Thanks,
superlink1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    This I agree incredibly with.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'd love this. Cryptic, I think i've been playing STO long enough to not need these unless you guys actually have one for the new stuff you develop.

I don't get the walking tutorial everytime i press wsad so i shouldn't get the tailor tutorial every time i go to the tailor.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    superlink1 wrote: »
    i'm pretty tired of those darn help tips that pops up, i really need this to be off, so the gameplay would be better without them, please Add the Option to turn them off! i'm like wtf when they pop up every time i go to tailor or shipyard other places etc. CAN I PLEASE Play STO with those OFF Completely!
    but a plus... it should be nice to have those options for the tips.
    please Cryptic

Thanks,
    superlink1

The ability to turn off tool tips to some degree has been available in the game for a long time. There are a number of tooltips available in game. Press Esc, Options and then the following:

The easiest to solve your problem would be:
    1) Basic, Non-instant tooltip delay, and adjust the timer. Description: Some tooltips will always display instantly, but other tooltips (usually help-related tooltips) will appear after hovering over something for the number of seconds specified here.

These may also be useful for other tooltips:
    2) Basic, select "Disable Bulletin Auto-Popup" from Off to On. Description: On initial login, recent news and events will be automatically displayed in the Bulletins window. This option will prevent the Bulletins window from automatically opening on login and require you to manually open it instead.

3) HUD, select "Hide Tray Tooltips" from Off to On. Description: If this option is set, tooltips for the ability tray will be disabled.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The ability to turn off tool tips has been available in the game for a long time. To do so: Esc, Options, Basic, select "Disable Bulletin Auto-Popup" from Off to On.

which begs the question, why doesn't this option have a tooltip of it's own? seems strange that they spam us with tailor tooltips but don't bother to add in anything that might actually be useful to show even once.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, not a problem here haven't seen any except an occasional, "How to Warp" when entering SOL.

If they can add a simple off button, fine.

Granted this is not my first game, but if I haven't hit the options tabs before I started playing a game, I explore them very quickly. Problem solved.

Trusting anyone, including a game company, to set defaults to my liking? That's noobish.

I will say I support the idea of a on/off switch. I also find extreme humor in leet players who are tripped up by simple things. If you are humble and realize learning a game means exploring options as well as game play makes you leet, good for you. If not you end up being that person that lists computer specs, stuff bought for the game, or how many times you've done STF's, and then asks "Where's Sulu?" or "How do I find Ambassador Jiro Sugihara in the new contacts window?".
    Cormoran wrote: »
    which begs the question, why doesn't this option have a tooltip of it's own? seems strange that they spam us with tailor tooltips but don't bother to add in anything that might actually be useful to show even once.

Create a tool tip to shut off tool tips. Yeah, you'd think it was useful to show once, but looking through options, how many more are as well? The question to beg is outside of this thread, why would it be more important than a tool tip to change "bloom", or texture details? How many more tips do you need to rationally include this one?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    maina wrote: »
    I will say I support the idea of a on/off switch. I also find extreme humor in leet players who are tripped up by simple things. If you are humble and realize learning a game means exploring options as well as game play makes you leet, good for you. If not you end up being that person that lists computer specs, stuff bought for the game, or how many times you've done STF's, and then asks "Where's Sulu?" or "How do I find Ambassador Jiro Sugihara in the new contacts window?".

I tend to find this a failing of the game itself, STO is the only mmog i've played where i constantly feel completely lost. Recently for me it was emblems, up to that point we'd gone further and further out to get our gear, then all of a sudden it's back at ESD, i had to check the forums just to find it. This then makes me wonder what's going to happen with the next round of items we get, will they be at ESD aswell, or will they goto starbase 39 or K7 or back to the borg sector/ there's a lot in this game that feels counter intuitive and has no documentation for it outside of the forums and this gets coupled with the most basic of information being spammed on us everytime we run around ESD.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Completely agree with this. I'm still getting help tips on my Vice Admirals, and Lieutenant General, and its quite annoying. I've wondered since beta why the option to disable them is nowhere to be found.

Cryptic, make it so :)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The ability to turn off tool tips to some degree has been available in the game for a long time. There are a number of tooltips available in game. Press Esc, Options and then the following:

The easiest to solve your problem would be:
    1) Basic, Non-instant tooltip delay, and adjust the timer. Description: Some tooltips will always display instantly, but other tooltips (usually help-related tooltips) will appear after hovering over something for the number of seconds specified here.

These may also be useful for other tooltips:
    2) Basic, select "Disable Bulletin Auto-Popup" from Off to On. Description: On initial login, recent news and events will be automatically displayed in the Bulletins window. This option will prevent the Bulletins window from automatically opening on login and require you to manually open it instead.

3) HUD, select "Hide Tray Tooltips" from Off to On. Description: If this option is set, tooltips for the ability tray will be disabled.

That's great, but I don't think he's talking about tooltips or the bulletin board, and neither am I. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Totally agree with OP on this.

I do think it is on thier to do list

...........that list must be long :p

Meow
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It is really annoying to always have the game explain how the ESD tailor works, but unless the fix is really easy, I'd probably prefer something else being higher in the dev's priorities.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    thefrayl wrote: »
    That's great, but I don't think he's talking about tooltips or the bulletin board, and neither am I. :D

It's the brown delta with the ? mark (/?\) that you guys mean. It should have a way to be disabled, but it does not...afaik.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ThetaNine wrote:
    It's the brown delta with the ? mark (/?\) that you guys mean. It should have a way to be disabled, but it does not...afaik.

ah so it actually doesn't have an option to turn it off as stated previously? (i cant access sto for a few days so i cant validate what the other poster said heh)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ThetaNine wrote:

I know for a fact that's what I'm referring to, and I'm fairly positive it's what Superlink is referring to as well. I believe this is the only MMO I've played that lacks the option to disable it.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I know for a fact that's what I'm referring to, and I'm fairly positive it's what Superlink is referring to as well. I believe this is the only MMO I've played that lacks the option to disable it.

yeah i was referring that
  • Options
    edited December 2010

It might be a good idea to read the original post (in its entirety) before responding. The "solution" you offer doesn't address the problem being expressed by the OP. I don't see how you could possibly mistake 'when they pop up every time i go to tailor or shipyard' if you had actually read the post.

And I would disagree with Shelkart. This is the only MMO I've played (of the 189 thus far) that still has you receiving tutorial hints at max level. Do STO players have issues with their short term memory or something, where they need to be told who the tailor is or what Ensign Lessa's function is, every time they enter the station (and those areas)? It's an annoyance. My personal solution has been to avoid ESD as much as possible and I don't think that was the intent of the developers (given how much higher end stuff they base there).
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    /signed. I really am sick of having that oranage window pop up EVERY TIME I go somewhere in ESD. A setting to toggle it on/off in player options would be SO welcome.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Completely agree with this. I'm still getting help tips on my Vice Admirals, and Lieutenant General, and its quite annoying. I've wondered since beta why the option to disable them is nowhere to be found.

Cryptic, make it so :)

No doubt. I would also like to see it made so as well as the option to skip the tutorial for new toons! :D
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    bumping this for sake of STO Players :D
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Its stuff like this thats gives STO/Cryptic a bad name... we have been asking for an on-off option since beta.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Aisling wrote:
    Its stuff like this thats gives STO/Cryptic a bad name... we have been asking for an on-off option since beta.

yes we have, but in defense of the STO team, they know about it and have mentioned they will get to it, probably around the same time they disable the tutorial repeat when creating new toons. these both they have acknowledged and are aware of.
    since they seem to correlate the two at the same time, maybe they are connected in a away that needs some serious time to look into it as to not disrupt current gameplay.

meh, while a bit annoying, it is not the largest issue they have. at least it works... :)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    As long as they acknowledged it and arent pulling a Blizzard on us.

While they are tinkering away at figuring this out, I would like the sector space toggle to be put in the options menu... I just dont like UI clutter. But Sector space looks beautiful with out all the grids and pylons and stuff. <3
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Aisling wrote:
    As long as they acknowledged it and arent pulling a Blizzard on us.

While they are tinkering away at figuring this out, I would like the sector space toggle to be put in the options menu... I just dont like UI clutter. But Sector space looks beautiful with out all the grids and pylons and stuff. <3

good idea it would be nice without it lol
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the [URL=" http://forums.startrekonline.com/announcement.php?f=70&a=2"]Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines[/URL] ~InfoNinja
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    bumping for my thread
    /10char :)