test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question: Will we be able to set health for named enemies?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I'm just curious if this will be a feature in the Foundry. There are several instances of a named character in-game being slightly tougher than your average mob. So I'm wondering (for story purposes) if we'll be able to set health parameters (within an acceptable range)?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I doubt we'll ever be offered such a feature as a direct setting which we can manipulate. :o
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Beyond actually receiving the tools to do it, Cryptic is worried about farming and allowing us to manipulate health would make it that much harder for Cryptic to police
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SP3CTREnyc wrote:
    Beyond actually receiving the tools to do it, Cryptic is worried about farming and allowing us to manipulate health would make it that much harder for Cryptic to police

That assumes we'll be able to get XP and/or rewards for UGC missions.

I wonder if we'll be able to set relative levels for the NPCs (eg., +/- 3 of our level) though I suspect we'll have to make them the same level as your character. Of course, I'm not in the beta so my guess is as good as yours.

EB
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I asked a while back if we could altar the stats and abilities of units. They said not at launch. Basically the first version of the Foundry will be bare bones and incredibly basic.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I asked a while back if we could altar the stats and abilities of units. They said not at launch. Basically the first version of the Foundry will be bare bones and incredibly basic.

Yeah, I know that it would be pretty basic. But upping the strength of "hero" units shouldn't be too hard to implement, I would think.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I know that it would be pretty basic. But upping the strength of "hero" units shouldn't be too hard to implement, I would think.

Until the foundry is released it's hard to know, but that seems correct to me.

---

In terms of exploiting, the obvious answer is to make player-crafted opponents reward no experience and no loot. (the amount of XP/loot rewarded from killing an npc is minimal, so that wouldn't be a huge deal).

A more complex (and player-friendly) solution, which would be useful anyway - is to simply move the rewards from trash mobs onto the boss mob:
    - trash mobs reward 0 experience, and 0 loot. Instead that experience and loot is given to their boss.
    - killing the player-crafted boss returns all the loot/experience that you would have received.

So, the boss would appear all-important but is actually irrelevant. Obviously that would also allow the dev to give the loot to a friendly NPC as a quest reward instead...