test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A UGC project

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
There has been a few concerns about the nature of the missions that can be created from UGC. Some feel that they will be shallow copies of the mission created at launch. That the limitations will not give us the diversity we need to tell great stories.

I will thus give away one of my premature plot ideas. We will see how many directions a 'simple' mission can go with it.

Rogue planetecimals are hypothecial planets that exist and roam through the galaxy. They are created during the early developement of a solar system. During the beging of our solar system there were many more planets than nine. It is theorized that one such planet called Theia crashed into Earth and created the moon. But what if......

What if that planet just missed earth. the gravitational forces might have flung it out of its current orbit and possibly out of the solar system itself. Thus making it a rogue planet.

Now for the problem. A rogue planet about the size of Mars is drifting towards Sol. Its own gravitational influence, as it enters the system, will cause havoc with the orbits of Mars, Earth, etc. What is Starfleet going to do about it?

Can't be as simple as that. Also reasoned is that the internal heat from such a planet may make it capable of supporting basic life. So, Starfleet will refuse the destruction of the planet.

"Captain ___________, we have a situation on our hands. In about 50 years a rogue planet named ZY1035 will approach the Sol System close enough to influence or delicate ecosystems. Starfleet Medical has informed us that it cannot be destroyed, so it must be __________________________________________"

Come on, what would you do. What would you have the players do. Now hopefully people reaply and you can see the variety of ways this can go...UGC will work, even for the simple missions. Give it a shot.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    There has been a few concerns about the nature of the missions that can be created from UGC. Some feel that they will be shallow copies of the mission created at launch. That the limitations will not give us the diversity we need to tell great stories.

I will thus give away one of my premature plot ideas. We will see how many directions a 'simple' mission can go with it.

Rogue planetecimals are hypothecial planets that exist and roam through the galaxy. They are created during the early developement of a solar system. During the beging of our solar system there were many more planets than nine. It is theorized that one such planet called Theia crashed into Earth and created the moon. But what if......

What if that planet just missed earth. the gravitational forces might have flung it out of its current orbit and possibly out of the solar system itself. Thus making it a rogue planet.

Now for the problem. A rogue planet about the size of Mars is drifting towards Sol. Its own gravitational influence, as it enters the system, will cause havoc with the orbits of Mars, Earth, etc. What is Starfleet going to do about it?

Can't be as simple as that. Also reasoned is that the internal heat from such a planet may make it capable of supporting basic life. So, Starfleet will refuse the destruction of the planet.

"Captain ___________, we have a situation on our hands. In about 50 years a rogue planet named ZY1035 will approach the Sol System close enough to influence or delicate ecosystems. Starfleet Medical has informed us that it cannot be destroyed, so it must be __________________________________________"

Come on, what would you do. What would you have the players do. Now hopefully people reaply and you can see the variety of ways this can go...UGC will work, even for the simple missions. Give it a shot.

Create an artifical wormhole-like device that would create a gaint C in space. The planet enters one end and gets shot to the other basically causing it to travel in the direction it came from. Or, we make a Transwarp gate and send it straight to the Qo'nos:D
  • Options
    edited November 2010

hmmm unfortionatly in thise case the needs of the many out number the needs of the few. I'd wait for it to drift into Federation space (if it hasnt already) then try to encourage whoever im reporting to to give the General order 24.

failing that try and deflect it so it hits vulcan instead.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, I remember Cryptic posting certain situations/scenarios for the community to tackel back in 2008 to early 2009. They were basically just used for promoting the game, but they were still fun none the less.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hmmm unfortionatly in thise case the needs of the many out number the needs of the few. I'd wait for it to drift into Federation space (if it hasnt already) then try to encourage whoever im reporting to to give the General order 24.

failing that try and deflect it so it hits vulcan instead.

Sutherland, I'm surprised you didnt say "its an undine ship that beams us all aboard and turns us into undine thus giving us an Undine faction!"

I would have to agree with you on that/this :)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    reon wrote: »
    Sutherland, I'm surprised you didnt say "its an undine ship that beams us all aboard and turns us into undine thus giving us an Undine faction!"

I would have to agree with you on that/this :)

*hits reon over the head with a book* that would ruin the suprise attack you fool.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    *hits reon over the head with a book* that would ruin the suprise attack you fool.

DOH!!!

apparently 10 spaces are not characters o_O
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    actually let me change my plan a tad...

The Yellow line will be my flight path
    The Red lines the Rouge Planet (in this Scenerio)

Pauls evil Plan

ok step 1: Im at Woden doing stuff.. i then get the message about said planet... I then slowly head towards where it would enter Federation space taking several detours along the way.. then avoiding vulcan.. getting screamed at by the starbase 54 commander i rush out to help taking notes on how close vega is to earth :O ... (Didnt think it was that close) I then arrive at starbase 54 to have a planet shoved in my face.

Plan A: I somehow get the borg to assimilate the planet then provoke the Undine to come and destroy it
    Plan B: Panic
    Plan C: Im not on my fed toon... not my problem.
    Plan D: General Order 24

Plan A can backfire horrible
    Plan B aftermatch
    Plan C goes wrong.
    Plan D backfires
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm supprised I didn't hear:
    "Summon Q. I'm sure he is behind it."
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm supprised I didn't hear:
    "Summon Q. I'm sure he is behind it."

is he? would he wait 50 years to witness a planet explode?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's not just mars and earth you have to worry about. The kuiper belt, Saturn, Jupiter, Scarlett Johansson; all of the stellar bodies orbiting the sun would be affected by the mass of the planetoid.

That said, internal heat is one thing for a planetoid to have. But will it be able to support life? Not as we know it.

Existing in space, the planet would have no atmosphere to protect the surface or any exposed area from vacuum. The surface would be extremely cold. Even inside the planetoid, miraculous coniditions would have to arise to create life. Conservatively, the mass of the planet would have to be three times earth so the upper crust could act as a shield to the living world inside it. Even then a self-sustaining ecosystem would be extremely taxing.

It would be cool to do a mission in a cave system that resembled Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth, but there's no need to complicate things by setting it on a collision course with Earth. If you want you can play the terrorist angle with Titan, one of Saturn's moons. We believe there might be life in the methane-based atmosphere there.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not necessarily a hypo, our galaxy is going to t-bone andromeda in a couple billion years.

Have Starfleet engineering construct a gravity distortion satellite for ZY1035 counteracting the sun's gravitational pull on it. The small interuption(s) in gravity will throw the planetesimal out of the path of Earth's orbit around the sun.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Klingorion wrote: »
    Have Starfleet engineering construct a gravity distortion satellite for ZY1035 counteracting the sun's gravitational pull on it. The small interuption(s) in gravity will throw the planetesimal out of the path of Earth's orbit around the sun.

I like your answer, mine is:
    a subspace field generator produces a subspace distortion that is counterbalanced by subspace itself, so the actual subspace field is the resulting field of both. The impact of a subspace field is that any mass within the field partially "submerges" into subspace, allowing propulsion of a starship with less energy expense, for instance.

In addition http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Subspace_field

A number of subspace field generators placed around the planet as proposed by the genetically engineered individuals in DS9 would drastically alter the mass of the planet, (if the generators are strong enough) Thus given 50 years of a single tracktor beam would alter the course enough.

This is fun.

As for the possibility of life? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_planet Yes it is Wikipedia but this is science fiction after all. I get a lot of my ideas just surfing around wikipedia, clicking links.

I do like the group of Titan. Some of the outer moons would be an interesting staging point.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SP3CTREnyc wrote:
    It's not just mars and earth you have to worry about. The kuiper belt, Saturn, Jupiter, Scarlett Johansson; all of the stellar bodies orbiting the sun would be affected by the mass of the planetoid

Scarlett Johansson - oh god... I must do something to help her

*Racks brain* Oh I know, 50 years you say? Set up a Team of scientists and engineers to construct massive propulsion systems on the surface. One engine about the size of a city and then blast it sending it in the opposit direction

Or go Armaggeddon on the mother