test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Custom sector space?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Will the foundry tools give us the ability to create a region of space with multiple star systems? These are star systems that will be fleshed out, over multiple stories.

EB
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    no it wont, otherwise there will be a stupid amout because of all the players doing it
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I was imprecise. I'm not talking about creating persistent content in the real world. The devs were quite clear that we can't do that.

What I'm interested in doing is creating my own UGC star cluster that exists only inside an instance I created in the Foundry. Leave the mission and that star cluster goes away.

EB
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    as in you create a star cluster within an already existing sector block or a a star cluster off the border of one like Delta Volanis?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ooiue wrote: »
    as in you create a star cluster within an already existing sector block or a a star cluster off the border of one like Delta Volanis?

I suppose it doesn't matter. In terms of the storyline I'm kicking around, you travel through a portal you discovered on a routine exploration mission which leads you to an unexplored sector of space. Superficially, I imagine it to look like an exploration sector, like Delta Volanis and the others, but there's no reason it has to.

EB
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    In principle, I think you will be able to do what you're proposing.

Let's say you make the player go to the Toron system. Upon entering the system, they fight with some enemy who warps out after his hull hits 25%. At this point, you could have one of the bridge officers say, "Captain, I've plotted the course of the enemy vessel. It leads to the Devore system."

Obviously, there is no Devore system in game, but you have created one for the player to go to during the mission. In the mission the player jumps to warp, and immediately drops out again, presumably in the Devore star system, designed by you. (In reality, they never left the Toron system, which is where their ship will be in sector space once the mission is completed.)

Essentially, (and this is my opnion) I think every time you create an instance, you're creating a whole new star system. As in, going to the Toron system in my mission will look completely different than going to the Toron system in your mission. Both missions reference the Toron system, but the "look" of the Toron system, the number of planets and the layout is determined by the author of the mission, it is not static like Earth Spacedock, and DS9.

So, you could have the player jump to another "star system" by warping from one instance to another or you could actually force them to fly through sector space to another system to continue the mission.

But will you be able to generate a whole new section of "sector space" to explore, even if it is only an instance...I don't think that will be possible. But there are ways of making the player feel like they've just been nabbed by a wormhole and flung across the galaxy. There may even be a way to have the player spawn at a different point in sector space at the end of the mission to make it appear as though they just re-entered known space on the other side of the galaxy, but that is pure speculation on my part.