test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scripting

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Will there be any sort of scripting? I'd like to be able to save a variable between missions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    wrote:
    Will there be any sort of scripting? I'd like to be able to save a variable between missions.

I doubt there will be any scripting, at least not at first. However I REALLY hope that scripting gets added into later Foundry updates. It would be great if scripting could control everything ... number of boffs, what gear is usable, avatar appearance, conditional NPC reactions... etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    there might be scripting 'LITE'
    as in, changing the base color of a force field. or such

later on if all goes well, they might open up more scripting...either in a form of a special code for that
    particular engine or something more generic.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think there's due to be some scripting.
    I mean... there'd have to be if only to define mission fail/complete conditions, I'd think.

I saw one of the devs talk about how you can have ships spawn if your ship enters a pre-defined area--triggering an event, basically. That suggests to me there's some script support. He might have been referring to what will eventually be supported, though. I can't recall.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    I think there's due to be some scripting.
    I mean... there'd have to be if only to define mission fail/complete conditions, I'd think.

I saw one of the devs talk about how you can have ships spawn if your ship enters a pre-defined area--triggering an event, basically. That suggests to me there's some script support. He might have been referring to what will eventually be supported, though. I can't recall.

Hmmm, i would have to agree while also disagree at the same time. In scripting and if there was scripting the player would be able to fix much of the problems in which the devs are required to fix when one sends in a ticket. Though at the same time, to a certain degree it would have to be necessary to writing these mission and episodes.

On a person note, i would love to do some scripting for the purpose of helping to fix some of the problems and updating and so on as this is what i used to do and know how to do.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What people will have to remember that this is the initial v1 of the Foundry tool, and most of the key developer features will remain "locked" until such time as Crytpic are ready to introduce them into the wider STO world. With scripting, it could allow for some really big cheats or bugs to develop so I'm guessing Cryptic will be cautious at first.

However, even if you accept that you have a basic toolset in the beginning, you have a massive array of items, ships, evnironments and characters to play with. For me, I'm planning missions assuming that the Foundry tool will have limited scope in the beginning....

This is really a Call to Arms forall STO fans. The better we make the missions, and the more appealing they beomce, Crypitc will have no choice but to bow to pressure and open up the Foundry to scripting in the future.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    These aren't mod tools (according to dstahl) and there's quite a bit of potential for abuse whenever scripting is implemented.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What people will have to remember that this is the initial v1 of the Foundry tool, and most of the key developer features will remain "locked" until such time as Crytpic are ready to introduce them into the wider STO world. With scripting, it could allow for some really big cheats or bugs to develop so I'm guessing Cryptic will be cautious at first.

However, even if you accept that you have a basic toolset in the beginning, you have a massive array of items, ships, evnironments and characters to play with. For me, I'm planning missions assuming that the Foundry tool will have limited scope in the beginning....

This is really a Call to Arms forall STO fans. The better we make the missions, and the more appealing they beomce, Crypitc will have no choice but to bow to pressure and open up the Foundry to scripting in the future.

Or the more Cryptic will be able to argue that the toolset we have is adequate to make really great missions.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    These aren't mod tools (according to dstahl) and there's quite a bit of potential for abuse whenever scripting is implemented.

Oh i definitely agree. It would have to be very limited in scope and power. But a small set of functions would give us a lot of flexibility. Just take a look at the scripting engine in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Best guess

On release - very limited scripting, prob with a 'scripting wizard' for basic use.
    to set objects as interactable
    to set triggers...you scan this then your BO says that
    to set triggers in general
    to modify NPCs

later - some scripting to modify objects appearance
    scripting to alter enviroment based on triggers

I am not sure if we would ever be able to program in brand new functions,
    but who knows later down the line.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Scripting will be a no not in the way it sounds like you want From this:

Warem wrote:
    I have a question.. is there any chance in hell we'll be able to save data om the module or on the character or somewhere? You see, in an ideal world, it would be rather nice to be able to track standing with certain factions/previous choices of the player on earlier adventures, and have the new adventure develop differently/have different options based on said actions.
    mapolis wrote: »
    I don't believe we currently have this feature in the game as you describe it. I could see it keeping track of what missions you've done, and possibly feed that into the mission dialog trees or something. That would be cool to have in the game in general.

As for the hidden markers
    mapolis wrote: »
    We already have hidden marker volumes that can be used as a mission objective that will complete when the player enters them. These can be used to trigger encounters currently. We don't have random mission branching, but I love that idea, so I'll put it on the wishlist :)

We will be adding the ability to have optional objectives soon, but it's not in yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zeroscifer wrote: »
    Scripting will be a no not in the way it sounds like you want From this:

As for the hidden markers

Thanks for that info!